CJ "Hating"

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by blazerkor, Nov 29, 2020.

1. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I've used that one but its not quite what I want. I've seen it used often when discussing ben Simmons and Joel embiid, so maybe I'll hunt down one of those elsewhere to see if I can figure it out.

2. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Looking at some of these makes Dame seem even more impressive... he seems good in lineups without CJ and has so many shitty teammates the last few years. Makes me excited to see what can happen this year if the additions contribute.

3. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just a few reminders:
    1. 30 Teams in this league, 25 actual all stars, 4 of them play in L.A.
    2. This past season Whiteside made as much money as CJ and in previous years Meyers and Turner combined have made MORE money than CJ.
    Maybe our actual financial problem was paying scrubs all-stars money? Because paying boarderline all-stars - actual all-stars money seems pretty common.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  4. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

What people "dog on" is CJ's effectiveness when he plays backup PG, not his stats when he starts there. These are two very, very different things.

tester551 likes this.
  5. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

We actually need another CJ.

-Everytime Dame and CJ are tired\resting, we're having a scoring drought which makes us lose our lead or fall into a hole early on to play catch-up the entire evening and it's been this way for years.

-We had Curry that one year and we had a perfect record every-time he scored more than 10 (?) points or something.

-Dame playing the entire 1st quarter every night is a stupid strategy as well.

-Our coach needs natural scorers to save his ass.

Lou Williams might be available, even though i'm not a huge fan of his.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  6. SharpesTriumph

If Melo, Kanter, or Ant can fulfil that role it could be a huge improvement as you said with Seth Curry in 2019.

An offensive player like Lou would be very helpful if none of the above three can fill the role... I wouldn't actually get Lou because his defense is unplayable in the playoffs, he makes CJ and Dame look like DPOY. But a Lou type of 6th man such as Jordan Clarkson, Eric Bledsoe, etc would be great.

Blazers Roy likes this.
  7. SharpesTriumph

Assuming the Blazers can get comfortably into a top6 spot the last 10 games of the season need to focus on getting Dame and CJ rested. The last two playoffs Dame has been exhausted when the playoffs started. The goal of the season isn't to have Dame put up video game stats to close the year, its to position the team to contend deep into the postseason.

We saw a fully rested Dame with his back to the wall at the start of the bubble, it was insane. We need to get the team in a position to have that guy available near 100% at the start of the playoffs.

Plently of CJ and offensive creation from other Blazers in the regular season is key to that, even if it costs the team a few wins or few offensive efficiency stats.

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Why are they different other than amount of minutes played at the pg position in a game. When Lillard is playing CJ is limited to about 10-15 minutes per game at pg where as without Dame he is getting 35 minutes at that position in a game. Comparing apples to oranges as it's near impossible to break down CJ's efficiency when they are both available as there are times where CJ will run the point with Dame on the floor as well.

Many posters have said CJ can't play the point and definitely can't play if very well. I posted the link to show that he does have the capability and actually does it pretty well and it would be hard to find another point guard to play the pg as a back up as well as CJ does.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    SharpesTriumph and PCmor7 like this.
  9. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    Well, since we heard from media reports, it must be true. And let's not forget that at the time of both of those proposed trades Paul George and Jimmy Butler had pretty concerning character baggage hanging around them, too. I will grant you that either would be a player I'd consider an upgrade over CJ, though, but I don't think Butler was as clear cut at the time ... his star has risen with the Heat's run.

The second point is more moving of goalposts, though. It's ridiculous to think anyone on this team is going to be as good as Dame, so like I said earlier, if that's your standard, no one's going to reach it. Paul George and Jimmy Butler wouldn't reach it, either. Only now you are bringing the salary into it as a qualifier, which isn't really CJ's problem.

On top of that, it's been established that when Dame doesn't play CJ puts up nearly identical numbers to Dame.

10. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    1) First, it's a subjective observation on your part, but, if we were to cede the point, the fact that he's not the primary ballhandler or scorer and doesn't have the ball in his hands as much covers it.
    2) I don't believe so. A lot of people have been contending it, but a lot of people also have been saying Gary Trent would be an upgrade at shooting guard because of 5 games in the bubble after spending most of the previous offseason and pre-bubble season saying Trent was a disappointing player we should trade for a bag of chips.

11. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    [RANT]So, Olshey has built the best Blazers roster since at least the Aldridge era. We have good defenders available to help cover for the defensive liabilities of our starting backcourt. We have tremendous depth in terms of veterans available to provide additional scoring punch on both the starting and backup positions. And despite all of that, before training camp even gets underway let alone any games to provide any measuring stick of what this team can achieve, we're endlessly debating about CJ McCollum's role on the team? He's not going anywhere, people. Olshey has made that abundantly clear. At the end of the season, if the team crashes and burns despite the improved roster, then it will make sense to discuss CJ's role going forward. Until then, this is STUPID! [/RANT]

SharpesTriumph and Big Dog like this.
  12. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

was able to find, per 36 with Dame off the court, CJ averages 27.8 per game, 4.8 rebounds, 6.1 assists.

13. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

In addition, he typically plays around 36 mpg so those stats are pretty accurate per game and not inflated by projecting like some players who may only play about 20=25 mpg.

14. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Apparently 'hate' is merely watching Blazers games and noticing the obvious. CJ is a brilliantly talented, offensive scorer. (Hate?) He is a highly efficient spot-up shooter. (More hate?) I think he would be at or near All-Star level if he ran his own team. (Even more hate?)

But to ignore that he is ball dominant to the point of often missing teammates who are wide open at or near the rim, or that he only seems to play at the all-star level when Dame is out, or that defensively, his lack thereof creates issues because Dame is already not a great defensive player (although better) can't exactly be ignored. Add to that his lack of efficiency when playing his seemingly preferred over-dribbling style, and that at least seems cause for question. None of these things (good or not so good) seems out of the realm of simple observation.

For it to continually be lazily called hate seems quite the reach.

Interestingly, just had a good chat this morning with a family member of a significant coaching tree and they raised some of the same pros and cons as well as some fairly simple things they felt Portland could do to address the trap issue that they are surprised Portland hasn't tried over the years. The reality based nature of that chat was.....refreshing.

blazerkor, e_blazer and tester551 like this.
  15. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

Let's switch roles. Let's say several posters come in this forum and start a thread maybe every few days or so about the Blazers and it turns into a CJ worship thread or that it even starts out as CJ worship thread like we have had at least 6-8 such threads started complaining about him and you have to experience it for months and years. Would you get annoyed by that? Nobody says CJ is perfect. No player is, but he has been one of the main reasons the team has been relatively successful over the past several years. He's a Blazer and I cheer for him to be successful. Nothing more and nothing less.

16. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I wonder how many threads on other teams sites have people posting comments about wanting to trade for CJ McCollum?
    Just a thought?

Orion Bailey likes this.
  17. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Who's CJ hating on now? Dudes such a hater....

blazerkor likes this.