Rumor CJ McCollum for Jahlil Okafor

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Jan 26, 2016.

1. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

You have two issues here with the argument you are trying to make.
    1) JJ and Crabbe do NOT have comparable numbers. They aren't even close. There is a world of difference between 47% and 40%.
    2) You seem to be insinuating that due to the offenses that each team runs, that JJ gets much better & cleaner looks. I don't buy that argument for one second. If anything, I would say Crabbe gets the better looks in general.

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  2. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

You can't sign and trade a player with other players anymore. Has to be only the sign and traded player going out. And if you mean match the offer and then trade to the same team later then we would have to wait a season or more to do that. You can't trade a guy to the team that you matched from for at least one year if not the life of the contract (can't remember which they changed it to in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement).

3. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Crabbe is no where near able to replace CJ yet, if at all, ever.

4. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I go to quite a few Clipper games because I get free tickets. Plus I see quite a few on local TV. And I have come to respect JJ quite a bit. As I have posted before he never stops moving without the ball, and I mean he is running hard most of the time, making him a tough cover.

But because of CP3 excellent ability to deliver the ball to the open man...at the right time, I would not say Crabbe gets the better looks of the two. Plus they run JJ off screens more..... getting him good looks. But yeah 47% from 3 for a whole season is quite a bit better than almost every other player in the NBA. He was a big reason the Clips did not take a nose dive when they lost Blake this season. JJ stepped up for sure. On the other hand this is JJ's 9th season getting 25+ minutes a game, and only the 1st for Crabbe.

I would still play Crabbe at SF though

H.C. likes this.
  5. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I agree with you on both counts. Crabbe gets MUCH more open looks. JJ is typically running off screens at a hundred miles an hour and putting up a shot with about a millisecond to get set and a defender in his grill. His degree of difficulty is more often very high and when he gets rolling it's kind of demoralizing.

6. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    1) JJ shot 47% from 3 this year, 43% last year but those are HUGE anomalies as his career 3P % is 41.2%. Crabbes Career 3P and JJ's are about on par through the first three years of their careers from 3p while Crabbe is a much better 2P.
    2) Coming off a curl to get a wide open look is an easy shot for JJ and its a huge part of the Clippers offense. Yes its a catch and shoot shot but if your a shooter in the NBA then a catch and shoot shot and getting the ball open at the 3p line is pretty much the same thing. When you break down some of the shooting numbers Crabbe and JJ aren't worlds apart but JJ does come out on top in pretty much everything, as he should. On wide open shots which JJ avgs 2.7 a game and shoots 49.7% from 3 while Crabbe gets 2.1 a game and shoots 47.9% from 3. on catch and shoot shots JJ averages 5.9 shots a game where he has the ball less then 2 seconds and shoots it hitting 48% of his threes and 50% overall. Crabbe gets 4 of those a game while shooting 42% from 3 and 43% overall.
    http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/pl...ype=Regular Season&sort=CATCH_SHOOT_PTS&dir=1 JJ

H.C., Eastoff and BBert like this.
  7. KeepOnRollin

KeepOnRollin Well-Known Member

All I am going to say on this is that is MUCH harder to go from shooting 40% from 3 to shooting 47% from 3 then it is to go from shooting say 33% from 3 to 40% from 3.

8. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

What about a 3-dribble pull-up? My admittedly fuzzy recollection has him attacking the basket with a few dribbles before pulling up for the jumper.

9. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Wow - that's pretty amazing! People make a big deal out of Curry's shooting (and they should), but I'm almost more impressed by JJ because he's running and curling SO HARD right before he stops and rises up. To have that body control to can shots, while a defender is flying sideways at you, is damned impressive. Curry seems to take defenders by surprise because they aren't sure when/where he's going to shoot. But everyone knows exactly when/where JJ is going to shoot and he still hits them at 50%!?!

Eastoff and BBert like this.
  10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Good info...thanks

Bottom line is we have an excellent 3 point shooter in Crabbe. Does he however have the ball handling skills to be an effective SG next to Dame. Maybe, but CJ is better at it.

Crabbe is still prefect for this team because he can play both wing positions. He will get 25-30 minutes a game playing both. True we need a big, but in crunch time it is the players with ball handling skills who can create their own shots who win games. We need CJ a little more than we need a big. Bigs keep you in it, but the guards and SF's are the ones who take over and win it.

BBert and blue9 like this.
  11. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

12. BoomChakaLaka

BoomChakaLaka Well-Known Member

Designer / Artist
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (formerly PDX)
    Let’s trade M Leonard and a 2nd round pick for J Okafor!

In a heartbeat

If Okafor does not pan out, his contract expires and no matter, we got rid of Leonard!

dviss1, mook, WillG and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

They won't take Leonard from us but they will almost certainly give away Okafor for next to nothing. I would do that but I'm almost sure he'll end up at Celtics.

14. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Woah...there were rumors last year of them dealing us Okafor for a pick just to dump him. I do think CJ needs to be traded, but not for Okafor. I'd deal him for a 2 or 3. Butler would have been so ideal. As would have George, though his contract and statements about wanting to go to LA would be a big concern.

15. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I don't think Okafor is the answer. Stotts would probably go to a twin towers lineup, but our defense would really suffer. We'd truly have to rely on outscoring opponents while they play D and we do to a much lesser degree.

You'd think Okafor might dominate against opponents' stretch 4s. Possible, even likely. The downside is those stretch 4s would have a field day on offense, too.

If we didn't have Nurk (who I like better at this point), I'd say go get Okafor.

If Okafor is cheap enough, it wouldn't hurt to get him though. That assumes he's not a locker room cancer.

16. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

LoL shoulda could woulda. I would have trade CJ for Jimmy Butter. I wish the Blazers would have explored that more.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  17. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

CJ is worth more than Okafor in my opinion. CJ has proven himself, Okafor has not yet.

BigGameDamian and Denny Crane like this.
  18. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Way more.

I'd think CJ would fetch an established star, and maybe more.

19. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Link? Last I heard they were trying to get way more for him.

20. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

Well this thread is two years old, from the days when Okafor was looking like offensive force in the league.

He won't cost anything right now. If you want him, Philadelphia will give him away for nothing. He is UFA at the end of season because they did not even want to keep him for $6M a year.