CJ McCollum has a pneumothorax (collapsed right lung)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by THE HCP, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

So there is no timeline on his return or trade. Got it.

2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I can’t believe we’re really not going to be able to trade him because of this. Basketball Gods gate us

BBert likes this.
  3. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

deadline is a little over a month away on Feb 10, hopefully he's back within a couple weeks and plays well and shows he is fully healthy and then we can move him. Much of the trade action usually happens within a week of the deadline anyway

4. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

I think they are more cheese grater us. Otherwise, excellent!

5. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

c'mon...are you denying that CJ has spent most of his career playing MeJ and that is not pleasant basketball to watch?

TBpup likes this.
  6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't see the Blazers moving CJ until the offseason given Dame's condition....plus CJ can build a lot more trade value if he plays well in Dame's absence because he's had a subpar season so far....build trade value...don't sell low would be my plan with CJ unless a team calls about him with a great deal in place

swish3 and BoomChakaLaka like this.
  7. Blazinaway

IMO he should available to be traded whatever Dame's condition is since we know he doesn't fit with Dame and if we trade Dame its blow it up time and why keep CJ? However, if there are no decent offers available before the deadline then yeah we wait till summer.

8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Couple 40 pt games before the deadline might change all that and make him a hot commodity but both he and Dame are off their games early this season....to me it's dumb to sell low on your two best assets and Dame's off the table anyway....you could get more value for Ant now than ever before probably...couple great games back to back and teams perk up. We might not see Dame and CJ on the court together for the rest of the season the way things stand.

swish3 likes this.
  9. wizenheimer

I think the notion of CJ building trade value is a fallacy. He's a 30 year old 6'3 guard playing in his 9th season who has appeared in more than 600 NBA games. All 30 teams know what he is and what he can do, on both ends of the floor. There is no upside for his trade value in his 10th season when he's 31, and he'll still be 6'3 next year

he has also had hot streaks before, but has always regressed afterward. Always. So him putting up big numbers for a dozen games or so isn't going to be persuasive either. Whatever his established value is won't be getting better between now and next summer. Hoping to pump that value is just another reason to delay doing what should have been done years ago

10. Blazinaway

No one said "sell low", frankly every team knows what CJ has to offer so it comes down more to whether they want him rather than a few good games in his case, if we got a fair/solid deal you move him, if not wait for summer

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

he built a ton of trade value early last season before injury so I disagree that him getting hot and having a good streak would not increase his trade value....he's our second best player right now and you don't need to dump him for cheap...Dame is out...I think there's a chance he could catch the eyes of some franchises with a good stretch of play...right now no matter what people think should have been done years ago he doesn't seem to be on the table...haven't read any trade rumor juice at all except the one article on the Hawks being a possible landing spot for him..very little CJ chatter outside this board from my trade rumor reading....also being 30 years old isn't out to pasture..especially for a 4 year college player like CJ or Dame .ask Chris Paul ...Kobe and Melo started NBA play as 18 year olds..big difference from a 4 year college player

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  12. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Yes, I deny it. Your post basically said you would rather see the team lose than watch a player you dislike. That is about as selfish a statement as it gets, which is the true irony of the "MeJ" hating crowd.

13. Blazinaway

I don't know what the heck your "dumping CJ for cheap" means amd while he may be our second best player (sad state of affairs) with his bloated contract and deficiencies he's barely a positive contract IMO - so expecting him to build/boost his trade value is a pipe dream

blazerkor and SlyPokerCat like this.
  14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

it means not maxing out his trade value....getting a better player on a better contract ideally...but you're welcome to think otherwise and trade him because you don't think he has the value I think he has or would have with a good stretch of play by the off season...it they can get an impact player for him by the deadline.....sure.....but everything I've read says he doesn't have that trade value now due to his contract..everybody wants to get cap relief and improve....that's life...Neil shopped him for Simmons already and they said hell no....and Simmons can't shoot...CJs contract will be more tradeable with less years left on it....

15. wizenheimer

lol...that's pure bullshit

I know what I said and I know what I meant. Nowhere did I say I wanted the Blazers to lose. That only happened in your mind

what I said was that watching CJ be MeJ was the opposite of entertaining for me. MeJ became toxic to my enjoyment of Blazer games years ago. I have been fine with Little and Simons taking a lot of shots and usage that CJ would have got had he been playing. It was more entertaining even as the Blazers were losing games

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Propagandist and TBpup like this.
  16. wizenheimer

17. wizenheimer

how do you know that's true?

18. BoomChakaLaka

BoomChakaLaka Well-Known Member

Designer / Artist
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (formerly PDX)
    no point in trading CJ until Summer UNLESS a package deal with RoCo or Nurkic gets us something good

riverman likes this.
  19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

He was in the mention for Allstar status before he went down....it was crushing to the momentum he built when he got injured really, but I guess you weren't watching the beginning of last season when he looked the best he's looked in his career? I speculate here....pass on stuff I read about that I find interesting but like you, me and everyone else...we don't know things but we filter the info we read about and observe the player on the court....pretty simple really. CJ had a really impressive start to last season.....if you couldn't enjoy that or remember it well.....that's all good.

20. wizenheimer

I simply disagree because I don't think any GM's will set their valuation of a well established 29-30 year old player based upon a hot streak. Especially when that player has had several hot streaks in the past and has ALWAYS regressed to his norms

besides that, betting on CJ somehow coming back from an injury and emulating those 12 games is betting on longs odds. It's more probable he comes back and plays like he always plays...or even plays worse considering what he's done so far this year.

I'm not saying trade him just to trade him, although that wouldn't bother me. I'm also not saying trade him for a shit return; although I think there are broad options for a decent return. I'm just saying that the potential of him somehow increasing his established trade value is so remote it's not worth considering.