OT Clips worried DJ could bolt

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Fez Hammersticks, May 18, 2015.

1. Blazer Freak

Blazer Freak Superstar in the Making

Management
    Exactly. This is the exact reason Olshey has molded the roster in this way. We have so much flexibility, no matter what happens between now and FA, we have the cap flexibility and the resources from Paul Allen to get anything done.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  2. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    That certainly is the best case that can be made for Jordan. And he certainly is a gifted rebounder, possibly the best in the NBA and maybe since Rodman, or at least Young Dwight.
    Nobody is denying that.
    Here's the thing though: to quote from the very article you linked to:

That's him AT HIS ABSOLUTE PEAK. Would you have given Dennis Rodman a max contract? Dennis Rodman was actually a far superior defender (more so before he started obsessing about rebounds) and part of a 70-win team. But the game has changed. Jordan was playing next to perhaps the best PG in the last decade, who orchestrates his entire team's behavior while on the court and can throw lobs like nobody else. Also with a coach who has made it his mission to "rescue" Jordan. To get Jordan we would have to absolutely gut our team. Is it worth it? I would do it for Marc Gasol, absolutely, because he's a much better all-around player whom you can KEEP ON THE COURT AT ALL TIMES. But Jordan is too much of a risk and way too expensive for what he is.

Remember: Doc even managed to make Austin Rivers look good. But I think we all know THAT'S an illusion.

3. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    DeAndre is a nice example of a bigger name then player. He is a good defender not great, he has his limitations but what he does well he does so well that it can make you forget his limitations. He is an apsolute monster on the boards.
    Pre injury id take Lopez over Jordan. Lopez isnt better one on one defender, nor is he a better rebounder but Lopez is better at protecting the rim, boxing out which is why we are such a good rebounding team, and Lopez isnt a non factor save for dunking and putbacks on the offensive side.
    Unfortunately the Lopez we saw come back after his injury wasnt near the same player as before he went down. It shouldn't be a injury that changes how a player plays and how effective he is for the rest of his career but I wont come out and say im 100% sure he will come back as the same player he was Pre injury.
    Im not against getting Jordan but I dont think he would be as effective with Portland as he is with the Clippers. I also think we can get Lopez and Wes for the price of Jordan and thats a risk but its a risk that could pay off big time.
    With all that said if LMA leaves id sign Jordan and look to deal him next season or the season after because teams will talk themselves into him and I think we could get great compensation back.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  4. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    What a depressing prospect! I'd like to believe that we have players as players, not simply as investments. We'd be the equivalent of people who buy houses to flip them.

5. Blazer Freak

Management
    Now, I've never said we should go after DeAndre if it means renouncing Wes, RoLo, etc to clear the capspace to do it. We are in agreement over Gasol, but that isn't happening. I understand that he is in a great spot in LAC, but I don't see much of a difference honestly if he was on our team. Blake is throwing half the alley-oops to him anyways, and all you honestly need to do is throw it in his general vicinity.

As for your Dennis Rodman point...it's a completely different era and NBA. If Rodman was as effective and in the NBA right now....he honestly would be getting a max contract. The league is different, and the money is going to be free-flowing with the salary cap exploding. I've said multiple times now that I don't think DeAndre is worth a max contract, but that is what freakishly athletic, great rebounding, good defending 7-footers make in today's NBA.

Also, Doc has not made Austin Rivers look good...he has just been such a bad GM that he has had NO CHOICE but to play him since they are only 7 players deep and CP3 was hurt. Anybody who is in the NBA (especially those who at one point were a top-ranked recruit) can produce given the ball and starter minutes.

6. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Got.

To make.

Your free throws.

dviss1, Strenuus and Orion Bailey like this.
  7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

But that is part of the equation. When I asked if you were willing to give Jordan the max because the Clippers will, it was with the understanding that it would effect other players that we could keep or bring in. I understand and agree with you about the crazy contracts that will be given out in the next couple of years and it will make the ones we offer this summer seem tame, but it still comes down to whether or not Jordan is worth 20 million a year. He might be.

But will he want an opt out clause as well so he can get more next year?

8. Blazer Freak

Management
    But what people seem to be missing is that the flexibilty that Olshey has created given the roster composition means that we can offer a S&T that would free up the space to bring him in without having to renounce everyone. If DeAndre leaves LAC, it's going to be via S&T, because the Clippers cannot afford to lose him for absolutely nothing, they have no flexibility as it is. As I've stated multiple times before on this board, I've heard from someone who has a well-placed connection within the Blazers that PDX was reallyyyyyyy pushing for a Batum/DeAndre trade towards the beginning of the season. If we have a chance to get him, I think it's going to be centered around a S&T involving those two.

It is definitely a possibility he would want a contract with an opt-out clause, and if thats the case you give it to him. I think the team he has around him here is much better than the team in LAC if we only have to give up Batum/filler for him.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  9. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    He made first team all-defense. SMH.

I can't believe this guy Rivers. Paying off somebody to get Jordan credentials about defense. This must be so Rivers can get something for Jordan when he dumps him.

10. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    No one is denying that this is the 89th Next Rodman since Rodman.

Now you're talking. Hollywood is media hype illusion. Put Lakers/Clippers on other teams and they are good, but not great as they seemed in LaLaLand.

11. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Clearly you don't think much of Batum and yet you think he's enough to land your boy. So, what, you realize Batum is mediocre but the Clippers are blind to his flaws?

But let's see: in Clipperland Jordan has Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and JJ Redick, and a team that knocked off San Antonio. Here he would have Damian (no Chris Paul), Aldridge (at least Griffin's equal - except in the respect of passing, which, y'know, might be important to the recipient of the passes) and Wesley, who is injured, and the team that managed to take one game from Memphis, MINUS a guy who actually played pretty well in the playoffs (and minus RoLo, presumably). I don't get it.