Congrats Kobe: Youngest Player to 10,000 Points

Discussion in 'Los Angeles Lakers' started by LaBballFan, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Damian Necronamous

Damian Necronamous JBB JustBBall Member

Kobe got to the 10,000 point plateau last night, but Artest defended him brilliantly. Luckily, Rob was able to bail us out of that game again.

Anyways, CONGRATS KOBE! :mrgreen:

2. SCBrian

SCBrian JBB JustBBall Member

to me...age is more important...because its at how young of an age he was able to get his game to that kind of level...the age is indicative of where his career can go from here...Kobe has a lot of years left in him...he's full potential has still been unseen and that is what is scary about guys like Kobe and T-mac...they will keep on getting better...especially if T-Mac keeps workin with Kobe in the offseason

3. Online

Online JBB JustBBall Member

Congrats to Kobe!

500th post.!!! [​IMG]

4. steviefranchise

steviefranchise JBB JustBBall Member

way to go kobe, if there's anybody that would have to be dubbed the closest to resembling Michael Jordan, it probably would be Kobe Bryant.

I'm not saying he is close to Michael, i'm just saying if you had to pick someone, EVERYBODY would have to pick Kobe.

5. olskoolfunktitude

olskoolfunktitude JBB The Pig Pirate

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "SCBrian":</div><div class="quote_post">i wasn't talking about his scoring average for this year either...i was saying to boost up his average in general to 37ppg for a 3 month period of time...'genius'...you are so stupid it is not even funny...kobe is already considered an all-time great...he is for sure better then Bird and closing fast on Jordan...

kobe took 473 career games to get to 10,000

</div>

dud you have got to take a rest with this kobe stuff. youre really gonna embarass yourself unless you have some kind of crush on kobe. no one considers him an all time great. hes not one of the 100 best ever to play the game yet let alone teh top 50.hes just too young. only someone as dominant as wilt chamberlain could be considered an all time great after a short time. by saying hes as good as bird and magic and jordan youre saying hes like one of teh ten best ever to play already. it just doesnt make any sense. bird could score just as good as kobe and he did so much more in terms of passing and rebounding and other parts of the game. bird was also much more clutch than kobe is. michael jordan? i shouldnt even have to tell you why hes much better than kobe. bottom line is its still hotly debated whether kobe is even the best in teh game today. there are a good 5 or 6 guys who you could defiently argue are better than him right now even if you dont want to believe it. you can certainly argue that hes the best but its not hands down by a long shot. so what chance does he have of being better than the all time greats if he hasnt even proved that hes teh greatest today? hell he isnt even the greatest on his own team! shaq is teh reason tehyre winning championships and dont think for a second that the results would be any different if you took kobe and switched him with a t-mac or pierce or even a kidd or an iverson.

6. SCBrian

The 50 Greatest Player's in NBA history:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Nate Archibald
    Paul Arizin
    Charles Barkley
    Rick Barry
    Elgin Baylor
    Dave Bing
    Larry Bird
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Bob Cousy
    Dave Cowens
    Billy Cunningham
    Dave DeBusschere
    Clyde Drexler
    Julius Erving
    Patrick Ewing
    Walt Frazier
    George Gervin
    Hal Greer
    John Havlicek
    Elvin Hayes
    Magic Johnson
    Sam Jones
    Michael Jordan
    Jerry Lucas
    Karl Malone
    Moses Malone
    Pete Maravich
    Kevin McHale
    George Mikan
    Earl Monroe
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Shaquille O'Neal
    Robert Parish
    Bob Pettit
    Scottie Pippen
    Willis Reed
    Oscar Robertson
    David Robinson
    Bill Russell
    Dolph Schayes
    Bill Sharman
    John Stockton
    Isiah Thomas
    Nate Thurmond
    Wes Unseld
    Bill Walton
    Jerry West
    Lenny Wilkens
    James Worthy

Kobe is already better and has had more achievements than AT LEAST half of the players on that list...and he's 24...probably 3-4 years away from his PRIME...

and looking at that list of those who are considered all-time greats...it would seem that scottie pippen is considered a great even though he was OBVIOUSLY second fiddle to jordan...kobe is not OBVIOUSLY second fiddle to shaq just so u know...there are nights when kobe dominates and nights when shaq dominates...with the bulls...there were RARELY nights when pippen dominated more then jordan...

John Stockton and Karl Malone? which one was better? you can't be an all-time great if one of your teammates is an all-time great too?

Jordan and Pippen

Magic, Worthy, Kareem

Bird, Parish, McHale (hell there are 2 teams with THREE)

Stockton and Malone

i can go through and get more but i've proven my point...

7. pacers#1

pacers#1 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "SCBrian":</div><div class="quote_post">to me...age is more important...because its at how young of an age he was able to get his game to that kind of level...the age is indicative of where his career can go from here...Kobe has a lot of years left in him...he's full potential has still been unseen and that is what is scary about guys like Kobe and T-mac...they will keep on getting better...especially if T-Mac keeps workin with Kobe in the offseason</div>

No games is more important. Imagine Wilt playing when he was 18. He wouldve gotten 10000 pts by the time he was 21.

8. SCBrian

i don't even wanna discuss wilt's scoring prowess...that is a joke...

if wilt played in the NBA today he would average 15 ppg...

9. olskoolfunktitude

wow...thats shocking. i guess shapecity was right when he said brian is our "shock jock".i just wish we had a shock jock who knew something about basketball. kobe has not achieved more than anyof thoseplayers. and questioning wilts scoring prowess automatically renders any other point you might have completely useless!!!! thats like saying that wayne gretzky wouldnt score more than ten goals a season if he played todayn in his prime. wilt would probably score even more if he played today because of the way the game is now. nobody has any clue whatto do against a good hookshot andwilt had the best of them all.

10. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "SCBrian":</div><div class="quote_post">The 50 Greatest Player's in NBA history:

Kobe is already better and has had more achievements than AT LEAST half of the players on that list...and he's 24...probably 3-4 years away from his PRIME...

</div>

You dont know that, he could get injured and his careeris over, personally, i would think of this as his prime year, hes having an amazing season!

11. SCBrian

pure speculation...you can't say for sure...and neither can i so i guess i shouldnt have been so 'assertive'

but the bodies are much bigger and much more athletic then wilt's day...15ppg yah that was prolly goin a lil bit too far...but i would be very surprised if he led the league in scoring...double teaming from quick athletic guards would help reduce the effectiveness of him in the post...and the zone D that was set to slow down Shaq would slow down Wilt as well...

and yes Kobe has achieved more than any of those players...in fact some people think that the top 50 list needs to be updated...removing some players and including others...heading the list of those who need to be added...Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett...and Kobe and KG aren't even in their prime's yet...scary to think how much better they're gonna get...

if kobe retired today...he'd still have a shot at the hall...his scoring streaks / 3 championships / 6-time all-star / 1st team all-nba member / all-defensive team honors 3 years in a row / mvp of an all-star game / holds nba record for most 3 pters made in a single game / youngest player in nba history to be named an all-star / youngest player in nba history to 10,000 points

thats hall material right there and he's only in his 7th season...

12. Mel JBB

Mel JBB JBB Webmaster

damn, oldschool and SC, you guys are both in the very extremes...

kobe's growing into his own and is definitely making his mark on the game. you have to give him props for all of his achievements. and you gotta realize, he's only 24!! i honestly don't think we've even seen his prime yet.

and about wilt chamberlain. sure wilt was living as a giant among boys (and before modern nba rules came into play), but anyone who can score 100 pts in a game...you gotta give him props for that. not to mention he is the whole reason why some rules came into affect (ie goal tending...)

13. olskoolfunktitude

yea. dont expect kobe to get any better than he is now.morelikely he ends up like grant hill. grant hill wzs better than kobe when he started out (but SCbrian wouldny know that cuz he doesnt seem to whatch any player ecxept kobe LOL) and lookk whAat happened to him. also kobe will likely diminish his numbers when hes no longer playing with shaq because hell have to face a double teammore often. ive seen kobe against teh double team and he deosnt handle it as well as some other players. kobe is enjoying a career year but hes far from teh best of his generation. hes not even teh ebst on his own team.

14. SCBrian

yah look wut happened to grant hill...his team thought so much of him that they traded him for chucky atkins and ben wallace...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE try to tell me that the Lakers would trade Kobe for Chucky Atkins and Ben Wallace so i can laugh at you...its sorry cuz Ben Wallace is 10x's better than he was when they made that trade too...but the Lakers still wouldn't do it...as much as i love hill's overall game, and yes i do think he coulda been one of the game's greats had he not gotten injured, he's not kobe...not even close...

you're an idiot...

don't even try to talk down to or about me...

15. olskoolfunktitude

hahaha......fair enough...i guesssomeone wants to start a war again. sorry kid its too late for me right now. im jus gon have to ignore you like most folks do...lol

anyways,mel youre right kobes got a lot of accomplishments under his belt. ive just never thuoght it fair to talk about a player in such a historical context when hes so young. and when you do that you also have to consider his place among the league. i mean maybe hes more skilled than a paul arizin or something but those old guys stood out much more than kobe does against their competition. i mean how can you say kobe is one of thegreatest ever when its not even proven that hes 5the best today?

16. SCBrian

what are you talking about? you're telling me that i 'want to start a war'...dude...you're the one that started it in teh first place tellin me im in love with kobe and sayin im gonna embarass myself...

east coast haters...i don't hate on pierce / t-mac or ANYONE in the league (except for Vince but thats cuz he's so overrated that it makes me sick, it ain't his fault and i know it)...oh i forgot...i hate on antoine walker too but i think he's still a GOOD player...not a great one...i just don't like him in general...everyone hates on kobe tho...its so ridiculous and uncalled for...

<font color="blue">made PG13 by mel</font>

17. Mel JBB

Mel JBB JBB Webmaster

i somewhat agree that it's premature to put kobe on the Top 50...but he's only 24 and he looks damn healthy. call me an optimist, but the future looks very bright for kobe.

18. vinsanity03

vinsanity03 JBB JustBBall Member

thats what everyone said about VC, next MJ...then he was injured

19. steviefranchise

steviefranchise JBB JustBBall Member

Man, you've got to be the realest VC fan i know, not some person like,"vince carter's better than MJ" and shit like that. Way to go man.

Anyways,kobe does have great hall of fame capability, but i bet back in Grant Hill's day before he got traded, there was people saying the exact same thing. so we'll never know, only the future can tell....

20. LaBballFan

LaBballFan JBB JustBBall Member

Broken records this year by Kobe

? 9 straight 40 pt games
    ? 13 straight 35 pt games
    ? 16 straight 30 pt games
    ? 3rd player in NBA history to avg over 40 for a whole month
    ? Youngest player ever to get 10 000 points

He has so much more broken records in his carrer like

Youngest player ever
    Youngest player ever to be an all star
    Most points ever in high school

and so on

Kobe did so many things in his carrer and he is only 24.

I can understand people not liking Kobe Bryant, but giving his achievements no respect makes certain people big haters