Cowboys sign Tank Johnson to 2-year deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by GMJ, Sep 18, 2007.

1. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'></p>

By John Clayton
    ESPN.com</p>

Defensive lineman Tank Johnson, who cannot play until midseason because of an eight-game NFL suspension, reached a two-year agreement with the Dallas Cowboys on Tuesday.</p>

Terms of the deal were not available. The agreement was reached 10 minutes before a deadline imposed by the Cowboys.</p>

The former Chicago Bear visited team officials Monday night and hoped to have a deal in place by Tuesday afternoon. Although it is unclear what he can do between now and when he is reinstated by the league, the former Chicago Bear at least has a future employer.</p>

"For a lot of reasons, he really just felt the Cowboys were the right fit," Johnson's agent, Jerrold Colton, told The Associated Press. "He's so thankful to them for giving him this opportunity. He is very determined to prove they made a wise decision in believing in him."</p>

Johnson's suspension resulted form a probation violation on a gun charge that included a two-month prison term that he served in the spring.</p>

Then, in June, Johnson was stopped by Gilbert, Ariz., police for speeding. His blood alcohol level was found to be .072, under the presumptive limit for DUI in Arizona, and Johnson was not charged. Still, the fact that he was out late at night and had been drinking might discourage commissioner Roger Goodell from reducing the suspension.</p>

Once the Bears learned of the Arizona incident, Johnson was immediately released.</p>

Johnson will have a half-season to learn the Cowboys' nose tackle position, as starter Jason Ferguson suffered a season-ending biceps injury in Dallas' season-opening win over the Giants.</p>

</div></p>

He's often referred to at undersized, being just under 300 lbs. Personally I think his skill level speaks for itself, as any random 350+ lb dude off the street would make a horrible NT. Looking forward to seeing him play in week 9.</p>

</p>

</p>

2. TheBeef

TheBeef Commish of FUN!

timing seems a little fishy considering who they are playing this week....

3. The Return of the Raider

The Return of the Raider Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheBeef)</div><div class='quotemain'>timing seems a little fishy considering who they are playing this week....</div></p>

Fish Tank?</p>

Bizzare, indeed. </p>

</p>

4. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

Yeah they talked about possible PR rammifications on PTI today, but personally I don't think this would have happened if Fergy stayed healthy.

5. Moo2K4

Moo2K4 NBA West Producer

I'm excited for this move. When he gets back, the Dallas defense will be highly improved by his prescence. I mean, it's not everyday where you can get a potential all pro DT out of the free agency going in to week 3.

6. Dark Hero

Dark Hero Can't Tell Me Nothing

Very interesting signing by the Cowboys but its also a great move because the defence will improve.

7. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

I will say that we had to cut Nathan Jones to make this move....yeah thats it. haha