OT Cleveland Indians vs. Chicago Cubs series thread..

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by BigGameDamian, Oct 22, 2016.

1. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Pirates aren't a race of people. Neither are Buccaneers. And if you want to claim that the NAME Viking is offensive, go ahead. But we're talking about the logo.

The ONLY thing you've complained about the Vikings logo is that it has the horns, which for some reason was a created characteristic that was (wrongly) associated with the Vikings.

And somehow I think that horns on a drawing aren't as dehumanizing as a logo drawn to emphasize non white difference in them.

dviss1 likes this.
  2. Nate

Nate #itsokaytobewhite #wakandaforever BANNED

What negative stereotype is chief wahoo portraying? A big nose?

3. julius

singer songwriter
    Where did I say you don't get to have an opinion on the matter? You're just going with the typical white guy responses to any time anyone says that the Redskins name or Indians logo is maybe offensive or insensitive.

"What about whites? Vikings don't have horns, that's racist!"

"not all patriots were white, that's insensitive!"

If Native Americans (or whatever term you want to call them) find the logo offensive, guess what? It's offensive.

If people of Viking (or Scandinavian descent) found the logo of the Vikings offensive or insensitive, then guess what? They can do something about it.

If Irish people felt that the Celtics logo or Notre Dame's logo was the same, they can do something about it.

Oddly enough, you're not going to find many people of Irish or Scandinavian descent that find those logos or team names offensive. And oddly enough the people who don't find Indians or Redskins offensive tend to be white people, of which neither logo or name is about or in reference to.

Chris Craig likes this.
  4. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    With all of the crap that we have to deal with in this world, I'm constantly astonished at the continued debates over sports logos. It's a freakin' logo, for crying out loud. This one's certainly stereotypical, even if the intent was never to disparage a group of people. Include the local tribes in designing a new logo and change the damned thing.

5. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Yes, minnesota probably didn't pick the best image for their team when they picked the Vikings as a name. Yes,those logos are caricatures. But, that or pirates, or even buccaneers is quite different. Here is the difference. Scandinavian people haven't been trying for decades to get the Vikings to change there names, neither I am sure do pirates and bucanneers have issue with their personas being used. Native Americans have been fighting for years to get the name And logo changed because they as a people feel it is racist and demeaning, therefore it is racist and demeaning. When the Scandinavians start an outcry we can talk about minnesota.

6. Nate

Don't try to act like the Asian people that walked to present day America were saints. They were constantly killing each other over land and resources. Sucks for them, that a bunch of people better at killing people for land, came and killed them for land. That's what's been going on for all of eternity.

7. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

But the heart of that issue is that white people don't find drawings of white people, or caricatures of white people, to be offensive. There's a reason why comedians have open season on white jokes. We don't give a shit. We aren't sensitive about insults about our race. We just kinda laugh and nod our head and move on. As he pointed out, the Celtics logo is a caricature of an Irish person. Does anyone give a shit? Fuck no.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Nate

So you think it's dehumanizing, to not be white? I think we found the real racist here.

9. Natebishop3

There were millions of natives in North America. Hundreds, if not thousands, of nations of people. Some of the descendants of those people find sports teams with those names and logos offensive, some do not. So if some find it offensive, is that enough to change them? Using what you said, if one or 10 or 20, or 100, or 1000 Scandinavians find the Vikings logo offensive, should they have to change it?

These days, it seems like it's mostly white people are out trying to enforce political correctness FOR other people. Here you are, a white guy, standing up for the native tribes of North America.

10. julius

singer songwriter
    You're telling me that the Vikings logo was done for comedic effect, and to emphasize a negative stereotype? And that it wasn't chosen by the owners, of which some if not all, had Scandinavian heritage? All this time it was a ruse to get people to think negatively about the Vikings?

Or that the fighting Irish, which is reference to people who are strong willed and determined, NOT that they get in fights a lot. @Jesus Christ Son of God man...

You guys are you're just making this even worse.

Was the guy who designed the Indians logo in the 40's (different from their earlier logos, which are similar to the Redskins and Blackhawks) a Native American? And the owners of the Indians at the time were themselves of Native American decent and chose the design because they felt it was honorable to have that as their design?

The original design of Chief Wahoo was obvious inspired by cartoons of the era, which still glorified whites as the saviors and indians as the savages.

11. julius

singer songwriter
    what in the hell?

12. Natebishop3

If you're right, why would they want to depict their team as a joke?

13. julius

singer songwriter

@SlyPokerDog did I not call it??

14. julius

singer songwriter
    because thats how Natives were represented by white people in the time it was written.

Same reason why you don't hear a lot about Speedy Gonzolas and Slow Poke Rodriguez. Times change.

15. Nate

Again, the hypocrisy is unreal. The caricature of a little Irishman is comedic. Do you think that's what all Irish people look like? Do you think all Irish people are violent, and have a fighting spirit? Those are stereotypes.
    And I just spelled out the stereotype about Vikings/white people/Scandinavians. It's like talking to wall.

16. Nate

That's exactly what you wrote buddy.

17. julius

singer songwriter
    who said anything about violent?

Again, if people of Irish descent and Scandinavian descent find it offensive, they can do something about it. Until that point, you're just whining because you don't find something offensive, that many native americans do.

If many Irish people found it offensive (or Scans) I wouldn't care if they changed the names/logo. Thats the difference here. You seem hell bent on keeping something the same that you don't find offensive, whereas I would be fine with it.

Although I know that will just bring out a bunch of red herrings here..so I'll say this.

Go Cubs.

18. Natebishop3

Do you know what pisses me off about debating an issue with a liberal? The moral high ground shit. I'm trying to talk about logic, and you're posting shit like this:

I'm talking about my opinions, and your retort is essentially "IT'S BAD BECAUSE IT'S BAD"

We get it. White people are bad. White people are the devil. White people are all that's wrong with this country.

19. julius

singer songwriter
    No, you're trying to change my point to that because you think it's how you argue.

It had nothing to do with being white = human, it has to do with how the majority of the country at the time was white, and "white" has been historically what those in power/control considered the template, and any difference between whites and non whites, is exaggerated for emphasis, especially in these kinds of things.

You know that, I know that. In fact, you KNOW that's not what I said or meant, and it's disingenuous for you to act otherwise. Unless you dont know the history behind caricatures and propaganda, and what role of dehumanizing has to do with it, and what part the majority race at the time has in it...

BonesJones likes this.
  20. julius

singer songwriter
    You know what annoys me about debating an issue with a "conservative"? Bat shit logic like the following

Never said any of that, never implied it and don't feel that to be the case. But feel free to think that I said it, implied it and feel it, if it makes you feel as though you are the winner in this debate.