Cocky Dallas still in Denial

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Rudeezy, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Big 'D' in Dallas stands for 'denial'
    Contra Costa Times
    Now that the Warriors own a 1-0 playoff edge over the Dallas Mavericks, I keep thinking about what took place after these teams met March 12 during the regular season.
    The Warriors had just routed the Mavs 117-100 at Oracle Arena, ending their 17-game winning streak.

They had defeated Dallas for the fourth straight time and fifth time in six games.

Yet when a Bay Area reporter asked Dallas guard Jason Terry if he saw any similarities between the two teams and two franchises, Terry started laughing. So did Mavs forward Josh Howard, who overheard the question.

Terry eventually stopped giggling long enough to give a one-word answer: "No."

At the time, the question must have sounded ludicrous to Terry and Howard. The Mavericks were a league-best 52-10 and eyeing a second successive trip to the NBA finals. The Warriors were 30-36, owners of a 12-year playoff drought.

But Terry's and Howard's reactions that night point to one of the Warriors' biggest psychological edges in this series.

You get the sense that the Mavs are still in denial to a degree when it comes to the Warriors, despite Sunday night's 97-85 loss.

It seems that the Mavs still consider the Warriors' dominance to be one big string of smoke-and-mirrors flukes that will end soon.

They still aren't convinced the Warriors are as dangerous as their record against them indicates.

</div>

http://www.contracostatimes.com/warriors/ci_5738546

Bring 'em on tomorrow night....

2. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

If this occurance happened after Sunday's game, I would question what kind of mentality this team actually had. Considering that it took place mid-way through March, I won't take too much into it. Right now the Mavericks understand that they must show why they are the better franchise and that they are nowhere near an 8th seed, like they think they are. This is a big test for Dirk Nowitzki and we'll see what exactly he is made of (though ultimately it will probably be the other players who would beat the Warriors if that happened -- maybe I'm not a huge Dirk fan, especially matched up with this Warriors' squad and Nelson). The Mavericks are backing up to the ropes, it's their turn to make their move, or they may be hitting the mat sooner than anticipated.

3. jbbhoops4life

jbbhoops4life JBB future coach

<div class="quote_poster">Clif25 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">If this occurance happened after Sunday's game, I would question what kind of mentality this team actually had. Considering that it took place mid-way through March, I won't take too much into it.</div>

um, who said it took place in mid-march. this WAS after sunday's game.

4. bbwSwish

bbwSwish Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.

<div class="quote_poster">hoops4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">um, who said it took place in mid-march. this WAS after sunday's game.</div>

"Now that the Warriors own a 1-0 playoff edge over the Dallas Mavericks, I keep thinking about what took place after these teams met March 12 during the regular season. The Warriors had just routed the Mavs 117-100 at Oracle Arena, ending their 17-game winning streak."

You're wrong.

5. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">hoops4life Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">um, who said it took place in mid-march. this WAS after sunday's game.</div>This occurred after their second meeting of the season. Still, it shows the lack of respect even the Mavs have for the warriors.

6. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

this article is garbage and the writer is really trying hard to start something that isnt there. Dallas respects GS now. To bring up a situation from the regular season is stupid now. because if you were to ask the question today the answer would be different.

7. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">michiganave17 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">this article is garbage and the writer is really trying hard to start something that isnt there. Dallas respects GS now. To bring up a situation from the regular season is stupid now. because if you were to ask the question today the answer would be different.</div>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Even after their loss Sunday night, the Mavericks had trouble giving the Warriors full credit where it was due.

"We let it get away from us," the Mavs' Devean George told reporters. "They do things a little different, but we'll figure it out.

"It looked like we had four days off. We took it too lightly. We didn't have much energy."

Took it too lightly? Didn't have much energy? There's that denial again.

Do you think the Mavs would have taken the San Antonio Spurs or Phoenix Suns too lightly?

Nowitzki resorted to a ready-made excuse.

"Obviously the pressure is on us all the way," Nowitzki said. "Nobody expects them to win."

Against the Warriors, the Mavs should expect to get a tough battle every time they play.</div> I have still yet to see any credit given to the Warriors. Its probably not a good idea for the Mavs to admit they are worried about the warriors...but you gotta believe they are.

8. MJordan

MJordan JBB JustBBall Member

Sure, the Mavericks have a large head: They are phenomenal team with a great record.

However, I seriously doubt that the Mavericks would just openly disrespect the lower seeded Warriors like that.

9. HiRez

HiRez Overlord

The less respect they get, the better they will do, I love it!

10. jason bourne

jason bourne JBB JustBBall Member

Law enforcement
    It still doesn't sound like the Mavs respect the Warriors. They wouldn't be making those comments still if they did and instead be getting ready for the next game.

If the Warriors win the next game, then that would really put a scare in the Mavericks. The Warriors don't have anything to lose, but Dallas has to make it to the Finals at least to make their season count.

11. Rudeezy

Believe me, if the Warriors win game 2 this series is all but over. No way Dallas wins 4 out of 5. If the Mavs didn't respect the warriors before game 1...they definately do now.

12. Detroit Madness

Detroit Madness JBB JustBBall Member

I'm in Denial.

13. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Detroit Madness Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I'm in Denial.</div>Admitting it is the first step in the process.