CJ's wine-ing

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Rastapopoulos, Apr 24, 2021.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I don't write for the NYTimes!

2. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

dude, it was a joke…. I’ve been in the wine industry for two decades…. heck, I run a winery.

Fairly-Hard, SlyPokerDog and riverman like this.
  3. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

not many details about what the McCollum's purchased other than 318 acres

they purchased an existing retail nursery that CJ's wife want to keep going. Most of the acreage is undeveloped. There is a 5 acre lake and a gravel quarry on the property; strange combo

plant-able vineyard acreage in the Willamette valley sells in the $15,000-50,000/acre range. The nursery, which is reportedly a thriving one favored by CJ's wife will add value. So will a 5 acre lake. So then, the sale price could have been in the 10 million range, perhaps more. Expensive hobby

4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

At any rate real estate is a sellers market right now...Odd time to make such a big purchase but money isn't a problem for CJ at all these days and the wine industry is more than a "hobby" in his life. CJ is a doer. Now with a child coming he's building his foundation....I'm glad he's doing it here.

5. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

A lot better then buying a bunch of cars or other purchases that are not an appreciating asset. Heck he might make a ton of money off it. His wines have all sold out at $50 a bottle in hours. Maybe he will be the Paul Newman salad dressings of wine some day.

Even if he loses some I'm sure having signed over $200 million in NBA contracts with the chance to sign more plus his endorsements, he will be fine.

riverman likes this.
  6. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

It's also likely a tax shelter because I believe if he's qualifying it as a business purchase the land tax is lower than residential and obviously much lower than his income tax bracket. So he gets time to grow his grapes and new business and have a hobby and get out of some income tax. That CJ is always thinking, he might annoy the shit out of me on the court sometimes, especially when paired with Dame but he is seemingly a really good guy and brilliant off of the court.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  7. BLAZINGGIANTS

It's not a tax shelter, though there are some various tax advantages related to the property. CJ bought a nice property in an up-and-coming AVA, with one-third to one-half of it being plantable (at most) for vineyard at this time (but the land needs a bit of work to plant that much as vineyard). The property is not something one should expect to be fully developed to vineyard, but there are multiple business opportunities for the particular property.

blazerkor and SlyPokerDog like this.
  8. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
  9. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.

Burns inside? Perhaps effort on defense and avoiding tunnel vision when he has the ball in his hands could be points of emphasis? I don’t know how many possessions he had shooters like Simons WIDE open and he dribbled into a contested shot of some kind. He needs to stop working on dribbling and shooting where he is elite and work on legitimately every other aspect of the game.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

His wife already said she wanted to keep the nursery on the property operational.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Moving ahead and asking the coach to hold him accountable on defense was all I needed to hear...there's nothing gained by highlighting how much ISO dribbling he did in the past...time to move on from highlighting his weakness and respecting his work ethic....beginning of last season CJ played his best ball in a Blazer uniform before his foot injury....I wouldn't question his work ethic....early this summer he worked out with Roco..last season he made a big jump shooting the 3 and passing ..this summer he said he's working on lateral movement for defense.. I think CJ will prove alot of people wrong this season about whether he can become a two way player or not..he's leapt over these hurdles all his life

stampedehero, tykendo and Idog1976 like this.
  12. Idog1976

Idog1976 Well-Known Member

I look to the stars.
    I don't question his work ethic at all, sorry if that felt implied. I question his focus on weaknesses rather than improving on strengths. That's very different. He was playing fantastic ball until the injury. If he can play offense at that level, that would make up for a lot of his weaknesses.

riverman likes this.
  13. BLAZINGGIANTS

Yes, but there were still additional business opportunities and a couple homesites on the property, as well.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I'm thinking wine making goes hand in hand with pot farming!

stampedehero likes this.
  15. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

To much has been made of CJ being a iso player, imo. He's a shooting 2 guard in the NBA, most in the assoc. iso just like he does. Its not like we've had an all star 3 that can flat fill it up so He's had to be #2 to Dame.
    When Dame has been out and CJ was asked to move the ball more he did. There is a definite argument about how effective he and Dame are defensively, if Billups has an impact on that, whole new game!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    SharpesTriumph and riverman like this.
  16. BLAZINGGIANTS

Right now there are some restrictions on co-mingling those two things on one contiguous property, but I'm not sure what all of those are, and I don't know CJ's plans beyond simply growing vines and operating the nursery. But there's some timber and what not on the property as well.

17. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

18. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I know you'd have to have seperate financial accounts for the two due to the weird hesitation for banks to deal with cannabis money but that should be easy to get around as long as you don't ship interstate or international with the pot.

19. BLAZINGGIANTS

I also believe the OLCC does not let certain things mix depending on the use of the licensed property. But I have not yet dived deep into those guidelines.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    SlyPokerDog and riverman like this.
  20. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    All he has to do is raise alpaca for the wool festivals and the benefits of farmer tax status..

riverman likes this.