OT Clips worried DJ could bolt

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, May 18, 2015.

1. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

If we got Jordan, extended Dame and re-signed LA those three would make 2/3 of our 16-17 cap (If it indeed goes to 90+mil).

2. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Also, if Jordan doesn't want to be third fiddle on the clippers, why do people think he wants to be third fiddle on Portland?

Even if it's four years 75+ million I wouldnt do it. he's not a needle mover to invest that much into imo. A guy that shoots 38ish % from ft and mostly just dunks on offense isn't a guy that I'm wanting to pay that muchfor. I'd Much rather keep the core (hopefully Mathews if he can Still play) together.

3. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Supposedly there is a real rift between him and Chris Paul. I agree he likely stays but heck its worth Neil making a quick phone call July 1st.

4. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Okay my other unlikely hypothetical I'd love to do is again we verbally agree to max deals with DeAndre and LaMarcus early July.

Then somehow talk the Clippers into a sign and trade where they agree to deals with AAA and Freeland. We also include Kaman(nonguaranteed) and Frazier(nonguaranteed).

Blazers then stay over the cap and resign both Wes and Rolo. We still have the MLE (as do the Clippers). There is a real benefit to both teams doing this as a sign and trade. Blazers lineup is:

DeAndre Rolo
    LaMarcus Meyers
    Batum Crabbe
    Wes CJ
    Dame Blake

Thats having your cake and eating it too.

BonesJones likes this.
  5. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Thats only the cap to sign other teams free agents. The tax would be significantly higher so the Blazers would still have room for two starters and a bench player making $10+ million each.

6. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

doesn't Kamans contract become guaranteed after June 30th? Afflalo will likely opt out and Freeland is a FA.

7. BonesJones

So basically wed have to give up Batum/Kaman resign everyone then sign a starting SF for the MLE which the only possible guy worth doing that for would be Paul Pierce

8. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    http://www.sportstwo.com/threads/fezs-idea.151660/#post-2206856

I also proposed a Whiteside/Babbitt deal when Hasaan was stinking up the joint.

Bigs take time, and patience is usually my problem (see: CJ), but when bigs are quick leapers with reaches that are at least 9'4" you have to wait them out. This is why I'm intrigued with Christian Wood and Myles Turner.

DJ has a Rudy Gobert reach btw.

9. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    We were one of the best rebounding teams in the league for 2 years in a row. Would that mean we would be even better with Jordan?

Also, would we drop to one of the worst FT shooting teams as well? I seem to remember that our free throws were contagious. If one starts missing, it seems even the good FT shooters start missing as well.

10. MarAzul

MarAzul LongShip

Life is good!
    Humm, it looks like the folks posting in this thread see something I didn't see in the series just concluded. I sort of thought Jordan was one of the reasons the Clips lost.
    He was definitely the reason the Blazers beat the clips one game. Hack a Jordan worked great that game, then in the end when he stood there with the rebound instead of putting it back in the hoop sealed the deal. I couldn't quite read Chris Paul's lips but I thought he might be saying, " put it back in the hoop yeah big ox!" Poor Paul, damn worked up a hemorrhoid.

11. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    If the game is close you sub out DJ and insert Meyers - the 91 FT% shooter.

He could improve, it has been done before - in a span of three seasons Shaq went from 49% to 59% from the line.

But, like Shaq, he'll always be just this side (at best) of atrocious.

12. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

As long as he hits them when it counts! Shaq did.

13. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

I think to capture the imagination of any potential max player you have show to them you have the money whether it's the intent to sign them outright or in a sign and trade.

The Blazers to capture the imagination you would have to renounce the rights of Lopez and Matthews. Which x's out your Larry Bird rights. And If I'm mistaken makes it impossible for any amount while going over the cap. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If that is indeed the case, I think your idea wouldn't work. But I like him. And I agree with those that say he is better defensively than Rolo. He is more atheltic and quicker espeically laterally and vertically. Which tends to show itself in the stats.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  14. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

That was so fucking funny. As I watched Chris Paul scream "Shoot it!" over and over, I just heard Daffy Duck:

OneLifeToLive likes this.
  15. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

I'm not certain but I've heard Kamans is guaranteed at a later date in July after the first wave of free agency. Yes Freeland and Afflalo would have to agree to deals with the Clippers.

16. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

That's incorrect. A team can verbally agree to a max deal with a free agent first; teams don't renounce players until the moment the final contract is being signed. But once a verbal agreement is made the team would have a very short window of a few days to agree to a sign and trade with the old team. If they don't agree to a sign and trade they renounce their free agents. If they do agree to a sign and trade they keep the free agents bird rights.

Players don't worry about these details the agent and teams take care of it and just tells the player "team x is offering you $zzz"

The big risk to the Blazers would also be if Wes and or Rolo agree to deals with other teams before the Blazers can finalize a sign and trade.

BonesJones likes this.
  17. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive Well-Known Member

I thought the renouncing of rights had to be done before the start of free agency?

18. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

No, only the instant actual cap space is used. Often teams don't know for the first week of free agency if they will use cap room or stay above the cap.

OneLifeToLive likes this.
  19. BonesJones

Not gonna be able to S&T those guys. It just depends if Afflalo opts in

20. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Well it's possible but AAA and Freeland would have to agree to the multi player sign and trade and contract amounts with the Clippers. Unlikely but possible.