OT Cleveland Indians vs. Chicago Cubs series thread..

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by BigGameDamian, Oct 22, 2016.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Cubs up 3-0!

2. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Can we please put this lie to bed?

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

"To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the "invention" of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign. If, for example, President Eisenhower had said in the mid-1960s that he, while president, "took the initiative in creating the Interstate Highway System," he would not have been the subject of dozens and dozens of editorials lampooning him for claiming he "invented" the concept of highways or implying that he personally went out and dug ditches across the country to help build the roadway. Everyone would have understood that Eisenhower meant he was a driving force behind the legislation that created the highway system, and this was the very same concept Al Gore was expressing about himself with interview remarks about the Internet."

There.

GO CUBS.

BBert and julius like this.
  3. Nate

Nate #itsokaytobewhite #wakandaforever BANNED

I thought the interstate highways were started as a result of WWI?

4. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I thought they were started as a result of congestion in the downtown areas, so traffic could be diverted around for those passing through?

5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Why? It's fun. Let us have our fun.

6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Because it's a lie. Plus I'd say there are lots of people (conservatives) that actually believe it.

BBert likes this.
  7. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Regardless of why, Eisenhower was a huge reason why they came to be. He wasn't out digging trenches though.

8. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    It's the old saying, you say a lie enough times and it becomes the truth. Or, "A Lie Can Travel Halfway Around the World While the Truth Is Putting On Its Shoes"

dviss1 likes this.
  9. Nate

Ok I looked it up, the first attempts at interstate highways was in 1916, it was stalled by the financial burden of WWI. Eisenhower was a Lt. Colonel during WWI and along with the army, went on a cross country road trip. The trip was part victory lap, part recruiting, and part "let's see how easily our army can travel our own country in case of invasion". The roads were in horrible condition, and Eisenhower thought something needed to be done about it. After WWII Eisenhower pushed heavily for better interstate highways. This was influenced by that trip in 1919, as well as seeing how easily the nazis travelled using the autobahn.

dviss1 likes this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

GO CUBS!!!!

blue32 likes this.
  11. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

It's an exaggeration. Pretty sure SNL made it into a big thing. It was the same way with Sarah Palin. She never actually said "I can see Russia from my back window," but because they said it on SNL, many people thought that she actually said it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/palin/russia.asp

dviss1 likes this.
  12. Nate

Of course it's a lie. I invented the internet. And Hillary Clinton raped me, about 16 years ago.

dviss1 likes this.
  13. Nate

Today at school I heard two teachers talking, one of them said he was rooting against Cleveland because he "took exception" to their logo, the other responded with "oh yeah, it's totally racist". Does anybody else think so? It's obviously not racist, based on the definition of the word. But racially insensitive maybe? I can see why people dont like the Washington red skins name. No one likes being called a white skin, or a yellow skin, or a black skin, or a brown skin. But I really don't see how the Cleveland Indians is racially insensitive (RI) at all.. are the Minnesota Vikings RI? The New England patriots? The Boston celtics? I could go on and on...

14. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Plus, these teams took the names Indians, Chiefs, Braves, because they were warriors. It's not meant to be an insult.

Nate likes this.
  15. Nate

Seriously, I remember thinking it was so cool that the Kansas City Chiefs were a team as a little kid.

16. julius

singer songwriter
    How is Vikings, Patriots and Celtics logos racially insensitive? Especially Patriots?

The NAME isn't insensitive, it's the LOGO that is. It is a caricature of a Native American.

The Vikings logo, outside of the historically inaccurate horns, is not a caricature of Vikings. Nor is the Patriots logo. And at best, you could make the case for the Celtics being a caricature of whatever the hell their logo is (a leprechaun) but it was done as a homage to the Irish population in the Boston area.

Patriots are obviously because of the birth of the country, and Vikings was because of the strong Scandinavian population in Minnesota/area.

Not sure how their logos are racially insensitive, especially compared to the Indians logo.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    dviss1 likes this.
  17. Nate

They aren't, that was my point...
    And how is the Viking logo not a caricature of Vikings? That's exactly what it is.... or it wouldn't be the logo... Vikings were also murdering assholes, I'm part Scandinavian, maybe I don't want to be associated with a bunch of people that travelled around and raped and pillaged and enslaved a bunch of Irish people (which I'm also part Irish).
    As for the patriots, not everyone wanted a revolution, there were a lot of loyalists to the crown, and they thought the people fighting in the revolution were crazy extremists. Not all white people from New England were patriots.... the Boston celtics is self explanatory.

The only thing that ties the Cleveland logo to native Americans, is the feather. Which is actually historically accurate.... Should they have whitewashed their logo?

18. Nate

What about the Notre Dame fighting Irish? Maybe I don't want to be stereotyped as a violent Irishman?

19. Nate

And the logo of the patriots is a white person wearing a hat of that time period. What about all the black people that fought for our independence? Some of them probably didn't even have a hat. What's that team trying to say? Only white people with hats were patriots?

20. julius

singer songwriter

You really are giving the impression you don't know what the word caricature means.

The only thing? Do you not know the history of Chief Wahoo, or how Native Americans were presented in pictures/media in the 50's (and before)?

dviss1 likes this.