Cutler Traded to the Bears [merged]

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Mamba, Apr 2, 2009.

1. NattaNerNuttaMan

NattaNerNuttaMan NattaNerNutta like Spike

Military
    Being a big Vikings fan...I can say this really sucks. But on the flipside, if Cutler proves to be good enough to lead Chicago to the Division title over the Vikes....how stupid will it make Childress look sinc he's the one that wants to bank on Rosenfels and TJ?!? I hope Cutler does good enough to get Childress fired....man, I hope so...:devilwink:

2. JE

JE Suspended

in between jobs right now
    Kind of a strange quote from Urlacher.

3. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Urlacher's kind of a dick in between every season, though. That linebacking core always seem to make a big fuss about something every offseason.

I give major props to the Broncos for this trade though. I'm sure they were gauging the trade market while simultaneously trying to placate Cutler and at some point decided to cut their losses and try to maximize the market before it worsened (after the draft). That was clearly the right decision, because this is an excellent mix of first day draft picks and a QB that can serve as a decent enough filler while they find that next one to build around. They played the numerous teams desperate for a franchise QB against each other and came out with one of the best "trading a star" scenarios in recent years.

Despite overpaying for Cutler, I think this trade makes the Bears a pretty intriguing team and that whole division more interesting. The Packers vs. the Bears should be awesome matchups, with two great young QB's going up against one another.

4. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Broncs made out pretty damn well. I'd say McDaniels actually made out pretty well here considering he didn't seem to even want Cutler. Hes a pro-bowl QB, which is great for Chicago. Hes also a gun slinger though and I don't think that's what McDaniels wants as his QB. Now hes got draft picks to get a guy he likes and mold him. Plus he'll get a bunch of other quality draft picks. It probably hurts them in the short term but they could make out really well in the long term.

The Bears, conversely make out really well in the short term but their long term success is suspect. They gave a lot for Cutler but it could make them a contender. If it doesn't though it'll look really bad. Like someone else mentioned, how is Cutler going to like Lovie Ball where he won't get to pass the whole damn game?

5. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

Re: Cutler Traded to the Bears

two 1sts and a 3rd is a ton to give up just to get cutler. and cutler isn't even a huge upgrade over orton. no doubt he's an upgrade but not enough to justify the price.

6. MikeDC

MikeDC Member

Professor
    If they continue to play that way after bringing in a guy who just made the pro bowl for two first rounders, I'm going to personally fire Lovie Smith.

7. JE

JE Suspended

in between jobs right now
    I don't know if they're going to play that exact same way, but I can't see the Bears turning into an air-it-out type team or anything close, even with Cutler.

8. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I actually think the Bears will struggle more in the short-term. Cutler is a very good QB, but the other positions are no longer as solid as they were a few years back. The defense is aging, the O-line is mediocre, and the WR`s are non-existent. They`ll be a mediocre team for the next few years IMO, because they won`t be able to address those needs in the most obvious ways (through first day draft picks). That said, Cutler`s going to be with this team for much longer than 3-4 seasons. They`ve got a young franchise QB, and considering their history at the position, I see them hanging onto him for a while. So after weathering the next couple years, they`ll be able to build a strong team around a great QB.

They can swing this trade completely in their favour with good drafting in the later rounds. But I just haven`t been impressed with their scouting the last couple years.