OT Commish Silver 'on the fence' about intentional fouling

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BigGameDamian, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Yep. Batum saved our ass that night. lol.

2. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

No it can't. Fouling someone who can't make free throws is a defensive strat.
    Just like teams have their pick and roll defensive strats.
    There is no difference.
    Prove you can make free throws and you won't get fouled intentionally. Until that happens, suck it up... and get a stop on the defensive end yourself.

3. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Clippers getting blown out. That's got to be bad television. The NBA needs to implement a mercy rule. If a team gets a 20 point lead they should have to pull a player until the lead goes under 10.

RipCityBlazer likes this.
  4. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Well you didn't see teams doing this back in the 80's. I'm sure there where bad free throw shooters then too. It's a poor defeut is what nsive strategy and an easy way out.

5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

To me fouling someone intentionally who doesn't have the ball to stop play at the end of the game although effective sucks the joy out of the end game. For those who don't want change. the 3 pt shot must have bothered you as well. It tainted scoring titles. The use of instant replay as well. The flop fine? The games will always evolve and morph over the decades. The rule I'm most nostagic about is hand checking..it was an important defensive technique that was abandoned. Some folks would like to see the 3 sec rule thrown out Euro style so guys can hang in the paint longer. The handchecking rule also could be viewed as some are viewing the intentional foul. If you don't have the handles to out play your defender then rather than get rid of hand checking you should work on your game?

6. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    The hand checking rule should be allowed back in. I think they give jump shooters way too much advantage in this game.

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I feel the same way about the intentional walk in baseball. If you can't strike out a great batter, you walk him....always thought that sucked

8. DaLincolnJones

DaLincolnJones Well-Known Member

I doubt much will be resolved. They dont enforce so many of the rules that they claim to be focusing on. Deal with flopping, all star favoritism, euro stepping, palming etc and get back to fucking with other stupid stuff.

9. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

no one cared when it happened to shaq or dwight. clippers pressuring because that's what they do, cry like a bunch of pansy ass bitches to refs. this shit probably started with doc rivers. that whole team can get fucked, im laughing so hard at spurs beating them round 1.

10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

It started with Shaq...just ask Rasheed Wallace. This is an old complaint since Shaq spent an hour at the stripe every 4th qtr..I complained about it then as well as now

BigGameDamian likes this.
  11. BigGameDamian

Maybe if Robin Lopez had a shitty free throw percentage people in here would feel differently about it.

12. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

but he doesnt, because he's good. maybe people who cant hit free throws should get the fuck out of professional sports when you have middle school kids hitting 10/10 in competitions across teh country constantly

13. BigGameDamian

That would really make big men in the NBA hard to find.

14. magnifier661

magnifier661 B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

Cracking fools in the skull
    How about the fucking commish find a way to let players play?!?!

15. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Guy... Use Wiki... If you don't know the history of the game...
    I don't blame you for not watching the documentary on Wilt's 100 point game... I don't watch 30 for 30 or wtf ever it was on either.
    But come on... Wiki is your friend....
    I'm trying not to be mean here like most people are to you but.. It's hard.
    Hack-a-Shaq did not start with Shaq. That's just what has been publicized by the media today.
    Fouling a poor free throw shooter is a strat that was employed before the famous 2001 playoffs where the term Hack-a-Shaq was created.

Wilt Chamberlain was such a great player and dominant force that he would be certain to be on the floor in late-game situations if the score was close. However, he was such a poor free throw shooter (51%) that if the opposition needed to employ intentional fouling late in the game, Chamberlain would always be that team's target. Just as the opposition was eager to send Chamberlain to the free throw line because of his ineptitude there, Chamberlain himself was reluctant to go for that same reason. This led to the spectacle of virtually an entire other game being held away from the ball and almost completely outside of the basketball game being played, as Chamberlain essentially played a de facto game of tag with defenders, attempting to run from and dodge them as they chased him trying to foul him.

The NBA decided to address this undesirable situation by instituting a new rule regarding off-the-ball fouls—that is, committing a personal foul against an offensive player who neither has the ball nor is making an effort to obtain it. The new rule stated that if the defensive team commits an off-the-ball foul within the last two minutes of the game, the offensive team would be allowed to keep possession of the ball after the awarding of either one or two free throws. Since the entire reason for employing intentional fouling as a strategy was to quickly terminate the offensive team's possession, this new rule, when in effect, forced the team using intentional fouling to foul only the offensive player who had the ball. This brought an end to the need for Chamberlain (or any other poor free throw shooter) to play hide and seek with opposing defenders in intentional fouling situations. The current version of the rule carries an even more punitive penalty for a violation--not only does the victimized team maintain possession but it is permitted to select any player they want to shoot the awarded free throw, obviously choosing the most proficient free throw shooter on their squad.

The reason they have that rule is that fouling someone off-the-ball looks foolish . . . Some of the funniest things I ever saw were players that used to chase [Wilt Chamberlain] like it was hide-and-seek. Wilt would run away from people, and the league changed the rule based on how silly that looked.

Pat Riley[9]

BBert likes this.
  16. BigGameDamian

Hack-A-Jordan time.

17. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

I think a good solution would be intentionally fouling a player WITHOUT the ball is ALWAYS two shots and the ball. Sure, you can foul a terrible free throw shooter, just make sure he has the ball. That's fair.