Rumor Countdown to Thursday, June 22 - How this could play out

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by TBpup, Jun 18, 2017.

1. santeesioux

santeesioux Just keep on scrolling by

Trolling the internet
    Love wouldn't be that exciting, but if you can get him without giving up the 15th pick, you'd be set at PF and have a couple of assets to be set at SF.

rotary111 and riverman like this.
  2. 1eyejack

1eyejack Active Member

I'm probably in minority but I'd take Love if we can shed salary. Don't see how anyone can say it doesn't make us better and to me the way your going to beat Golden State is go old school, go big. Better than anything we'd get with a draft pick.

3. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

FUCK FACILITATING either get Paul George or tell them to get lost. Does Olshey work for the cavs? Sick of these favors.

RipCityDSCPL likes this.
  4. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Facilitating is what got us these picks in the first place. Neil gets involved and we end up getting money for nothing and chicks for free.

We basically got Rolo for nothing because the Pelicans were trying to clear space to sign Tyreke Evans. Neil is great at lurking in the shadows and jumping in to pick up table scraps that end up being solid contributors for us.

dviss1, rotary111, TBpup and 3 others like this.
  5. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
  6. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

yes and we got Thomas Robinson when Houston was trying to clear space for Dwight. My point is, when is it our turn? Those scraps are ok and I appreciate a good deal, but when are we going to actually go for it?

RipCityDSCPL, TBpup and Chris Craig like this.
  7. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Its our turn when we decide it is. When we stop facilitating trades and throw down the gauntlet to get a big fish. The Blazers have to put their foot down, and put their balls in the fray. But, Neil unfortunately is a guy who facilitates trades and plays middle man in the hopes that he will build enough repertoire with other teams they will eventually trade directly with him down the road with the curried favor. This is false logic, its like that kid at recess who never gets picked until last and is ok with it. The Blazers are that kid, and they need to step up play a hell of a game come the draft so they are never picked last again.

RipCityDSCPL and Dougnsalem like this.
  8. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I don't think that's it. I think that we haven't had much to play WITH. Unless you want to trade Dame or CJ, which I'm sure we could do quite easily, you're stuck trying to peddle guys like Harkless, Crabbe, Meyers, and Turner.

Superstars aren't traded very often, and when they are, they're not usually traded for role players.

9. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I think is more likely we go big, then to trade up in the draft. I think Neil will try to go big and trade a pick or two for a player(s) and if it fails draft our picks. maybe buy a pick in the second round. I think we are going to see two or three of our guys headed out the door on Thursday. I just hope Meyers is one of them. Though for all the shit we talk of Meyers watch he has a career year next season. wait...(laughs hysterically)

TBpup, riverman, Dougnsalem and 2 others like this.
  10. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree with this and the OP. Olshey will take a swing. Let's hope he connects boom home run grand salami.

RipCityDSCPL likes this.
  11. glazeduck

glazeduck Well-Known Member

Man, you guys are myopic! The reality is that we probably shouldn't even be in a position to "go all in"... You guys realize that we should have a core right now of Brandon Roy, Greg Oden and Lamarcus Aldridge, all in their primes right now, right??? Not only do we not, we got absolutely NOTHING for all of them. How many other franchises can say they lost their entire core and are still in playoff contention with enough flexibility and pieces to even have discussions around "when it's time to make their move"?

Dame and CJ are young enough that we can -- and SHOULD -- be looking at a serious run in about 2 years, once GS and Cleveland start their fall from grace. Just my opinion, but I think any asset that's spent in trying to "have our turn" before those two start their descent is utterly wasted. I don't care how exciting Nurk's arrival was or what we do on Thursday, we're not going to be championship contenders while they're still firing on all cylinders.

So yeah, if we can add another young talented piece (like what's being thrown around in the LA trade thread), then cool. If we have to facilitate to keep stacking assets for now, I think that's a prudent move too. We might only get a couple year window where a true run is a possibility here -- would you really prefer that we miss that window entirely because you were frustrated that it's not "our turn" yet???

Chris Craig, TBpup and illmatic99 like this.
  12. EGame

EGame "You're the only one of these fools I trust"

I fully believe we have the assets to trade for Paul George (mainly the 3 first round picks), but I'm sure the reason we aren't swinging for the fences as with most big time trades, George probably won't resign with us.

Chris Craig and 1eyejack like this.
  13. lawai'a

lawai'a Well-Known Member

neil getting chris paul worked out after the league vetoed the gasol trade. even the three team la-Houston-NO trade would have only netted l. scola, kevin martin, lamar odom, goran dragic and a Houston via ny 1st rounder for new orleans. neil got him for Kaman, Gordon, aminu and minnisotas 2012 pick, he even got 2 2nd rounders from New Orleans.

14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

2nd rounder we paid 3 mil for in the past

15. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm sure Neil is talking to PG13's agent and getting a very good idea if he'd even think about resigning with us haha

16. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I think people are underrating Love. He was used horribly in CLE.

Pridan, dviss1, RR7 and 7 others like this.
  17. 1eyejack

1eyejack Active Member

I agree listen we most likely aren't getting George he doesn't want to come to Portland so get into the trade and gain an asset. I'm not a big Love fan but adding him definitely makes us better and that much closer. Draft picks are huge risk especially the lower you go so yes if we can get in on trade then do it.

Eastoff likes this.
  18. Binx

Binx Well-Known Member

I don't care what happens as long as we ship Leonard out of town. If that happens, it's a successful draft.

dviss1, Dougnsalem and Chris Craig like this.
  19. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner

IT'S MY TURN WHEN I SAY IT IS!!

[​IMG]

@glazeduck ....more reasoned brilliance.

20. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I just think the passing out of a love -nurk frontcourt would be amazing. I know he doesn't fix this, that, or the other, but I'd happily take him