Correia lasts three, Pirates fall to Phillies

Discussion in 'National League Central' started by truebluefan, Mar 5, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

"Right-hander Kevin Correia gave up two runs on five hits in three innings in his second start of the spring for the Pirates, who lost, 7-4, to the Phillies on Friday at McKechnie Field.

After allowing four straight singles ? three to right field and one to center ? to start the game, the 30-year-old retired nine of the next 10 he faced before his outing was over. He had five strikeouts and no walks.

"Last time I went out, my mechanics weren't very good, so I just wanted to go out, tighten up my mechanics and throw some strikes early, get them to put the ball in play quicker, and I did," said Correia, who signed as a free agent Dec. 17. "Any one of those ground balls goes to somebody, and it's a good inning."

Right-hander Joe Blanton gave up two runs on four hits in 32/3 innings for the Phillies (4-3), whose starting lineup included shortstop Jimmy Rollins, third baseman Placido Polanco, left fielder Raul Ibanez and first baseman Ryan Howard in the top four spots."

Read more: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/correia-lasts-three-pirates-fall-to-phillies-472047.html