Clyde Drexler

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Tince, Apr 12, 2012.

1. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I can say it.

Working on his jumper would've been nice. Working on his defense would've been nice.

The drive to be the best is what separated Bird, Magic, Jordan and others from the Dominique Wilkins (and Clyde Drexlers) of the world. That drive meant they worked tirelessly on their games, and improved with more practice. They didn't show up 5 minutes before the shoot-around and play the game.

They spent all summer working on new facets of their games, or improving weaknesses.

2. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Do you really believe that?

Let me put it to you this way: I'm a pretty decent artist; I can pick up a pen or pencil or brush after months or sometimes even a year not doing anything and I can draw or paint something that isn't half bad, that somebody might look at and say, "oh that's pretty good" ... but when I was hardcore about it, doing it every day for hours on end in my teens and early twenties I could produce stuff that was vastly superior, more nuanced, more expressive and frankly good enough to sell (which I did).

In any activity that requires fine motor control and great hand-eye-coordination, repetition matters. To say that Clyde was so gifted that extra practice couldn't have made him any better seems awfully hard for me to buy.

3. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I don't claim to know how hard Drexler worked... just like I don't know what his nutrition was like and I don't know if he grew up in a home with two loving parents.

While it's true that all of these things would impact him as a person and as a player, I don't know that it's helpful to take potshots at Drexler based on what he might have been if he had worked harder.

The fact is that Drexler was an incredible player who brought much success to the Portland franchise. He wasn't perfect, of course, but anything above and beyond what actually happened seems too speculative to have much value.

Ed O.

crandc and STOMP like this.
  4. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    Oh please! Kobe isn't half the player LeBron is!

5. julius

singer songwriter
    yeah, now. But in his prime, I'd take Kobe every day of the week.

6. ppilot

ppilot Member

You could say that about any hypothetical situation. Anyway, Clyde's laziness and poor work ethic was pretty well known and acknowledged by most people that were around the team at that time. This doesn't take away anything from Drexler's accomplishments.

7. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

but he wasn't the best player who ever lived, so I need a reason to demonize him. I resent the players for making so much money and enjoy getting my anger on (who doesn't), so pretty much any player who falls short of goat will feel my wrath for some possible personal flaw. Though I've no real idea how hard he, or Kobe, or any pro player works on their game, I've swallowed enough rumors hook line and sinker to be very disappointed with the guy on top of most of the Blazers all time stats. Thank goodness we have the O to set the record straight with their shining white light of truth about everything Blazers and god bless David Stern!

STOMP

8. julius

singer songwriter
    when teammates say it, and not just one teammate, it's pretty clear it's not just the Oregonian smearing him.