Cut Luis Montero

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Draco, Oct 8, 2015.

1. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I'd rather have the 15th man be someone who could be a gem, not a 3rd string PG that if he had to play major minutes would make the team go from slightly atrocious to slightly more atrocious.

2. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I didn't want to see it to begin with

3. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Aminu, Harkless, Crabbe, Hendo, Pat can all play SF. So Montero would be the 6th SF.

4. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Yes I agree. But do you think Luis has any sort of a realistic chance of being a gem? Maybe I find a diamond tonight in the garbage but it's about a 10 trillion to one chance; not worth my time to look. I'd rather just keep the 15th roster spot open. Alexander has displayed encouraging signs for a last roster spot so I think he makes the team.

5. julius

singer songwriter
    if someone else comes up, sure waive him. but why keep another undersized PG over him?

6. riverman

riverman Writing Team

because they are teaching Montero to play pt guard this summer as well as CJ..we have combo guards in Henderson, Crabbe, etc and if we did pick up a traditional pt guard I hope it's a tall one who is a defender. CJ studied with Steve Nash for a reason..the front office said this summer they were going to work on pt skills for Montero and CJ..Montero is a project but if it works out..it's worth it

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

You can always get a 3rd string Luke Ridnour type vet to help younger guys out..Earl Watson did that, Blake to some extent..I'm not worried about that roster spot..I just don't want Cliff Alexander to get squeezed out. So far I'm not a huge Pat Connaughton fan.

8. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Ouch, Montero isn't even close to being an NBA player, let alone being able to run the point. Why do you guys keep bringing up Montero at the point? That will not happen.

BigGameDamian and Draco like this.
  9. julius

singer songwriter
    I wonder if someone will bump this thread in a few years like ones made about Meyers a few years ago.

10. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Montero has looked like he's in waaaay over his head with this whole NBA thing. He needs to gain another 40lbs.

11. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I see a young, raw Leandro Barbosa type in Montero. He's a true project but that's what all those guys are. Don't work out they'll just go to the D league anyway

12. Sinobas

Sinobas Banned User BANNED

Really? In what game? All I saw was a guy dribble the ball off his leg.

MickZagger likes this.
  13. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    Delusions..

14. adrenalize74

adrenalize74 I cant hear you over the sound of how awesome I am

Kinda like Durant is too skinny and needs to gain weight........

15. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

Shaun Livingston says hello.

16. BlayZa

BlayZa Misbehaving responsibly

Media/Advertisng
    zero chance to be on a team loved by zeroes....

its a match made in heaven - he aint going nowhere! thanks for bringing my new favorite player to my attention tho!

ZEROES UNITE!

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  17. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    In before some knee jerk posts: "YOU DIDN'T SERIOUSLY JUST COMPARE MONTERO TO KEVIN DURANT??!!!11!!!1!"

18. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/luis-montero

NBA Comparison: Qyntel Woods/Ricky Ledo

Strengths: Big guard with great versatility to play 3 positions ... Has logged time at point guard ... Explosive, smooth and creative player ... A good ball handler ... Can use a cross over at a high rate of high speed ... A good passer with court vision, always looking for the open man ... Smooth. Runs the court very well, excellent in fast break situations, often finishing with dunks ... Has a great ability to attack the rim with an arsenal of moves ... Can use the Euro step, change directions, fakes, finger rolls, floaters ... A good shooter from 2 and 3 points, with deep range and good mechanics on his shot ... The kind of player capable of creating baskets for himself and for his teammates ... Can drive to the basket and open the court and dish for shots for his teammates, or find the bigman under the rim ... Good shot blocker, with good timing , very smart playing the passing lanes, anticipates well and also in running the fast break ... Great length, with a wingspan of 7-foot-1, and a standing reach of 8-foot-8 ... Came into the draft proces weighing 181, and has added 14 pounds of muscle (195 lbs now) showing excellent dedication ...

Weaknesses: Lack of experience playing at a high level combined with his age (22) ... Needs to work a lot on his body strength, must continue to put a lot of muscle in order to handle contact at the NBA level ... His shot selection needs to improve ... He is an elite level player but hasn't learned how to play against elite level competition ... His body strength will be a problem in 1 on 1 defense, he can’t handle standard SFs at this point, and needs to learn to be more active on rebounds ...

Notes: Had his season with his Juco team cancelled in 2014-15 ...Considered a possible mid second rounder. Has worked out with a number of NBA teams and even received some late first round buzz ... Signed with Westchester Community College, after originally being classified as a Class of 2015 HS prospect ...

19. julius

singer songwriter
    um, why are you posting something that was posted when they first signed him months ago?

20. Harry's Raincoat

Harry's Raincoat Member

We're in a rebuild. We don't need any protection for our starters to avoid a catastrophic playoff miss.
    Keep Montero! He has potentially Magic Johnson-like vision and athleticism. He could be really a steal!! But...he needs a few years.

Phil Pressey and Tim Frazier don't take us to ANY better level as a team....EVER!! Just keep one for mop-up PG duty.

blue9, BBert and 42N8Bounce like this.