OT Commish Silver 'on the fence' about intentional fouling

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Let's go the other way and move the FT line out more 3 feet!

The plain truth is that about 80% of high school students can shoot FTs better than DJ - and that matters, and it should.

2. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

boohoo i cant hit a free throw so the rules should be changed! how about you are paid to be good, learn to make a free throw

3. rasheedfan2005

i havent touched a basketball in 3 years and i guarantee i could shoot deandre jordan percentage. especially if you were paying me millions wheter or not they went in, that's zero pressure.

4. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

That is not what I'm talking about. Say your down 6 with 3 minutes left and you go to hack-a-Jordan every time? Thats not trying to win by team defense. So they go to hack-a-Jordan or whomever to prove that one person can hit his free throws and keep the lead for his team.

5. BigGameDamian

I would also be ok with letting a coach substitute his free throw shooter after he gets fouled two times in a row and goes to the line. That way this wouldn't happen.

6. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The whole purpose of a rule and a penalty is to discourage an action. If the penalty is insufficient to discourage the specified action, then the penalty needs to be altered.

It's not changing the rules to benefit the shooter; it's changing the rules because the penalty is not enough of a deterrant to the fouler

7. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

This is an easy problem to fix. Change the rules so that the player shooting the free throw has a 3 second shooting clock starting when he gets the ball. No requirement that anyone line up in any particular fashion. Player receives the ball from ref as soon as he's in position. If he's not in position in a certain amount of time, free throws are cancelled and ball goes to other team.

barfo

8. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Poor free throw shooting is poor basketball fundamentals.

I am, and will always be against making the game easier for players who have poor basketball fundamentals.
    I am, and will always be for rewarding players who have solid basketball fundamentals.

Work on your craft, don't just rely on dunking, or for the refs/nba exe's to bail you out.
    You get paid to play basketball. Play the game, work on your fundamentals.

rasheedfan2005 likes this.
  9. BigGameDamian

Could actually be said for both sides.

10. WarriorFan

WarriorFan Active Member

I'd much prefer they go the other way on this. When you are in the bonus, a non shooting foul is 1 and 1. Fouls at the end of college games are exciting as hell. Plus, if the argument is that all this fouling rarely affects the outcome, switching to 1 and 1 can definitely change that. Once you get to 10 fouls, then they can shoot 2. Maybe if you get to 15 fouls the coach can choose someone else to shoot, like on a technical foul.

BBert likes this.
  11. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    I completely disagree. That is a legitimate defensive strategy. The object of defense is to disrupt the other team's flow, and to keep the other team from scoring, is it not? Let me answer that. Yes, it is.

12. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    I'm glad you aren't in charge.

13. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    I agree.

The game is basketball. The object of the game is to put the basketball through the basketball hoop.

If a player cannot put the basketball through the basketball hoop, said player is the detriment to the game, not the strategy of exposing said player's inability to do so.

I find the whole idea of not permitting teams to defend their hoop by exposing their opponent's inability to score to be mind numbingly misguided.

If a player can't go left, you force them to go left. If a player can't shoot, you force them to shoot, or to shoot from a location from which they are less efficient. It happens all game long.

It's called "defense".

14. BigGameDamian

I would love to see a Houston vs. Clippers series. At the end of the game we get to see the Clippers do a Hack-A-Howard and the Rockets do a Hack-A-Jordan.

magnifier661 likes this.
  15. BBert

Selfless Public Servant
    That would be epic (fail) and must see TV.

16. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

I don't even know if you know what you're talking about. *facepalm*

17. rasheedfan2005

I think white guys should start game with 1 point so they feel like they contributed.

18. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

You should be able to intentionally foul - but only if the player has the ball.
    Where's the skill in walking up to some player just standing there and 'fouling him'.
    If a team has put themselves in a poor position to win the game, then it shouldn't be that easy to bail themselves out.
    If they don't want the best free throw shooter on the other team to have theball - then they're going to have to play some defense.

Make the intentional foul receiver have to have the ball, and limit it to the last 2 mins - otherwise you'll get smart-ass coaches ruining the whole of the 4th quarter - in time.

19. RipCityBlazer

RipCityBlazer Member

The fact that has to even be discussed is mind boggling to me. If you have the talent to play in the NBA you should be able to shoot free throws. I actually enjoy seeing guys miss free throws and I love seeing DeAndre Jordan get pissed off when he gets intentionally fouled over and over again. How can you fix it? Work on your damn free throws dude.

magnifier661 likes this.
  20. RipCityBlazer

RipCityBlazer Member

Exactly. I don't believe this guy works on his free throws as much as he should. If he was putting in the work and time he would be putting up a higher percentage. Its a damn free throw. Plus, didn't the Blazers win a game in LA by doing this strategy? I love it.