Croce blasts Brown...

Discussion in 'Philadelphia 76ers' started by sunsfan1357, Jun 26, 2003.

1. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/6171147.htm

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Croce says Brown had control and tried to miss practices
    By Stephen A. Smith
    Inquirer Staff Writer

Hours after lambasting former 76ers coach Larry Brown on a local morning radio show, Pat Croce, Brown's former boss, didn't shy away from his comments at all.

Reached by telephone last night, Croce, the former Sixers president, repeated what he said on WIP-AM (610). He blasted Brown for getting on Allen Iverson's tardiness at practice, and for "lying" when he said he "never had final say" as vice president of basketball operations in his six-year stint in Philadelphia.

"That statement alone was an insult to Billy King and to me," Croce said, referring to the current Sixers president. "I love Larry. I've always had a good relationship with Larry. But for him to come out and say what he said was completely false. It was wrong."

Croce also said Brown had attempted to miss practices himself.

"I had to call Larry to practice a few times," Croce said. "There were a couple of times I personally had to call him at home to come into work because he didn't want to come. There was a time when I had to address the team and let them know he wouldn't be in because he was contemplating whether or not he was going to quit."

Brown was unavailable for comment.

Croce said he was extremely upset when Brown took the Detroit Pistons job exactly a week after leaving the Sixers.

"When Larry resigned, that was one thing," Croce said. "But when he took the Pistons job - a team within the same conference who just finished knocking us out of the playoffs - that really upset me. I didn't like it one bit.

"Then add to that him saying he was never in control when he knows full well that he was because it was specifically negotiated into his contract, it's even more insulting. The entire organization knew who the boss was. For him to say he never had control, that he never knew what his title was, upset me.

"There's a lot of things we would have never had to deal with had he not been in control. So, obviously, Larry was in control."

Croce also said it still bothered him from time to time to recall Brown's assertions that Croce interfered with Brown's relationship with Iverson.</div>

2. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Croce said he was extremely upset when Brown took the Detroit Pistons job exactly a week after leaving the Sixers.
    </div>

That says it all really for me...

3. sunsfan1357

sunsfan1357 JBB JustBBall Member

It's not like Croce exactly said anything wrong about Brown. Just because Brown is the coach of your team now doesn't mean you have to defend him religiously also. It's ok to admit mistakes people on your team have made.

4. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

I don't know what more to say on this...we don't know what goes on behind the scenes in philly....if larry did something wrong..then a new start is good for him...really i don't know what else to add

5. STC

STC JBB JustBBall Member

Detroit is a much better situation. A 50 win team, adding Darko. They are going to be the best team in the East. And in Philly, what do you have. A team really going nowhere.

6. superman637332

superman637332 JBB JustBBall Member

Raptors 03-04 EAST CHAMPS i put my life saving on it :twisted:

7. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "superman637332":</div><div class="quote_post">Raptors 03-04 EAST CHAMPS i put my life saving on it :twisted:</div>

You will be the only one [​IMG]

8. superman637332

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "allnet":</div><div class="quote_post"><div class="quote_poster">Quoting "superman637332":</div><div class="quote_post">Raptors 03-04 EAST CHAMPS i put my life saving on it :twisted:</div>

You will be the only one [​IMG]</div>
    ya i bet raptors 21 will agree lol well i promise we will be in the eastern conference finals [​IMG]

9. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Try make the playoffs first..even that might be unlikely...nevermind ECF..

10. superman637332

The Playoffs please if VC CAn get heathly or get traded playoffs will be nothign we got the number 7 spot w/o him year b4

11. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Teams have improved alot since then...and if vince is heathly is like saying will pigs fly one day [​IMG]

12. superman637332

Wouldnt surprise me if the raptors make some trades and finish higher than your beloved pistons who are prolly the most boring team in the east

13. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "superman637332":</div><div class="quote_post">Wouldnt surprise me if the raptors make some trades and finish higher than your beloved pistons </div>

Riight.........and magic johnson will come out of retirement and average a triple double [​IMG]

14. superman637332

im just laughing now becuz darko is gunna be a complete bust atleast i know the raptors are drafting someone ive seend play

15. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting "superman637332":</div><div class="quote_post">im just laughing now becuz darko is gunna be a complete bust atleast i know the raptors are drafting someone ive seend play </div>

[​IMG] first you say darko will be a bust..then you say you know raps are drafting someone good because you have seen him play? then how the hell would you know about darko when you havn't seen him play? my god you made a really dumb statement...

you are fighting a losing battle here...you found the wrong person to start an arguement with...

16. superman637332

im jsut saying the kid looks like a bad yao ming

17. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

If thats so why has he been compared to wilt,tim duncan and some others? don't make such a stupid statement like "darko will be a bust" because you have no facts to back up your points..

18. superman637332

and i dont understand your coach likes mello,and it also shows your GM stupidity by giving up rick for a coach with a "horrible" record compared to rick

19. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Your posts seem to get dumber and dumber..

Who said our coach likes melo? he loves darko..stated it yesterday..

did i read that right? you called the GM of the year stupid? rick got released because of his problems with the players and the staff...also please explain how larry brown's record is horrible?

20. superman637332

compared to ricks it is bad and if you watch espn every now and then you'd know brown likes mello [​IMG]