CJ Plan

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by magnifier661, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

He may be a little under sized to be a starter, although guys like Monte Ellis have proven that 6'3" shooting guards can start. None-the-less my "plan" for CJ is the same as it was when we drafted him, bring him off the bench as a SG and give him 25-28 minutes a game. I like him at the end of games the same way Stotts used Mo. We will often need more than just Lillard at the end of games who can create his own shot.

Wes is better than CJ at a few things while Cj is better than Wes at a few things. Love to merge them into one player, but that technology is a ways off.

2. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Yeah, but we've also seen what happens when a small guard like Ellis starts alongside a small star guard like Curry: the defense isn't playable. One has to be sent out, and it's not going to be Curry or Lillard. That's a big obstacle to him ever starting while Lillard is entrenched at point guard.

He can evolve into instant offense off the bench, but it's very hard to envision a long-term starting backcourt of Lillard and McCollum if you want the Blazers to be a contender.

3. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    I think CJ is a good guy to have on the floor with other good scoring options like Lillard and Aldridge.

4. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I'm pretty sure most of us figured him to be our first guard off the bench when he was drafted.

5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I like CJ, but Giannis Antetokounmpo sure would look good in a Blazers jersey right about now.

6. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

I hope CJ can become a Jeff Hornacek type player. They have a similar style. Jeff was an undersized 6-3 SG with mediocre athletisism, but he was smart and a lights out shooter. It did take him a couple of years to develop.

[video=youtube;TV38gSMuCqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV38gSMuCqA[/video]

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Well CJ and Crabbe are supposed to be lights out 3pt shooters but I haven't seen a hint of that so far

8. Sinobas

Really? CJ shot a decent percentage last year, and had a great shooting performance in this summer league.

9. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I'm still pretty happy with CJ. Have to keep in mind he basically missed two years with foot injuries, and last year was almost non-existent with his injury and being buried on the depth chart. This season he'll get a chance early to show what he's got.

10. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    Let's see great shooting in real games before I get excited. As a 6-3 SG, that's what you gotta have.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Last season CJ barely broke a sweat and got his jumper blocked quite often when he did play. You are right though, he had "a" good summer league game from deep. 1 out of 5 games if I remember correctly. CJ is talented, but wait and see him when a quality NBA 2 guard contests him. I hope he takes the next step. We'll find out soon enough.

12. Sinobas

How many times did he get his jumper blocked? I don't remember that at all. He shot a better 3pt% than Damian Lillard did his rookie year.

13. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

CJ is already getting written off by some of the impatient blazers fans. He's a legit 6'4, I don't see him as undersized at all. He's got some sneaky size to him like Wade. He's bigger than monta ellis. His athleticism is underrated as well. He can get his own shot. He's got a killer crossover IMO and I love players that play at their own pace.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  14. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    If he shows any of those things in real games, then I'll believe it.

In SL against youngsters, he shot a middling percentage by never taking over games, true, but I want to see him make 2 or 3 long ones in a row and get hot. Instead of having to be sneaky, let's see his talent be obvious. Have one hot game where he's smoking, unstoppable. Or even a quarter.

15. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    "Sneaky size." I like it. Also: I'm not balding, I have "sneaky hair".

16. Sinobas

CJs eFG% was much better than LaMarcus Aldridges!

17. Prue

Prue Member

I don't see CJ getting 'starter' mins. The concept (I would hope) is to use CJ on the 2nd unit so that there is no 'drop off' in production when Wes has to sit down. If ever there was a clear roadmap for what a Championship team needs to have going for it, its the Spurs. I dislike the Spurs, but damn if its not just pick your poison all across the board. Hell their 3rd string options can get in the game and do some damage if they play. The point being: Portland needs to develop CJ (and Will, T-rob, Joel) to be a collective 6th man. We've got Blake back, there is your swap for the 1 when Dame sits...CJ isn't going to get much point time, not to say he still can't run the offense though...

If we are just focused on CJ here though, I almost like Will as a better option in at the 2. Will seems faster, can play way higher above the rim and can be a threat. CJ doesn't come off as a threat...in reviewing some highlights of his games last year he looks a little clunky on the dribble. He doesn't seem to 'burst' past his man (no high gear), he doesn't have the muscle/frame to bully his way into the paint either. He's smart though, he makes good decisions with the ball, he finds open men when the D does collapse on him and given a set part in the rotation I think he'll be solid. But he's going to have to embrace (like they get SA players to buy into) his role. Take on that challenge and be an impact player when its his turn.

Some interesting CJ lineups to think about:

Robin, LA, Victor, Blake, CJ - Inside-Out
    Assuming Victor is a player for us and gets some rotation time when Nico sits, I really like what this line can do. Defense with Robin & Victor (lessor extent LA) and some potential for some big points if the 3-ball is dropping. Blake or CJ drive the lane, if there is some good channels open then we get 2 maybe a foul. D collapses we hit Robin or LA and a strong finish at the rim. If the D collapses and there is no inside open we kick it to Victor or Blake/CJ and spot up for a tre. IN ADDITION, you are resting Dame, Wes, and Nic all at the same time...this lets you bring all 3 back (say at the end of the 1st half) with Kaman (to protect Robin fouls) and T-rob. That's productive unit on its own with some options.

Kaman, Joel, T-rob, Will, CJ - Starters Reprieve
    Need to rest the starting 5 in a full on Hockey Line Change (not sure why more teams don't do something like this...), then this line up allows you to do that. If you want more 'control' you swap in Blake for Will. This, in theory, could be our high-flying act. I like the concept of playing High>Low>Oop ball with Will setting the offense at the top of the key extended, pass off to CJ behind the 3 at the far court. While CJ passes into Joel (about where LA likes to catch it) then will is rounding outside the 3 line opposite court. Joel kicks it back out to CJ while Will grabs a screen from T-rob. CJ lobs to Will coming opposite baseline airborne for the dunk. Lots of opportunity to pass this ball around though and get some jams...T-rob can slip his man and flash for a jam (like what LA use to do when we had Andre running point), T-rob can catch at the elbow and lob to Kaman opposite the key or to a cutting CJ after the initial entry pass. So long as this unit is MOVING around and CUTTING (something we didn't see much of last year) this could produce some points (more than we give up) and let the full starter crew rest up. I could see this lineup at the end of the 3rd, maybe 3:30 to go or so.

18. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    And still Portland can't win without Lma. Guess that proves that eFG% is worthless in trying to value a superstar

19. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I do think that he has a good change of speed ability though. Not the ball handler or passer of an Andre Miller, but if Andre is crafty enough to always get his shot off, then I think CJ can too. I realize one is a PG and the other is a SG, but they both have a good change of pace game that keeps their defender off balance.