Comparing the Western Conference finals team to the current group

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Charcoal Filtered, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

He’s not a pg

2. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

He sure plays the position?
    I mean what are the parameters of being a PG?
    I think it’s plays point guard. That is what makes you a point guard right?

SharpesTriumph and blazerkor like this.
  3. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

The fact is when he is playing the point, he is more effective because when he brings the ball up the floor and is charged with piloting the offense, he can take that time he loves to take pounding the rock before making a decision. He is also better suited to guard smaller guards even though he's still catastrophically terrible at it. If CJ ever plays for another team he will probably play at the 1 but have a point forward as the facilitator but the 1 is where CJ is a natural fit... yes he is a scoring point guard but he's still a point guard.

Buffalo Custard likes this.
  4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

there's that old saying: you are what you can defend....which means CJ is an announcer

5. Buffalo Custard

Buffalo Custard Well-Known Member

Yes, CJ is a PG - in the same sense that Damon was a PG. Damon's ball stopping, pound all the air out of the ball nonsense drove me crazy!

TBpup and blazerkor like this.
  6. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Yes.

Its crazy some fans are so delusional they think a player who plays a position isn't a player who plays that position?

Same people who say a professional is more than getting paid to do something.

They have some alternative definition of reality.

kjironman1 likes this.
  7. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

there's a difference, IMO, between playing a position and have the traditional skills of that position

CJ does not have the reactions, vision, or mindset of a traditional PG; and he pounds the ball way too much to consistently run an offense like a PG. But by default, he's a PG when there is nobody else on the floor who remotely resembles a PG, and when his defensive assignment is the opposing PG

real PG skills have been a scarcity on the Blazer roster since 2015. I don't think it's an accident, rather it's by design. If Portland had a backup PG on the level of a Rondo or a George Hill, Stotts would use him all the time and that would significantly reduce CJ's opportunity for lots of minutes

Buffalo Custard, tester551 and TBpup like this.
  8. kjironman1

Cj plays Shooting Guard. Damian Lillard is out Point Guard.

9. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Yes but Olshey was quick to point out that Dame and CJ played 95% of the posessions at PG last year. Take out garbage time, that that is just about all of them.

10. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I think the traditional view of what makes a good PG is changing around the league. The Lakers just let Rondo, a traditional PG in my view, walk and traded for Dennis Shroeder, a more offensively oriented guard. Most of the top PGs are big scorers these days. With CJ, when he plays PG in previous seasons it's usually been in a role with a second unit where he is by far the best scoring option out there. His "problem" is that with Dame out, he takes it on himself to get his own shot by dribbling to try to break his man down until he can get his shot off. I agree that that often causes the offense to stagnate and too often to have to settle for a poor shot. My hope, and at this point that's all it is, is that now that he's going to have more scorers available on the second unit he won't hold onto the ball so much. If he does, Stotts should address the matter. I guess all of that is to say that I don't think there's a skill problem with CJ at the point, but his mindset has to be changed when he's in that role.

SharpesTriumph likes this.
  11. kjironman1

I’m thinking 95% might be more of a way to make a point instead of saying “a lot of the time”. We all know 1M played more than 5 % of the season at PG. 5% would be just under 200 minutes.
    Figuring 4 complete games in a full season. Of course they didn’t play a complete season. So hard to come up with a number exactly?

12. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I think both Dame and CJ can at times stop the motion offense where guys are moving and the ball moves, as iso ball and pnr can really slow things with guys standing in the corner.
    If that doesn't change it will frustrate both DJJ & RoCo.

13. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I feel like Portland should experiment with staggering not only CJ with Dame, but Nurkic. Let Nurkic be the main facilitator with the bench unit and pair him with CJ, Trent, DJJ, and Zach or Melo. Would help offset having a combo guard running point and his playmaking would mesh well with DJJ.

TBpup, UKRAINEFAN and JDC like this.
  14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Deepest roster I can remember in the modern era...this roster should be better than the Kanter with injured Nurk version....having both Kanter and Nurk will make the best 1-2 center punch...Rodney has to show he's still an impact player but Trent is better now...Dame is better now...I think we're perfectly positioned to contend for a ring right now

e_blazer likes this.
  15. JDC

JDC Well-Known Member

I also like pairing Kanter with Lillard more often.

Sure, Kanter post ups vs back-up centers is a solid source of offense, but I like him a lot more as roller / offensive rebounder with a guard that can put pressure on the rim.

CJ / Trent / Hood / DJJ / Nurkic would a pretty effective unit for instance. Complementary on offense and fairly switchy defensively. One thing I've been impressed with about Jones after watching more of his film the last few days is how fluid he is laterally. Really able to sink his hips and slide with smaller players. Handles screens pretty well too.

BonesJones and UKRAINEFAN like this.
  16. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Well if ever thing fall in place with everyone healthy we will be battling the Lakers and clippers for that too spot.

17. SharpesTriumph

I somewhat agree with this.

Also, Rondo and Hill are making 10 million per year, it doesn't make sense to allocate those resources to a "3rd“ string PG when we've had such glaring problems with starting forwards the last half decade.

The 2016 contracts were so damming too...

18. SharpesTriumph

I think this is right. You have a bunch of vocal Blazers fans screaming for a 1980/1990s style PG because they don't understand how the guard position has changed.

19. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I think it makes sense to start both Hood and RoCo and RoCo probably deserves more minutes so it might make sense to stagger him instead of Hood with that bench unit. Would be a little sketchier and then Hood could finish halves with Dame as the secondary scorer if Nurk/CJ are off the floor depending on how it gets sorted out.

20. kjironman1

I kind of think Hood will need to show he is 100% before going to far that way but i don't disagree with the premise. Just wonder about his health?