Cronin's thoughts

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Feb 28, 2022.

1. BoomChakaLaka

BoomChakaLaka Well-Known Member

Designer / Artist
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico (formerly PDX)
    i suppose you are in the “trade Simons bandwagon” too?
    :breakdance:

2. oldmangrouch

oldmangrouch persona non grata

Are you talking about an actual basketball trade (talent for talent), or another bean-counter trade for cap space and TPEs we won't use?

3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

So if you break it down as

Covington for Winslow and Bledsoe, that’s a solid deal

Powell for Johnson, a first round pick last year and a second is a solid deal also

ESPECIALLY when teams knew we were dealing from a weak position due to our former GM

Eastoff, HailBlazers and RR7 like this.
  4. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Good breakdown. Obviously, I wanted a first round pick for either, but knew it was unlikely. With covington, I basically wanted to swap him for someone with an extra year of control. Covington for Winslow does just that.
    I liked Powell fine, but didn't want him as a SF, and with Ants emergence, that's still where he'd be. So moving for an expiring contract, a recent 1st round pick and a 2nd isn't bad value.

5. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I sure hope not. I hope him and Dame can really work together. I hope we get him signed to a long deal at a reasonable price. That being said, Dame doesn't have time to waste and if they aren't playing well together next season then I think you have to look at your personnel and make a tough decision on which one you trade at the deadline. We've seen two point guards who can't defend and dominate the ball and what that does to a team. That doesn't have to be the case here though, I'm open to seeing what they can do.

BoomChakaLaka likes this.
  6. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

No idea how serious the Siakam talks got

7. oldmangrouch

Some people may see this as snark, but it actually a serious comment.

When was the last time anybody described Dame as a former 1st rd pick? Seriously - when you refer to Johnson that way you are admiting he has done nothing since then worthy of note. A 2nd rd pick + zero = a 2nd rd pick. Powell was worth more than that.

Haakzilla likes this.
  8. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Nobody would refer that way to Dame NOW. but it makes plenty of sense when they're a rookie.
    A 2nd round pick plus zero isn't the entirety of the trade, so I don't know why you would try to present it that way.

9. oldmangrouch

I didn't present it that way. I was responding to a post that argued that Johnson and a 2nd rd pick was a good return for Powell. My response is that if you look at it that way, the only thing of value we got was the pick.

Obviously you can't really break a trade up the way he did...but for purpose of discussion I went along with his hypothetical. :dunno:

10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

How does Johnson have zero value?

11. oldmangrouch

What value do you see in him?

There is a term you hear in baseball: tools goof. He has the physical tools to play the game, but doesn't have the skills to excel at a high level.

12. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

he might have had value as a #21 pick. He has pretty close to zero value now.

BonesJones and oldmangrouch like this.
  13. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

The value of a raw 19 year old that has skills and needs development. Someone who 8 months ago was a first round draft pick. And it's possible our front office had a high grade on him during their scouting, saw something in him they liked, and were able to bring him in to see if our staff could develop him.

Eastoff likes this.
  14. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree. I don't think he has the same value as the pick did prior to the selection, but that doesn't mean half way through year 1 he has zero value. Of course, tons of people in here had basically written off Anfernee at this same juncture.

15. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I still thing Ant is better suited for 2 guard along side Dame. Bring Hart off the bench if we still have the three guards. But I do believe that if an opportunity for a star front court player is there we would have to couple either Ant, Hart or Naz to a pick.
    If the right guy is there you'd have to seriously consider it. We need more veteran star power in the front court.

16. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Value is in the eye of the beholder. Different teams can have different evaluations. I think it's clear that WE valued him at the same level as a first round pick. But it doesn't mean we could not have gotten more elsewhere.

RR7 likes this.
  17. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Yeah, after hearing his thoughts on the types of players he wants to add for Billups, I was looking at Keon's scouting report from nbadraft.net,

definitely sounds like the type of guy they would specifically target, even if he wasn't getting minutes in front of their other rookies.

HailBlazers and illmatic99 like this.
  18. illmatic99

Check out what they wrote for Jabari.

Has the length and size to elevate above most defenders and knock down jumpers whenever he gets to his spot …. Active, relentless defender with disruptive wingspan and good lateral quickness … Shows solid instincts and anticipation and gets blocks and steals without gambling … Versatile defender … Can switch onto 1-5 as a solid on ball defender on the perimeter and also holds his own in the post … Shows good feel as a help defender as well … Averaging 1.5 steals per game and around a block per game … Plays with a high level of energy at all times … Intelligent decision maker … Really seems to have a solid understanding of the game and plays with a lot of poise and maturity for a freshman … Also gives a high level of consistency with his effort and focus …

Ability to defend the perimeter at his size is an added dimension missing from the other top bigs at the top of this draft … Emerging as potentially the top prospect in the top-heavy 2022 class as perhaps the safest floor combined with an intriguing ceiling …

RR7 likes this.
  19. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

Would love to land that #1 pick and grab him. Just what we need at the 4, and I think he can contribute right away to help more for the future, but be a solid addition on Dame's time line as well.

TBpup likes this.
  20. illmatic99

i think Paolo's floor might be higher because of how well he can create from multiple places on the floor, but Jabari brings tantalizing shooting/defense at his size. if Smith figures out how to dribble, it's over. That's an All NBA type talent.

TBpup and RR7 like this.