OT Coronavirus: America in chaos, News and Updates. One million Americans dead and counting

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by SlyPokerDog, Jan 3, 2020.

1. jonnyboy

jonnyboy Well-Known Member

2. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

UncleCliffy'sDaddy We're all Bozos on this bus.

I’m not arguing your point about the vaccines not being a one time thing. I get it, just like I get that I can still get the flu if I take the flu vaccine. All these vaccines do is reduce the risk of catching the disease (and possibly mitigate the effects if taken ill). It’s why so many Americans religiously get an annual flu shot. And I expect it will be the same for the corona virus. I know for a fact that I have been exposed and have remained healthy. I have traveled fairly extensively and have remained unaffected. I believe, based on solid personal evidence that the vaccine has greatly reduced my chances of getting ill. Again, basic, inarguable common sense. Is there a chance I will catch the disease? Absolutely. But if I do, it is highly unlikely I will take up a hospital bed that someone else might actually need more than I. Where I am struggling is that the antivaxxers have made their choice. They have taken their stand. Live or die with it. But don’t let other people live or die with it because of personal selfish choices. That verges on criminal IMO. But if they chose to refuse the vaccine, tough shit. End of story.

3. jonnyboy

You have a strange way of basing your entire argument around caring about these people while simultaneously saying fuck it let em die.

This seems to be the cyclical theme though when I present people with pretty basic, accessible mainstream data.

“I’m protected because the vaccine works”
    “Then why do you care if I am vaccinated or not?”
    “You spread it and I don’t”
    “You spread it just as much, look at these countries”
    “Hospitals are full!”
    “No, they aren’t”

Repeat.

It seems many of you are just deathly afraid of this disease, but also coping with the fact that you are burnt out of all this lockdown shit. You need someone to direct the blame at and feel your neighbor is an easier target than the government who locked you up, and possibly funded the research that birthed this virus in the first fucking place. Your anger is misdirected.

4. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    So, if I understand correctly, your biggest beef is the potential of non-vaccinated folks taking up precious hospital space, etc.?

5. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

Here is the study that @jonnyboy is misquoting.

A couple of things, yes, a 2nd booster will not offer much more protection than 1 booster for Omicron.

This does not mean the vaccines don't work.

Actually, it means just the opposite. The vaccine is working.

Also, Israel is one of the most vaccinated countries, and while people have gotten ill from Omicron they have recorded zero deaths from it.

Israel sticks with 4th vaccine shot, sees Omicron wave waning next week

JERUSALEM, Jan 18 (Reuters) - Israel will continue to offer a fourth COVID-19 vaccine shot despite preliminary findings that it is not enough to prevent Omicron infections, the Health Ministry said on Tuesday, predicting contagions stoked by the variant will wane in a week.

With his government scaling back Omicron counter-measures to ease the strain on the economy, Prime Minister Naftali Bennett sought to cast Israel's still-high case numbers primarily as a result of an en-masse testing drive rather than infection rates.

The fastest country to roll out vaccinations a year ago, Israel last month started offering a fourth shot - also known as a second booster - to its most vulnerable and high-risk groups.

A preliminary study published by an Israeli hospital on Monday found that the fourth shot increases antibodies to even higher levels than the third but "probably" not enough to fend off the highly transmissible Omicron. read more

Health Ministry director-general Nachman Ash described those findings as "unsurprising, to a degree" as Omicron infections had been logged in some fourth-dose recipients.

But "protection from serious morbidity, especially for the elderly population and at-risk population, is still afforded by this vaccine (dose), and therefore I call on people to keep coming to get vaccinated," he told Army Radio.

As elsewhere, Israel has seen COVID-19 cases spiral due to Omicron. But it has logged no deaths from the variant, and Ash said there had been no increase in COVID-19 patients on ECMO machines - a gauge of the most critical cases.

"In another week we will begin seeing a drop in the numbers, but we still have two or three difficult weeks ahead," he said, adding that some Health Ministry computers had been overloaded by the volume of testing data since Sunday, disrupting updates.

Briefing the World Economic Forum in Davos, Bennett said Israel was testing as many as 5% of its 9.4 million population for COVID-19 each day, "and that's why the case numbers are so high, not because necessarily so many people are infected".

"By doing these tests we can isolate folks and slow down the pace of infection," he said.

Israel on Monday cut the mandatory quarantine period for COVID-19 carriers to five days. read more To conserve PCRs and reduce queuing at public testing sites, it has encouraged more use of home antigen kits. On Tuesday, the government said 25 million to 30 million kits would be issued to Israelis for free.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middl...ine-shot-sees-omicron-waning-week-2022-01-18/

6. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

It's easy to make jokes and laugh about these people, but they are people. I feel pitty for them, that for one reason or the other they were duped in to not taking this seriously, the results often like this case are dismal and deadly, the worst part being that it could have been prevented.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  7. SlyPokerDog

Don't be silly.

[​IMG]

twobullz likes this.
  8. BLAZINGGIANTS

BLAZINGGIANTS Well-Known Member

the way some of this shit gets interpreted…. is further proof of how our education system is so fucked (like our health care system). So many people clearly struggle to read and process information.

noknobs likes this.
  9. jonnyboy

I literally quoted nothing in this article. Not one single thing. Nor did I attempt to. So you’ve defeated your own premise in the first sentence. But, I’ll bite anyway. Where’s the part that supports the unhinged hatred against the unvaccinated? I argued against the notion that the unvaccinated were killing others. Who? Other unvaccinated people, (maybe)? Why do you care? Fuck em, right? Or are the hospitals “full” again today? That is usually the argument that follows the crumbling of the “we’re all gonna die” narrative. This article you linked proves exactly the point I was making by the way. Extremely high vaccination rate, extremely high case rate. Doesn’t stop spread, clearly. If the vaccine works against morbid sickness, great! Go get it. Nothing here supports the misguided notion that I’m going to kill you with my cooties.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  10. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

You made claims about the vaccines in Israel that were false.

You constantly get on others who won't admit they are wrong. So, why won't you?

THE HCP and Phatguysrule like this.
  11. jonnyboy

What was false? Which claim, mod?

12. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
    Hmmmmm...endemic?

13. Chris Craig

That the vaccines arent working

And yes, I'm a mod if you haven't figured that out

Phatguysrule likes this.
  14. ABM

Commercial Real Estate
  15. andalusian

andalusian Season - Restarted

Phatguysrule, noknobs and SlyPokerDog like this.
  16. jonnyboy

Quote, please.

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

That countries have not very successfully contained the spread of covid...first false claim....Africa dropped the ball completely and let European travelers in when covid hit Europe...once covid free now Tanzania and Uganda are washed over with cases and few doctors per capita...even fewer respirators....you should study the New Zealand and Taiwan approach to stopping the spread and stop denying it's success in wake of failures in countries who ignored it....South Africa had 100k deaths in a matter of weeks after ignoring it....yeah...not all obese people either. The spreading of disinformation based on failed American stubborness in combating the spread is the fault of irresponsibility....nothing to do with political conspiracies other than the lies the Trump admin first trotted out to the public when we had just a few cases....live and learn. I don't want people to die of this but because of denial....it's lasted twice as long as it should have ...we'd already be in the endemic phase if so many people had just followed safety measures diligently.....as it is we can get to the endemic phase if we contain it well enough for the rest of the winter. Talk is cheap...walk the walk. America has an embarrassing record of safety compliance throughout this global pandemic....nothing to brag about. There are thousands of virologists around the world that aren't your Fauci boogey man......some aren't even wealthy...go figure...but all have come to mostly the same conclusions about covid....you're free to make the choices you claim to have made but really, you're spreading lots of misinformation along the way

18. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

Let’s be clear about something; I DO NOT care about “these people”, because they do not care about me. My argument from start to finish is, “fuck ‘em. Let em die”. At least I’m being honest, whether that makes me an asshole or not. I AM vaccinated, and so far the vaccine has worked because I have not gotten the virus despite being exposed (likely on a daily basis). I have no doubt that vaccinated people spread it as much as unvaccinated people. But facts show that hospitals are full up with unvaccinated people who have gotten Covid. Is every hospital in America full? Fuck no. But I see/hear first hand evidence virtually every day that local people who require hospitalization for things like cancer, surgical procedures, etc, etc, etc are being turned away because there are no beds thanks to unvaccinated Covid patients. It is a truth that you (or anyone else) cannot deny, no I matter how much you may desire to.

I do not “hate” the unvaccinated. So please don’t accuse me of that. I simply have no sympathy for them whatsoever. If that makes me a “bad” person, so be it. Nor am I “deathly afraid of this disease”. If I was I wouldn’t have taken a part time job in customer service. The vaccine gave me the confidence to deal with it (and seems to be doing a fine job so far). And I find it far, far, far more justifiable to blame the unvaccinated for prolonging the pandemic than blaming the government (as you seem to be doing). Just whose anger is misdirected? Hey, it’s possible we could BOTH be correct! But I guess we all have to blame someone, eh?

SlyPokerDog and riverman like this.
  19. UncleCliffy'sDaddy

Yes. Along with helping to prolong the pandemic.

ABM and riverman like this.
  20. SlyPokerDog

I didn't say you quoted from the article I posted. I said you misquoted or misrepresented the study that both you and the article are talking about.

I care about the unvaccinated. I may have posted a couple of memes or tweets that were funny, (See today's butter vegetable joke for example.) but my direct words and personal actions do not support what you're accusing me of.

I have posted a few articles that say hospitals are having to reduce services in other areas as they try to prevent themselves from filling up. You have not responded to that. Again, we are rationing healthcare. The statistics show the unvaccinated are the ones requiring more of our healthcare resources. That affects the vaccinated and unvaccinated in areas beyond just covid.

"Extremely high vaccination rate, extremely high case rate. Doesn’t stop spread, clearly." does not present an accurate picture. Because of Israel's high vaccination rate they are not having to ration healthcare to the same extent that we currently are. But that does not mean they are not looking for ways to improve the situation. As the article states they are looking for ways to protect their most vulnerable through an additional vaccine dose and in-home testing.

With Omicron the vaccine vastly reduces the severity and length of time someone is sick. This helps to reduce the spread.

And yes, your "cooties" could unintentionally kill someone.

Chris Craig and riverman like this.