CJ MCCOLLUM APPRECIATION THREAD!

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BrunoSOC, Jan 9, 2017.

1. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Yeah he was pretty much straight on but it could have been blocked clean also. It was a little close. Making it was huge. I don't mind him shooting it at all.

2. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    ok, but not sure what that has to do with me or the response you made to MY post. If you want to male a blanket statement then just post it on its own as your response had nothing to do with what I posted.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  3. CupWizier

retired
    If you go back and watch how CJ set himself up he was leaning a bit more forward to shoot than usual which looked to me like it would have been difficult to block without fouling as Grant was also on the run and CJ used his body to clear a little space. McCollum has shown he can be an assassin and that was a prime example

Hoopguru, e_blazer and kjironman1 like this.
  4. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

These playoffs, and the view of CJ, will ultimately come down to the supporting cast. Someone other than he and Dame will have to make open shots and if they don't, both will feel the need to take over offensively. And yes that means forcing shots. Players much better than CJ have fallen into the same predicament and have gotten criticized for it when desperation kicks in. But if someone else is hot ....ball movement improves.

Last night was a great win but who in the 4th quarter hit big shots? (besides Collins early and Hark on the pass from Dame) Chief played great all game long, but still bricked two wide open 3's in the last 5 minutes of the game. Someone needs to step up, if not in this series the next. And if they don't, guess who gets the blame?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Bruno_Sabino and Blazers Roy like this.
  5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Cup, good to see ya back man!
    When you were in HS and after did you play in legion ball? If so, I played for Taylor Electric.
    Harold Taylor was my Connie Mack coach through 5th grade through 8th grade.

6. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

Honestly, there are not to many that are as crafty as he's become. He's getting better and better at it also!

7. CupWizier

retired
    Grant's legion ball team was Benjamin Franklin as they had a branch in the Hollywood district. I didn't play Babe Ruth baseball my 15 year old year as i played on our legion team. We had just finished a very strong season and although it would have been fun, it wouldn't have been challenging enough and back then the rules didn't allow both Legion ball and Babe Ruth. They have since changed the rules. My son actually played both his 14 and 15 year old year in Babe Rith and Legion He actually played in the state tourney in La Grande when he was 15 for Babe Ruth and they finished 3rd and then came back home only to start the Legion state tournament in Hillsboro which they finished 3rd as well, lol.

Hoopguru likes this.
  8. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Huh? You quoted me first. My responses were to let you know what I was referring to you in my discussion with another person. You tried to speak up for someone else that didn't need you to speak up for them because I'm pretty sure they understood what I meant by what I said and now you are telling me not to quote you? Try not interjecting yourself into the conversation if you don't want to be involved.

9. CupWizier

retired
    I know I quoted you first. I didn't really need to know and it had no relevancy to me or what I posted. It would have more meaning if it was just posted on its own. I wasn't speaking for anyone else as I was merely agreeing with what someone said. Apparently anything I post now is taken out of context by you. This has been typical for awhile.

10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Trying to be 100% impartial here, I have been told time and time again in life that if the recipient isn't understanding you or taking things out of context, then it is up to you to explain in more clear terms to avoid such confusion and misdirection of context.

This, "taken out of context" thing is not always or even mostly the fault of the recipient.

Not that there is really a fault, other than most people when taken out of context or misunderstood, will usually try to explain more clearly what it is they are trying to say.

11. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I'M going to interject myself into this critically important conversation, with some important advice.

DON'T LISTEN TO HOOPSJOCK! He doesn't know ANYTHING....

except about, you know, basketball, and life and stuff. But other than that, he knows nothing!

hoopsjock likes this.
  12. CupWizier

retired
    If I needed further clarification I would have asked. I didn't need it though. I simply made a statement agreeing I had seen what blue9 had observed. Nobody said or implied that there were many CJ detractors so no reason to bring that in to my response. Go back and read it again and you should see what I am saying.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  13. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Love you too.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  14. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    CJ is an elite scorer in this league. You need those guys in the playoffs.

15. beast crnjo

beast crnjo Well-Known Member

He's redeemed himself for a pretty paltry regular season

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  16. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Weak? CJ shot badly overall but he was a big reason we won Game 1. He was on fire (16 first half points) and a big reason we built a big lead early. Yes, we gave a lot of it back but we threw the first punch of the series and that was mostly because of CJ.

17. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Yeah, to say CJ had a weak game 1 is to purposefully ignore he just came back from injury layoff and was still chipping away rust at the end of the regular season. He missed a lot of shots short in the second half. Game shape, anyone?

wizenheimer can't make it through a post without saying something negative about CJ. Even praise has to be framed around it being an improvement on something CJ is normally bad at.

18. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

so let's review: I say he had a weak game 1 because he missed a lot of shots. You say he had a weak game 1 because he missed a lot of shots. But you add an excuse for it and attack me because I didn't include the excuse...

by the way, here's what I said:

"CJ had weak game 1 in this series but he's been great in the last 3 games. He's been the sidekick that Dame needs. I think every Blazer fan dreads the top of the 2nd and 4th quarters when Dame gets his rests. Far too often the offense has stalled in those periods and given momentum to the opponent. But last night in the 4th quarter CJ was primary in Portland maintaining the lead they had built."

sure trashed him a bunch didn't I?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  19. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

You distort the picture by focusing on the shots he missed when fatigue presumably set in. He got off to a good start. A bit more game conditioning and he's back to maintaining that level of play.

20. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I didn't distort anything, that's you reading between lines that weren't there. I simply labeled his game 1 as weak. Any time a primary option has as many FGA's as points I consider that a weak performance unless the player does a lot of other things well. In other words, scoring 1 point/shot or less is weak, especially in this case where he had as many turnovers as assists