D.C. United

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EPJr, Jan 14, 2011.

1. agoo

agoo Member

Re: DCU

Your DC United fandom knows no bounds.

2. Colonel Ronan

Colonel Ronan Continue...?

Control Center analyst
  3. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

Red Bulls deal De Rosario to DC for McCarty in stunner
    [​IMG]
    Conference rivals exchange midfielders in surprise trade

NEW YORK — The New York Red Bulls abruptly parted ways with veteran Dwayne De Rosario on Monday, dealing the five-time MLS Best XI selection to rivals D.C. United for midfielder Dax McCarty.

De Rosario was traded to New York from Toronto FC on April 1 to fill the Red Bulls’ missing playmaker role, but he failed to mirror the offensive numbers he’d amassed in years past for Houston and Toronto FC.

Although not necessarily relied upon for the same offensive output as in years past — Red Bulls striker Thierry Henry is tied for the league lead with eight goals and Luke Rodgers has five this season — De Rosario has struggled to make an impression on a team where he’s not the main attacking option.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/06/27/red-bulls-deal-de-rosario-dc-mccarty

4. EPJr

De Rosario welcomes pressure, ready to step in for DC
    [​IMG]
    Canadian gets to work at United, will likely make immediate debut

WASHINGTON — D.C. United wasted little time figuring out how to best incorporate new addition Dwayne De Rosario during his first training session with his new team Thursday morning.

The five-time All Star took part in a practice that included a full-field scrimmage, playing in midfielder between Clyde Simms and the forward pairing of Charlie Davies and Josh Wolff.

There’s every reason to believe the midfielder will play a role against Philadelphia on Saturday night (7 pm, Fox Soccer).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/06/30/de-rosario-welcomes-pressure-ready-step-dc

5. EPJr

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  6. EPJr

Da Luz sees golden opportunity in trade to DC United
    [​IMG]
    Second-year midfielder says he never found his place in New York

The last few days have been a whirlwind for new D.C. United midfielder Austin da Luz. Shortly after riding the bench in New York’s 0-0 draw against Chivas USA on Saturday night, the second-year man learned he was getting traded to DC in exchange for an international roster slot.

“My first thought after I learned about the trade [was that] hopefully I’d be getting a greater opportunity to get some playing time,” he told MLSsoccer.com on Monday. “I think this trade is going to be a positive thing for me.”

His arrival in DC will provide much needed depth for a United side lacking healthy outside midfielders. Concussion problems have kept Santino Quaranta and Brandon Barklage sidelined, Branko Boskovic is out for the long term with his ACL tear and Fred is set to return to Australia at the end of this week.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/07/18/da-luz-sees-golden-opportunity-trade-dc-united

7. EPJr

DC's De Rosario named MLS Player of the Month
    [​IMG]
    Veteran scores three, assists two for Black-and-Red in August

NEW YORK — After collecting two MLS Player of the Week awards last month, it was perhaps no surprise that Dwayne De Rosario was voted the league's best MLS player for August.

The D.C. United attacker was named MLS Player of the Month by the North American Soccer Reporters on Thursday. It's the second time in his career he's won the award after first earning the nod in October of 2005.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/09/01/dcs-de-rosario-named-mls-player-month

8. EPJr

Player of the week
    [​IMG]
    Charlie Davies named MLS Player of the Week
    North American Soccer Reporters recognize striker for hat trick performance against Chivas

D.C. United announced today that forward Charlie Davies has been named MLS Player of the Week for Week 26 by the North American Soccer Reporters. Davies scored all three of United’s goals during Saturday’s 3-0 victory against Chivas USA.

http://www.dcunited.com/press-release/2011/09/charlie-davies-named-mls-player-of-the-week

9. EPJr

Recap: Chivas rally behind Ángel for 2-2 tie at DC United
    [​IMG]
    Veteran hits twice, Kennedy stops late DeRo PK to preserve draw

WASHINGTON — Juan Pablo Ángel’s second-half brace rallied Chivas USA from two-goal hole as they drew 2-2 in the nation’s capital against D.C. United on Wednesday night.

Eleven days after the two teams last played — a 3-0 win for United — Chivas mustered a much strong effort, overcoming set piece goals from Dwayne De Rosario and Ethan White, and a late penalty miss by De Rosario, to come away with a point.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/09/21/recap-chivas-rally-behind-ángel-2-2-tie-dc-united

10. EPJr

11. EPJr

Talking Tactics: Tracing the evolution of De Rosario's game
    [​IMG]
    Canadian's talent has never changed
    but his offensive role has

Dwayne De Rosario has always done his part. Despite periodic dips in form here and there over 11 remarkable seasons, his talent has never waned.

A coach's job, then, is always to get the best from DeRo, to carefully arrange things for success. This is all tactically topical, of course, because of De Rosario’s extraordinary week, culminating in his three-goal, one-assist assault on helpless Real Salt Lake this past Saturday.

The habitual question with De Rosario is always about his optimum tactical deployment: Is he a forward, or better when stationed further back, picking up balls earlier, assisting with possession and running at defenders at higher speeds?

It’s really no different than long-standing conversations about Landon Donovan, and the debate traces back as far

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/09/27/talking-tactics-tracing-evolution-de-rosarios-game

12. EPJr

Youth is served as DC United push for the playoffs
    Young back line under the microscope down the stretch
    [​IMG]

WASHINGTON – A reliance on a young defense for much of 2011 has led to some of the ups and downs this season for D.C. United, but the fun has seemingly only begun.

The microscope is about to focus even tighter on the likes of Perry Kitchen, Ethan White and Chris Korb as United look to complete their push for the playoffs, and now even the most minute of errors could cost the club their shot.

But from a young head coach to a very young back line, there’s plenty of faith they can get the job done.

“When you’re in this, and you’re in a race, it becomes much more dramatic,” head coach Ben Olsen said. “And I still think overall looking back at the season, I’m very happy with how they’ve done, and I think they’ve got some valuable experience.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/05/youth-served-dc-push-playoffs

13. EPJr

D.C. United left stunned by stoppage time collapse vs. Fire
    DC coaches and players fail to come up with an explanation for crushing loss

[​IMG]

WASHINGTON – In the span of five minutes, a sense of relief was quickly replaced by utter dejection for D.C. United.

In need of three points to keep their flickering playoff hopes alive, D.C. took a 1-0 lead in the 90th minute over the Chicago Fire, and just stoppage time separated them from a massive win in the chase for the postseason.

But as has happened so often this year, their lead was not secure even for a few stoppage time minutes. Two quick-fire strikes from the Chicago Fire left D.C. United reeling for their fourth straight loss. D.C. now has to win their final two matches and hope for help to secure a wild card berth.

“I’m gutted, absolutely,” a subdued Ben Olsen said after the game. “It’s one of the toughest losses I’ve ever taken.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...d-left-stunned-stoppage-time-collapse-vs-fire

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  14. EPJr

De Rosario: Missing playoffs again "tough to swallow"
    Four-time MLS Cup winner misses out on postseason for third year in a row

[​IMG]

WASHINGTON — For most of the second half, it was quite clear that D.C. United midfielder Dwayne De Rosario wasn’t operating at 100 percent. With pain in his right shin, he labored through the final 45 but still managed to score in D.C.’s 1-1 draw with Portland.

“I’ve actually been kicked in the same spot about three games in a row now, and at halftime I didn’t think I would be able to make it,” he said after the game. “Sometimes you just have to suck it up and play for your team and that’s what I tried to do.”

But it wasn’t enough. The result eliminated United from playoff contention, and De Rosario took that consequence personally.

“Another year for me that I’m not going to make the playoffs,” he said. “It’s tough to swallow, to be honest.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/20/dcs-de-rosario-missing-playoffs-again-tough-swallow

15. EPJr

DCU want to extend De Rosario's contract
    United mull ways to extend DeRo's deal, exploring Davies options

[​IMG]

WASHINGTON – While one game remains in D.C. United's 2011 campaign, big decisions lay ahead for the franchise's looming offseason.

The future of midfielder Dwayne De Rosario and forward Charlie Davies are two of the biggest decisions confronting D.C.'s front office. De Rosario has one year left – a club-held option – on his current contract, although United plan on trying to offer him a longer deal.

"We'll sit down in the coming weeks with Dwayne and his representative and our goal is to negotiate an extension," general manager Dave Kasper told reporters at training on Friday.

Since joining D.C. at the end of June, De Rosario has scored 13 goals and added seven assists. The Canadian international remains focused on Saturday's final game against Sporting Kansas City, but admitted to the importance of securing something more permanent.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/21/dc-want-extend-de-rosarios-contract

16. EPJr

United's De Rosario wins first Golden Boot of his career
    DC star's 16 goals tie Wondo, but 12 assists clinch Golden Boot

[​IMG]

Dwayne De Rosario can breathe easy now. For the first time in his glittering 11-year career, the Golden Boot is his

The veteran attacker, who entered the weekend on top of the scoring charts, did not get on the scoresheet in D.C. United’s 1-0 loss to Sporting Kansas City on Saturday, and so he was forced to wait to see if his total of 16 goals would stand.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-de-rosario-wins-first-golden-boot-his-career

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  17. EPJr

DC United's De Rosario in the hunt for triple crown
    Golden Boot winner guns for MLS MVP, Canadian scoring title

[​IMG]

To say D.C. United’s Dwayne De Rosario has had a big year would is like saying the Arctic gets chilly in the winter.

The 33-year-old perennial All Star recorded 16 goals and 12 assists this season, good enough to claim the MLS Golden Boot award as top scorer. Despite his illustrious career, this year marks the first time he has earned the award.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/10/28/dc-uniteds-de-rosario-hunt-triple-crown

18. EPJr

D.C. United Returns To Charleston
    Will try to win third consecutive Challenge Cup

[​IMG]

Charleston Battery News Release -- www.charlestonbattery.com

Thursday, November 3, 2011

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Major League Soccer’s D.C. United will return to defend its Carolina Challenge Cup title in 2012. D.C. United claimed the 2011 tournament title with wins against the Chicago Fire, the Charleston Battery and a tie versus Toronto F.C. The 2012 Carolina Challenge Cup will be hosted by the Charleston Battery from Feb. 25 – March 3, 2012 and feature the Battery, D.C. United plus two additional teams from Major League Soccer.

The Carolina Challenge Cup is the premier preseason tournament in the United States. Each year the Battery is joined by three teams from Major League Soccer for the round-robin competition. Beginning in 2011 the tournament also featured a youth element as the MLS teams brought their USSF Academy sides to Charleston for a parallel USSF Academy tournament.

19. EPJr

[​IMG]

Ben Olsen Q&A - Part I
    In part I of his season review, United's Head Coach talks progress, DeRo and Boskovic

In part I of our 2011 season review with United Head Coach Ben Olsen, the Black-and-Red boss discusses his thoughts on the team's overall progress, Dwayne De Rosario, the importance of Branko Boskovic and the evolution of Charlie Davies.

http://www.dcunited.com/news/2011/11/ben-olsen-qa

Ben Olsen Q&A Part II
    In the second installment of his season review, United's Head Coach outlines 2012 plans

Following part I of Ben Olsen's 2011 review, the United boss turns his attention to the Black-and-Red's ambitions for 2012. In this portion of the interview, Olsen highlights the value of Perry Kitchen, offseason player aquisitions and lessons learned from his first full season in charge.

http://www.dcunited.com/news/2011/11/ben-olsen-qa-part-ii

20. EPJr

Garber increasingly concerned over DC United's future
    [​IMG]
    Improved lease at RFK is first goal, new venue may be eventuality

NEW YORK – Commissioner Don Garber reiterated his concerns about D.C. United’s future on Thursday, when looking ahead to the 2012 MLS season.

In his 2011 State of the League teleconference, Garber confirmed the real possibility of relocating the franchise from their expensive home at RFK Stadium.

“If they can’t get a new improved lease in D.C., they’ve got to move to another facility in the region,” Garber said. “I will be supportive of that and help them do that. If they can’t find a solution in Baltimore, then we’ll have to go through the same process as we did with San Jose to think about potentially moving the team.”

The Commissioner pointed to the franchise being one of the most decorated in the league’s history – four MLS Cups, four Supporters' Shields and two US Open Cups support this notion – and he feels United should be getting more support from local government when it comes to building a new stadium.

“I remain concerned and I’m continually frustrated,” Garber said. “This team has been an important asset for the community. It has delivered on everything that a pro sports team should be focused on. They‘ve been successful for the most part on the field and they’ve been engaged in the community.”

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...increasingly-concerned-over-dc-uniteds-future

Last edited: May 2, 2012