Computer-assisted Refereeing

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by blue9, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

False.

2. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

By that insane logic, I take it you've never criticized a politician. You've never criticized a coach, GM or professional athlete. You've never criticized a reporter. You've never criticized NBA officials, because that's quite different that referring high-schoolers. Or, and this one concerns you dviss1, you've never criticized anyone who's had sex with something you don't inflate. I know what you're thinking, and no your mom dressed in your old ref uniform doesn't count.

I can't believe what a swinging dick you think you are because you refereed a bunch of high-schoolers... Is that like the highlight of your life or something?

handiman likes this.
  3. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Lots of those High Schoolers are in the NBA now. I also referee Division 3 college. In 5+ years I will be a Division 1 official (the highest level I'd take it). I referee 350-400+ Games every year. I have a perspective that a lot simply don't have. No one is "swinging" a dick...

4. rasheedfan2005

rasheedfan2005 Well-Known Member

if i dont have someone hanging on to my back and someone hacking my arm i find it hard to make a layup tbh

5. noknobs

noknobs Well-Known Member

You're 'perspective' doesn't mean you have the only valid opinion when it comes to NBA officials or that you're the only who knows the rules. Soccer uses goal-line technology to assist officiating, tennis sure does, why can't the NBA do something similar? The point is to get the call right last I checked.

6. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

For the past 10 years I've refereed 350+ basketball games a year. Not sure why you put quotes around perspective. Your view from the stands is just that.

7. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Makes me think of the old joke about a guy spending all game yelling at a referee about how terrible his calls are. So during a 4th quarter timeout, the ref walks up into the stands to sit next to the fan, telling him that he's going to stay there for the remainder of the game. The fan says, "What are you doing?! You can't referee the game from up here!" The ref responds, "Exactly. Now shut the hell up," and returns to the floor.

8. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

What a stupid fan, to be so easily tricked.

9. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

And YES I've had that experience! Hilarious! Though I don't tell fans to shut the hell up.

10. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

If only we had a valid opinion like the ymca ref.

Thankfully I have coached a gazillion years, so my opinion will be almost as valid as i am on the floor.

Also, thankfully, refs opinion on strategy is not valid cause he's just a ref.

Its too bad we cant go somewhere as fans and talk about the team we love without being shunned because we are just mere fans. Or being told to learn the game, then, and only then, post.

If only there were such a place. A forum of sorts, maybe? That would be awesome.

11. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I volunteered at the Blazers summer basketball thing a few years ago when it was called the street jam. I was in charge of keeping score, fouls, time, etc... For the high school aged games. The referee at my court was a very kind older gentleman who said he did a lot of refereeing of middle school and elementary school games(I think it was something like 20+ years). Admittedly there were a few times where I questioned the accuracy of his calls, but he wasn't that bad. You wouldn't know it if you were blindfolded though, as one of the parents was heckling him and critiquing literally every single one of his calls. He kept his cool and ignored the parent, and when the game was over and he came to pick up the score card he mentioned it to me. I don't remember exactly what he said, but it was something along the lines of - can you believe some people think it's okay to act like that?

I told him not to worry about it, and that I thought he called a good game. But I did acknowledge that I noticed the parent hounding him as well, and agreed that this particular parent was being ludicrous.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015