CJ McCollum is the backup PG

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Schilly, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Who said he's going to start? And btw he's proven more in this league than CJ and Crabbe combined. People are underrating him. He attacks the basket and has a bit of a post game. Those are two things we really don't have. IMO were going to struggle in half court so anyone that can play it is welcome. He will be in the rotation if he's healthy. It remains to be seen if he will be.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    UncleCliffy'sDaddy likes this.
  2. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

I had a feeling Stotts will mess up the rotation.
    CJ is doing way too many shenanigans for a PG at this point, it's like making Jamal Crawford your backup PG.

Why come out with these kind of weird declarations when Fraizer is playing great?

Denny Crane likes this.
  3. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

What about Allen Crabbe though? If Harkless continues to impress, he and Aminu will get minutes at SF. I wonder if Henderson won't be a bench rider like Kaman. He's not under contract next year.

4. Hobbesarable

Hobbesarable Cartoon Character

I expect to see Aminu starting at the 3 with Harkless backing him up.

Crabbe hit his shots and played well defensively against the Warriors. Perhaps this is his breakout year and become our starting SG for years to come!

5. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Wouldn't it be nice if nobody gave a shit if they were starting or not and the coach could let the opposing team determine which lineup he wanted to use? You know: teams with a big scoring SG - start Crabbe or Henderson. Teams with a scrubby SG, we're fine with CJ.

jlprk and VanillaGorilla like this.
  6. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I like Henderson's tenacity, but if Crabbe continues to play well, I don't imagine he'll be in the blazer's long term plans. Also he's coming off a hip surgery and hasn't even participated in contract drills. I think he'll only get into the lineup if someone starts stinking it up.

7. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

C.J will be the Blazers Jamal Crawford. So get used to it.

8. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

A me-first lockeroom cancer that takes ill-advised shots?

That Jamal Crawford?

Really? Did you think before you typed this, or did you draw this name out of a hat, and we just got lucky you didn't draw Travis Outlaw instead?

9. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

Actually I'd prefer to see him play and play well so we can trade him at or before the deadline to a team that needs a solid SG, be nice to get something back for him

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  10. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yeah I dunno I think I'd rather just see us stick with a consistent rotation. What I mostly would be excited to see is play everyone except Dame under 30mpg so we have the energy to run around like madmen 48mins and wear out the other team. It doesn't have to all be fast breaks either just run around a ton in the half court offense and hustle to every spot on the floor.

11. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we won't get through 82 games without some extended injuries. Regardless of how well everyone plays Hendo will get a chance. Hell look we've already had Hendo, Alexander, Aminu, Harkless, Kaman, Lillard miss games and we're only two games through the preseason.

12. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Well for one, Frazier is a third string PG (great is subjective). Secondly, Neil and Terry have said all summer long CJ will play backup PG. It insures more important players (than Frazier) get consistent development time (Harkless, Crabbe, Pat).

Draco likes this.
  13. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

C.J is a volume shooter. There's going to be nights when he will take ill-advised shots and there will be nights when he's just off. Then there will be times after the game when people come bitch about it in this forum. There will also be nights when he can't miss. I didn't say anything about his locker room presence.

14. 3RA1N1AC

3RA1N1AC 00110110 00111001

This is weird. Cj is a guard, he will play some point, but wtf stotts. Really no need for declarations at this point.

Hendo will definitely get minutes anyways, so maybe that's the angle, cj gets backup minutes at both spots, everyone's happy.

15. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    I take that to mean he's the #2 one on the team. He will also play the two. He may be our #1 two, or our #2 two. Maybe even our #3 two.

I took that to mean that he would get some minimal number of minutes this season at the one, e.g. one minute. He'd probably get more than one at the one, especially if he's more than the #3 one, but the summer sayings didn't say.

16. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

To quote Jalen Rose from his podcasts here, "positions were created so that a novice could understand the game of basketball."

Feel like it applies here.

CJ is a guard, a perimeter player with a good handle who initiates offense (whether it be for himself or his teammates). Think what Stotts is trying to say is that CJ will get PT with the second unit and have the ball in his hands. The "PG" thing is simply lip service.

Draco likes this.
  17. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I think CJ is backup PG for lack of anyone else.

The team is 2-3 deep at every position but PG.

For example...

If Leonard misses games, Davis or Vonleh can play and it's not a giant step down.

If Plumlee misses games, Davis, Kaman, or even Leonard or Vonleh can fill in.

If Aminu or Harkless misses games, Crabbe is more than a decent sub.

Crabbe also gives us excellent depth at SG.

But at PG...

Lillard misses a few games and it's CJ (a SG, not a PG) playing PG with a massive drop off to the reserve, Frazier.

It's a long season and guys are sure to miss games here and there for all sorts of reasons.

From Yahoo! Blazers page:

upload_2015-10-14_6-43-11.png

Nikolokolus likes this.
  18. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. I do think Frazier could be just as good with most of the PG responsibilities, ie bringing the ball up court against pressure, passing, defense.....

But in Terry's offense the PG apparently needs to be able to shoot, and that's where the drop off will occur. Maybe Stotts likes CJ as the BU PG because he doesn't have to change the offense when Dame goes out. If Frazier is in he pretty much becomes strictly a distributor. (except for the occasional wide open 3) Someone else will have to step up on offense and be aggressive with the ball in his hands. Not a lot of candidates. Possibly Henderson or Crabbe????

19. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    How would the lineup look if we had a guy like DJ Augustin as backup? Or CJ Watson (another CJ!)?

This guys were had for vet minimum, I believe (Augustin since signed a little bit bigger contract).

I'm not really seeing much potential in Frazier.

Draco likes this.
  20. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I've been wanting Watson here for nearly five years. He's be a perfect backup PG.