CJ taking it to another level

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by fumanchu, May 4, 2019.

1. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Cherry picking stats now?

McCollum had 35 points on 12-18 shooting ( 66% shooting) as well as 7-8 from 3 (87.5%)

Durant had 26 points on 8-25 (32%) and 1-8 from 3 (12.6%)

Jus sayin'. Using one game as a metric of efficiency is very flawed. They use averages over a season so that it paints a more accurate picture.

RSC60 likes this.
  2. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    Look buddy, if you want to discuss, then discuss, but quit with the backhanded personal attacks.

RSC60 likes this.
  3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Because I'm looking at big scoring games. Not averages. Dame doesn't average 50 points either, does he? People are talking about CJ today because he put up 41 points last night, but I'm trying to illustrate how inefficient that game was compared to other huge playoff games recently.

CJ has a ton of talent, and he can take over a game and make shots that most people can't make... but I just want the guy to not tunnel vision so much. I don't see why that's so controversial. Just because you hit your last two shots doesn't mean you need to start jacking up shots with three guys on you.

hoopsjock, Strenuus, royo and 4 others like this.
  4. Natebishop3

You get condescending with me and tell me to learn to enjoy the game, and I say that post can fuck off. Not against the rules. Deal with it.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  5. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    What he does that I think a lot of people undervalue is he creates shots, he creates good shots and he makes tough shots. Sometimes you just need a guy who can break down a defense. Sometimes you just need a guy who is a threat to do that. It opens up guys, if not for passes, on the boards. And as much criticism as CJ gets for dominating the ball, his pass to Hood off that loose ball for the winning 3 was sensational.

He's also a guy who steps up. He's never overwhelmed by the situation. He is a rarity in that he wants challenged. He wants to make bigs shots and highlight plays, OK, maybe a little too much, but those are guys who usually step up and play the best on the biggest stages.

tlongII and Darkwebs like this.
  6. Natebishop3

I agree with you, but at the same time he needs to recognize when he has the defense now completely focused on him, and pass the ball. Dame has gotten better at recognizing that, and now CJ needs to follow suit.

7. RSC60

RSC60 Active Member

Dude Cj saved your ass last night. He can do whatever he wants he knows what he’s doing. He shoots 46% from the field and 40% from 3 in his career. He’s an automatic bucket getter, back to back 3rd seeds, 2 wins away from the conference finals I think he’s TOTALLY not hurting the team at all

8. RSC60

RSC60 Active Member

Mann thank you it shocks me people hate on Cj

9. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    I wish he would recognize that. But, at the same time, our fanbase needs to recognize this is not the Jetsons and the players aren't robots and sometimes the things that make them great are things that also sometimes will drive us a bit crazy.

Would you rather have CJ taking 40 shots or Mo and Chief taking 20 that they are trying to create on their own?

CJ has a very rare, particular skill that is also that the current market undervalues: An ability to create terrific scoring opportunities in tight space. That benefits everyone even if he does take ill-advised shots from time to time.

GoBlazersGo likes this.
  10. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    It kind of gets to the point of what the heck is going to please people. CJ's not Giannis. OK. But you know what, he's pretty good, pretty gifted, and he works pretty hard. He's not a cancerous influence, he's consistently risen to the occasion whenever we've needed/asked him to, he's performed his best in the playoffs ... what is he, nine of the last 11 playoff games with more than 20 points. We've experienced a lot of on-court success with him being our second-best player.

It's like turning down Cindy Crawford because you can't get over the mole on her lip.

GoBlazersGo, tlongII and Darkwebs like this.
  11. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    Lets also not forget the incredible defensive play on Murray (?) to get us that last drive by Dame to send it to 4th OT. That tip of the ball by CJ that went off of Denver's fingertips was huge. I had no hope at that point

GoBlazersGo, royo, tlongII and 2 others like this.
  12. Natebishop3

It doesn’t have to be Mo and Chief taking those 20 shots. We have other guys who can score. Case in point - Rodney Hood. When Hood is that dialed in, we don’t need CJ to go one on three. He completely missed a wide open hood on his first shot. That could have cost us the game.

13. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    Heck, the strip and 3 against Paul George in the last series. And following that game I still remember arguing with three forum members that the metrics still indicate he's a horrible defender.

Some fans will never appreciate CJ because his game doesn't aesthetically please them, or they are caught up in metrics, or think height is as precious as gold, or they see some other guy a couple of times per year and he plays well and they think he's that good every single game for 82 games.

It's hard for me to recall such a productive, big-time player who never caused any waves on a winning team get as much grief as CJ receives from some of our fans. I'm surprised I haven't read today some criticism about him having a toe on the line on the one shot he made in overtime. We get so caught up in what CJ isn't that we totally forget what he is and what he does.

CupWizier likes this.
  14. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    How many shot opportunities did any of the three guys you mentioned create for themselves? And how many of them have been anywhere near consistent as CJ's been over the course of several years?

If you really think we even get the game to overtime last night with Rodney Hood filling the CJ role ... heck, if you think we are even in this position with Rodney Hood filling the CJ role, I'd love to be competing against a team you'd construct.

I mean, I think you actually are going to absurd territory here by saying Rodney Hood is going to replace CJ's production.

15. Natebishop3

........ what?

16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

He didnt say hood would replace production. He is saying cj went one on three leaving hood open. No pass. Missed shot. Luckily, it bounced right and he git the rebound.
    Pass the ball to an open, hot hood initially and game is over without luck.

Im pretty sure nate would say the same about hood if the roles were reversed.

Jordan won six titles and most game winning shots made were by him kicking out to guys like armstrong and kerr and kucoc, etc.

Im not advocating cj isnt good for the team, but i see nates point and for him to be put down for it is silly.

No shot is a good shot from anyone when its one on three with wide open teammates. Period.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  17. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Some people cannot see the forest for all the trees.

18. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

So, what you're saying is that CJ is a SG and Dame is a PG? Brilliant fucking analysis!

PCmor7 likes this.
  19. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    You're talking about the other guys we have who can score. The problem is that none of those three guys you mentioned are consistent scorers, and they are not at all shot creators for themselves or anyone else.

You're complaining about CJ making a bad decision. Except he has the skills that put him into the position to make that bad decision and which also led to a lot of positive outcomes last night.

It's easy to say Rodney was dialed in last night. His 19 points on his 6-of-8 shooting looks really good ... when taken out of context. He's not breaking down defenders off the dribble. His scoring opportunities generally were created out of either the low post or because someone else made the defense react and put him in position to score.

20. PCmor7

Saying this for years
    Yeah. CJ's not Dame. So CJ isn't that good and we need to unload him.

You know. He sometimes takes bad shots. Only good player in the NBA to do that.

kjironman1 likes this.