CONCACAF Qualifying

Discussion in 'Americas' started by agoo, Aug 15, 2009.

1. agoo

agoo Member

Not in qualifying. Next time would probably be the World Cup if it works out. Unless we schedule a friendly.

2. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    Those are the exact results I would of predicted... Maybe not 4-1 for Honduras, though.

3. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

mexico winning 3-0 in costa rica is pretty surprising. costa rica is really good at home.

4. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
    No doubt, but I am good at predictions and using my gut feelings. I correctly predicted United falling to Burnley at Old Trafford.

5. agoo

agoo Member

Code:
    	      Pld W D L GF GA  GD Pts
    United States	8 5 1 2 14  9 + 5  16
    Mexico		8 5 0 3 12  9 + 3  15
    Honduras	8 4 1 3 14  8 + 6  13
    Costa Rica	8 4 0 4  9 13 - 4  12
    El Salvador	8 2 2 4  8 10 - 2   8
    Trin and Tob	8 1 2 5  8 18 -10   5
    And down the stretch they come. Here are the results from the 8th round:

USA over Trin and Tob 3-1
    Mexico over Honduras 1-0
    El Salvador over Costa Rica 1-0

So what exactly has happened to Costa Rica? A few weeks back it seemed like Los Ticos were going to surpass Mexico and join the US as the top two teams in CONCACAF. Now they're in a place where they might not qualify if they don't get it together.

Trinidad and Tobago are officially out, while the US and Mexico have assured themselves a shot at COMEBOL's fifth place team for a World Cup spot. Both the US and Mexico are definitely in the driver seat as its looking like 18 points will guarantee a qualifying spot. The US needs a win or two draws, while Mexico a win to get to 18. Honduras and Costa Rica need two wins to get to 18 and El Salvador needs an act of God, but its possible.

The US has the toughest path as they travel to Honduras on October 10th and hosts Costa Rica on the 14th. Both teams have a lot to play for and the US will need a strong effort to get points in either match. An effort like they gave tonight in Port of Spain won't cut it and they'll be playing a CONCACAF side in November.

Mexico has the easiest path as they host El Salvador and travel to Trinidad. Both matches are winnable as Javier Aguirre has turned El Tri around and could put them on top of qualifying.

Honduras hosts the US and then travel to El Salvador. Costa Rica hosts Trinidad and then travels to the US. El Salvador travels to Mexico and then hosts Honduras.

Here are my updated predictions:
    October 10
    US draws Honduras 2-2
    Mexico over El Salvador 2-0
    Costa Rica over Trinidad 3-2

October 14
    US over Costa Rica 2-0
    Mexico over Trinidad 3-0
    Honduras over El Salvador 2-1

This puts Mexico on top with 21 points, US in second with 20, Honduras third with 17, and Costa Rica in fourth with 15.

6. agoo

agoo Member

Just to clarify, Ives posted three USA qualification scenarios on his blog today.