Da Chicago Fire

Discussion in 'Americas' started by EPJr, Jan 19, 2011.

1. EPJr

EPJr Producer Staff Member Producer

2. EPJr

Recap: MacDonald brace the difference as Chicago down NY
    [​IMG]

HARRISON, N.J. – The Chicago Fire may have suffered an upset loss earlier in the week, but they responded in a big way on Saturday.

The Fire handed New York their second loss of the season at Red Bull Arena in a pivotal Eastern Conference clash on Saturday afternoon, with Sherjill MacDonald scoring a brace in a 2-0 Chicago victory. The win snapped a two-game losing streak for Chicago that included a defeat to the Philadelphia Union on Wednesday and put them one step closer to reaching the postseason.

For New York, the loss saw them drop the season series to Chicago and it put a dent in their hopes of reaching the postseason. The Red Bulls are now fourth in the tight Eastern Conference as DC United topped Toronto FC earlier in the day.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2012-10-06-ny-v-chi/recap

3. speeds

speeds $2.50 highball, $1.50 beer Staff Member Administrator GFX Team

Good win. Not the first time I've seen Henry coasting this season.

4. EPJr

Challenge Cup Schedule Announced
    [​IMG]
    Tickets on sale Dec. 3 as Battery host Fire, Dynamo, Whitecaps

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Tickets for the 2013 Carolina Challenge Cup will go on sale at 10 a.m. on Monday, December 3 with single day tickets (includes two games each day) starting at just $15 with discounts available for groups of ten or more. Series tickets that include tickets for all three match days (includes six games) are also available. 2013 Charleston Battery season ticket holders receive complimentary tickets to the games.

The tournament schedule for the 2013 Carolina Challenge Cup has been set with Major League Soccer’s Chicago Fire opening the tournament with a match versus MLS Cup finalist Houston Dynamo on Saturday, February 16 at Blackbaud Stadium, Daniel Island, SC (5 p.m.). The Battery will play its first match of the week long round-robin tournament that same evening with a 7:15 p.m. kick off versus Major League Soccer’s Vancouver Whitecaps FC.

On Wednesday, February 20 Houston will face off with Whitecaps FC at 5 p.m. followed by the Battery versus the Fire at 7:15 p.m.

The Carolina Challenge Cup concludes on Saturday, February 23 with the Fire taking on Vancouver at 5 p.m. and the Battery taking on the Houston Dynamo in the tournament finale at 7:15 p.m.

Charleston Battery News Release -- www.charlestonbattery.com

5. EPJr

6. EPJr

A Free Man
    Former Crew midfielder reveals he's gay, leaving soccer
    [​IMG]
    Klopas: Fire still want Rogers

In a revealing and personal blog post written in the early hours of the morning in London on Friday, former Columbus Crew midfielder Robbie Rogers announced that he’s gay and that he’s stepping away from professional soccer.

The 25 year-old Rogers, who played for the Crew from 2007-11 before unsuccessfully trying his hand with English sides Leeds United and Stevenage, writes that he “could not be happier” with his decision, and that now he is a “free man” with a new lease on life.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/02/15/former-crew-mf-rogers-says-hes-gay-leaving-soccer

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Earlier Friday, midfielder Robbie Rogers announced on his website that he was stepping away from the game of soccer, beginning a new chapter of his life after announcing that he is gay.

Last month, the Chicago Fire acquired the 25-year-old midfielder’s MLS rights as part of the trade from Columbus which brought midfielder Dilly Duka to the Men in Red.

Since the trade, Fire head coach Frank Klopas said he had reached out to Rogers to discuss what his plans were but the two didn’t connect.

Reached for comment Friday, Klopas said his opinion of the former U.S. international hadn’t changed.

“Yesterday I thought he was a very good player and I still think that today. Should Robbie want to return to the game, we would still be open to him being part of the Fire.”

http://www.chicago-fire.com/news/2013/02/klopas-rogers-we-would-still-be-open-him-being-part-fire

7. EPJr

2013 Depth Chart: Chicago Fire

[​IMG]

8. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Fire Edged by New England Revolution 1-0 on Opening Night

The Chicago Fire (0-2-0, 0 points) fell to the New England Revolution (1-0-0, 3 points) 1-0 at Toyota Park Saturday evening. A 62nd minute goal from Revolution forward Jerry Bengtson was the difference as the Revolution won their first MLS Regular Season match at Toyota Park since July 8, 2006.

The Fire came out charged from the early going and nearly went ahead in the third minute. Steven Kinney worked his way up the right side before a quick combination with Chris Rolfe pushed the fourth-year defender into the box. Kinney quickly cut back for Sherjill MacDonald who pushed his first-time effort over the bar.

Two minutes later the Revolution responded with a chance of their own as Lee Nguyen found himself in space on the right before crossing for Jerry Bengtson. The Honduran international split between Austin Berry and Jalil Anibaba but pushed his header right at Sean Johnson.

In the 26th minute Joel Lindpere looped a ball for Rolfe up the right flank. The savvy forward worked his way to the end line before cutting back and chipping his effort just over the far post.

Rolfe would provide danger again just one minute later as he dribbled into the box on the right before losing the ball to Jose Julio Goncalves. Patrick Nyarko sneakily dispossessed the Revs defender and centered for MacDonald at the six yard box but the Dutch forward's first-time effort was too soft and was easily collected by Matt Reis.

The Fire would get their best chance of the half in the 31st minute as Rolfe intercepted a pass out of the back at midfield before laying off for Dilly Duka. The winger took the space inside before unleashing a right-footed rocket that Reis got a touch to sending the ball clanging off the crossbar.

Rolfe would cause trouble once more before the break, dispossessing Andrew Farrell just outside the box before sliding the ball for Lindpere. The Estonian international collected before hitting a low blast to force Reis into a bobbling save, taking the teams into the half deadlocked at 0-0.

In the 50th minute, second-half sub Maicon Santos lofted the ball over the top of the Revolution defense to Lindpere, who slid it through to an onrushing Duka, but it was just out of his reach and it was easily collected by Reis.

The visitors broke through and found the lone goal of the match in the 62nd minute. Kelyn Rowe lofted a cross into the Fire penalty box and found Jerry Bengston, and the Honduran international was able to head the ball just out of Johnson's reach.

With five minutes of stoppage time added to the match, the Fire continued to press for the equalizer. In the waning moments of the match, Lindpere won the ball and played it through to Santos on the left flank. Santos let loose a low drive but Reis was able dive onto the ball to preserve the score line.

The Fire return to action when they head to Sporting Park to take on Sporting Kansas City in a Rivalry Week clash on Saturday, March 15 at 2:00 p.m. CT live on NBC Sports Network and 107.9 La Ley. The Men in Red return home to Toyota Park when they take on Chivas USA on Saturday, March 24 live on My50 Chicago and 107.9 La Ley. Tickets for the match are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire or by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com.

9. truebluefan

Chicago Fire Earn Hard Fought 0-0 Draw against Sporting Kansas City

The Chicago Fire (0-2-1, 1 point) held Eastern Conference foes Sporting Kansas City (1-1-1; 4 points) to a 0-0 draw at Sporting Park Saturday afternoon. Fire goalkeeper Sean Johnson made three saves and the Fire defense held strong as the Fire earned its first point of the 2013 season.

The Fire took a few moments to get settled but got its first chance of the match in the ninth minute when Jeff Larentowicz and Patrick Nyarko played a quick combination on the right before the acting Fire captain swung in a cross that found Rolfe at the back post. Rolfe popped his header up for Sherjill MacDonald but Sporting 'keeper Jimmy Nielsen did well to come off his line and claim the ball.

The Men in Red would create another chance moments later when Daniel Paladini combined with Rolfe at the top of the area. Rolfe collected the ball before hitting a low, first-time drive just wide of Nielsen's goal.

Sporting would earn its first quality chance of the match in the 13th minute as a pinging ball fell just outside of the box for Sporting right back Jerome Mechack. The Haitian defender took the ball on the hop before unleashing a low blast that forced a save from Johnson.

The Fire again came close in the 33rd minute when Daniel Paladini's free kick from the right found the head of Jalil Anibaba at the back post. The third year defender connected with the ball and headed it just over Nielsen's goal.

Sporting responded with two consecutive chances. Graham Zusi whipped in a corner kick to Aurelian Collin but the Frenchman headed his effort over the crossbar. Two minutes later Zusi again proved dangerous, picking out Claudio Bieler at the near post but the Argentine pushed his driving header wide.

The Fire nearly caught Sporting at the end of the half as Rolfe ran onto the ball before seeing his shot blocked at the top of the area. Paladini pounced on the rebound and unleashed a long-range blast that forced Nielsen to make the save as the teams entered halftime deadlocked 0-0.

Both teams came out of the locker rooms with renewed intensity. Sporting would get the first chance of the half when Zusi played Seth Sinovic through in the box. Sinovic dribbled to the line and ripped a shot to the near post but Johnson made a point blank save and safely pushed the ball out for a corner kick.

Johnson was again called on in the 54th minute when Paolo Nagamura unleashed a shot from 35 yards out, however, the Fire 'keeper came of his line to parry it away.

The Fire continued to press and in the 72nd minute strung together a series of passes that found Maicon Santos at midfield. The Brazilian striker turned towards goal and found Rolfe but his pass was just a touch heavy.

With five minutes of stoppage time, both teams continued to press and the Fire would get one last chance in the waning moments as Alex saw his long-range shot veer wide of the goal as the game ended 0-0.

The Fire return to action when they welcome Chivas USA to Toyota Park on Sunday, March 24 at 4:00 p.m. CT live on My50/UniMas and 107.9 La Ley. Tickets for the match are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire or by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com.

Notes:

* The Fire are 23-11-10 all-time against Sporting Kansas City, and 8-8-8 in matches played on the road.

* This match marked Daniel Paladini's first start since Oct. 6, 2012 and Michael Videira's first start since Oct. 1, 2011.

* Sporting Kansas City attempted a total of 20 shots and Fire 'keeper Sean Johnson made 3 saves to record his 16th career shutout

* The Fire earned their first point and shutout of the 2013 season

* Arne Friedrich (hamstring), Logan Pause (quad) and Steven Kinney (hamstring) were kept out of the 18 due to injury.

* Jeff Larentowicz donned the armband for the third straight match in the stead of captain Logan Pause

10. truebluefan

Chicago Fire Defeat New York Red Bulls 3-1

The Chicago Fire (1-3-1; 4 points) defeated Eastern Conference foes New York Red Bulls (1-2-2; 5 points) 3-1 Sunday afternoon at Toyota Park. The Red Bulls found an early, 17th minute goal from Jamison Olave but the Fire were propelled by a Daniel Paladini equalizer and Maicon Santos brace for their first victory of the 2013 season.

The visitors opened scoring in the 17th minute when Juninho's corner kick found Tim Cahill at the far post. The Australian headed the ball across the goal to Jamison Olave. With his back towards goal, the Colombian defender volleyed the into the side netting to put Red Bull ahead 1-0.

The Fire looked to catch a break in the 24th minute when Jonny Steele was called for handball in the penalty box after Jeff Larentowicz's long-range effort knocked the Northern Irishman's hand. Rolfe lined up the ensuing penalty kick but pushed his effort went wide left of goal.

The Fire found the equalizer minutes before halftime. Hunter Jumper pounced on a weak Red Bulls clearance on the left flank and swung a cross into the six-yard-box. Paladini shook his defender and got on the end of the cross, snapping his header down ahead of Red Bull 'keeper Luis Robles for the 44th minute equalizer.

In the 69th minute, second half substitute Thierry Henry carried the ball to the top of the arc and unleashed a left-footed blast from that rattled the post. Peguy Luyindula was unable to connect with the rebound and the Fire defense cleared the ball out to safety.

The Fire found the game-winner in the 83rd minute. Paladini won the ball in the center circle and played Maicon Santos into the box on the left. The crafty Brazilian received the ball, cut it back losing his defender, and coolly side-footed under Robles into the goal.

Santos completed his brace in the 89th minute. Paladini took the Fire free kick 40 yards from goal and found Larentowicz at the far post. The midfielder headed it across the face of goal to Santos, who tapped it for a final score of 3-1.

The Fire next face two-time MLS Cup finalist Houston Dynamo at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston, Texas on Sunday, April 14 at 4:00 p.m. CT (UniMas/107.9 La Ley). The Fire return to Toyota Park when they host the Columbus Crew on Saturday, April 20 at 7:30 p.m. CT. Tickets for the match are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire or by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com.

Notes:

* The Fire are 23-12-9 all-time against the New York Red Bulls, and 13-3-6 in matches played on at home. * Sunday marked the 100th career MLS Regular Season appearance for the Fire's Estonian midfielder Joel Lindpere and the 150th MLS Regular Season appearance for Fire forward Chris Rolfe.

* Fire captain Logan Pause made his first appearance of the 2013 season. Pause missed the first three matches of the year with a quadriceps injury and was an unused sub in the team's 4-1 defeat to Chivas on March 24.

* Hunter Jumper made the first start of his professional career and assisted on Paladini's 44th minute equalizer.

* Santos' goal in the 83rd minute was the 700th MLS Regular Season goal for the Fire. His 89th minute strike marked the fourth multi-goal game of his MLS career.

* Corben Bone made his first appearance of the 2013 season when he entered the match in the 87th minute for Chris Rolfe

Quotes: Frank Klopas, Chicago Fire Head Coach

On getting the first win of the season

"It was important for us obviously and also for the team. For me, more than anything, I never lost belief in the group and neither did our team. The important thing is that we kept working hard. The group is united. There is a belief. It was important not only to play well but to get the win. I give my team a lot of credit. We have a long way to go, but the effort, the attitude, the work goes in every day. I feel great about the team and their effort today. We played good soccer. Again, giving up an early goal and missing some chances was disappointing. Second half we continued to play well and defended well. It was a great win."

On the play of Daniel Paladini

"I would say we had good days from the whole team. I felt Danny [Paladini] and Joel [Lindpere] had good games. But more than anything, the whole group was great, the attitude was good. It's been like that from the beginning. The start was disappointing but we know it's a long season. The things we have to focus on are what we can control, our attitude or work that we put in every day and we did. Danny has been a guy with quality. When we have called on him to step in, he has done it. He's a guy that is pushing because he needs to be on the field and play. You want guys like that whether they are on or off the field, when they get a chance to contribute they do. That's the depth we are trying to create in the team. He had a very good game today."

On the win relieving pressure on the team

"No, I just feel good about the team. Myself, when you are a professional coach you know the situation you are stepping into. For me being with this group every day, we know the quality in this group and what we had shown so far. We feel good because when you win, a lot of things are solved and the pressure is gone. Sometimes you try too hard and I could see with the guys, they really cared. I think sometimes keeping it simple is the most important thing. For me, this organization has been fantastic to me, from the owner to the fans. When I leave, I think what more can I do, because we have a great group and I care a lot of this organization. It feels great but we have a long way to go, this is a stepping stone. We got to take the next step now. This week hopefully we can get everyone healthy and have more competition for the Houston game to see who is going to step on the field. It was great and important, but we have to be on an even keel. When things weren't going our way, nothing changed. I know there was a lot of panic by a lot of people but with us it's even keel. We won one game, now it gives us more energy to work harder. I'm happy about this group. They put a lot into it and they do every day. I feel great. I have a belief in these guys. I think it's one stepping stone and we have the quality to be playing well in every game and put ourselves in a position to win."

On Logan Pause's return and the possibility of Arne Friedrich returning to the pitch

"When guys like that are out it hurts. With Logan, not even having him around, a guy that has been here from the beginning, he knows what an honor it is to put on that Fire jersey and he doesn't take that for granted. You miss his leadership and his ability to communicate. You can just see today my voice is a lot better than it was in previous games because he does a lot of that. Even with Arne and other veteran players we brought in, they got to find their way with the team. It was great to have him back. I think our block in the midfield defended well. There was a moment when we lost our way after a New York substitution, but everyone made it very hard for them to penetrate. I think everything starts from there because we wanted to keep it simple and just little steps. Arne has been training. I think he looks really good unless there are setbacks. With Houston, we will take it a day at a time. [Arne] trained today even with the guys who didn't suit up him, Dilly and Patrick. I'm hoping Tuesday he will be full go with the team."

On Maicon Santos' brace

"I think he always has been considered with our starters. The first game Maicon started over MacDonald. You guys saw that, a lot has to do with games and with what you don't see with the training every day. A lot of the guys that come, they see the competition every day. We take the games and the work that goes in all week, the preparation and the form the guys are in. I had no issue putting in Maicon in the first game. We are trying to build a competitive team and everybody knows that the goals would have meant nothing if we didn't win. I think that is the type of team character that we have. We have that kind of mentality and that's what makes me happy. I feel happy for the team with the win, and sometimes things can be cruel, but things change. It's not always going to be going the wrong way. You just have to focus on the little things and things we can control. I think this group has and is going to continue to do so all the way to the end."

Daniel Paladini, Chicago Fire midfielder

On the result

"We came in with a game plan not to give a goal up, it happened, but I think that we matured as a team today. It was probably the most fun I've had in a long time. It was a great team effort and everyone played well. We've been putting in the effort at practice, it hasn't shown in games but this game went our way. It was a team effort and every one of us played well. We all believe in ourselves and the coaches believe in us. We had a team meeting this week, it was a positive meeting and things have changed for the better. We have a good team here, we might not have the New York superstars, but we have a good, solid team. "

On coming back after the missed PK

"When he [Rolfe] missed the penalty kick, it seemed like that's our season right now. Leading up to that we were dominating, we got that penalty and we thought that it was our opportunity to get back in the game, but fortunately got a goal before halftime and that was a relief. "

On his goal

"I told Hunter [Jumper] that he played a perfect ball, but the only reason I made the run was because the wind caught it and I knew that I was going to get there before the goalie."

Sean Johnson, Chicago Fire Goalkeeper

On the result

"Most importantly, getting a victory is what we set out to do. We came out fighting hard, battling and just doing whatever it took today is what everyone was focused on. To do it in the fashion we did shows that things are coming together both offensively and defensively. It was a great team effort and we did a fantastic job coming out to get three points, which is what we set out to do."

On the missed penalty kick

"In those moments you count on your team to have your back, and everyone had his back. Situations happen in a game that are beyond your control - a goal is scored, a PK is missed, but we stayed focused throughout the 90 minutes and everyone stayed committed to getting the three points and getting the job done. I give a lot of credit to the team for their never say die attitude, that's how we've always been and I think it shows our character. I'm very happy for Maicon [Santos] and Danny [Paladini] for getting some goals, hopefully we can use this going forward to build some momentum to carry on and have a good season."

Hunter Jumper, Chicago Fire Defender

On his assist

"I wanted to whip it in a little bit harder, but I'll take it because I think the wind held it a bit which confused the goalie. Maybe he could have been able to punch it away if it wasn't for the wind. Danny [Paladini] read it perfectly and was able to head it in."

On his start

"It's great to get the start and play with the guys. It's an incredible locker room, everyone makes you feel comfortable, and on the field everyone makes me feel confident so it was an easy transition especially offensively. "

Logan Pause, Chicago Fire Midfielder and Captain

On the result

"It feels really good to be back, but more than anything getting our first win of the year and getting that monkey off our back feels even better. This was a fantastic team effort to get three points against a conference rival at home."

On Paladini's performance

"I think he's a fantastic player; I've said that and I've believed that since he walked in the door. I'm so happy for him that his hard work and determination is really paying off. It's been a tough couple of years trying to get into the lineup and I think he's playing the best soccer of his career right now and producing. "

Maicon Santos, Chicago Fire Forward

On getting the much-needed win

"It's not good for me, it's good for the whole team. It's nice to get three points at home."

On the win taking the pressure off

"We didn't have that much pressure. We just knew we were going to get there. That's why we've been working every day."

On needing a few minutes to pick up a rhythm

"Everyone knows when you enter into the second half- you have to deal with people who are [already] warm. It's kind of hard to come into the second half and compete against people who are warm. It's normal. "

On his second goal

"Yeah, we have practiced that every morning, every day. Sending in crosses from far post and finding people to send it to goal."

11. truebluefan

Chicago Fire Drop Hard-Fought 2-1 Match to Houston Dynamo

The Chicago Fire (1-4-1, 4 points) fell 2-1 to the Houston Dynamo (4-2-0, 12 points) at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston, Texas Sunday afternoon. Fire forward Chris Rolfe equalized in the 29th minute just three minutes after the Dynamo's Will Bruin opened scoring, but the Fire were unable to find a second comeback after an 81st minute Brad Davis strike gave the hosts the lead.

Both teams traded chances throughout the first half. In the 13th minute, the Dynamo won a free kick at the top of the arc. Davis sent in his patented left-footed strike that curled around the wall and looked destined for the back of the net, but Fire 'keeper Sean Johnson dove to his right and was able to push the ball away with one hand.

The hosts got on the board first in the 26th minute when Davis drove in a cross to the top of the six-yard box to Bruin, who powered his header down and into the back of the net to give the Dynamo the 1-0 lead.

Just minutes later, Rolfe scored his first goal of the season with the 29th minute equalizer. Deep in the Dynamo half, Gonzalo Segares sent a throw-in to Sherjill MacDonald inside the penalty area. With his back towards goal, the Dutchman held off his defender, brought the ball down and centered it to Daniel Paladini at the penalty spot. Paladini took a touch and played it into the path of an onrushing Rolfe, and the Fire forward sent his right-footed blast past Dynamo 'keeper Tally Hall and into the back of the net. In the 63rd minute Dynamo midfielder Andrew Driver shook his defender and went racing unopposed towards goal but Johnson quickly got down to block the shot.

The hosts broke the deadlock in the 81st minute. Kofi Sarkodie received the ball on the right flank and centered his pass to Davis. The Dynamo captain whipped in a cross from 25 yards out that went into the goal untouched.

Again looking for the equalizer, the Fire continued to press and got their best chance in the 84th minute. Joel Lindpere drove in a corner kick and found Jeff Larentowicz on the edge of the six-yard box but his header banged off the crossbar.

The Men in Red return to action when they welcome the Columbus Crew to Toyota Park on Saturday, April 20 at 6:30 p.m. CT. Tickets for the match are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire or by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com.

Notes:

- The Fire are 4-7-5 all-time against the Houston Dynamo and 2-4-2 in matches played on the road

- Chris Rolfe's goal in the 29th minute was his first of the 2013 season and his 45th all-time regular season goal scored for the Men in Red.

- Midfielder Dilly Duka entered the match in the 85th minute for his first appearance since the March 16 match against Sporting Kansas City. Duka missed two matches due to hamstring tightness.

- Midfielder Patrick Nyarko (hamstring) and defender Gonzalo Segares (quadriceps) returned to action after missing the April 7 match with respective injuries.

- Fire Head Coach Frank Klopas utilized his sixth different starting lineup as the Fire roster works toward full health.

Quotes:

Frank Klopas, Chicago Fire Head Coach

Thoughts on the match

"I felt that we deserved better, but the little things towards the end obviously hurt us. I think that we should have walked away with at least a point, but what are you going to do."

On trying to break Houston's unbeaten streak

"We just wanted to come and play well, stay compact, but you don't think about that. Maybe there is more pressure on them to come out and get the record. Dealing with the temperature was the one thing we wanted to focus on. We wanted to be better in possession and not make a really high tempo game because that would affect us."

"I thought we did well in the first half. The second half they had a little more of the game, but still we had some good quality chances, the one with Maicon [Santos] and out of nothing we give up a set piece for the second goal. It is what it is, we just have to regroup and get ready for the next game."

On not being able to force Houston out of their game plan

"Yeah, that's the game. You come out here and play with them and you have to defend crosses in the box, you have to make sure you get tight on the wide players. We know that they play that way and I think there are moments on the game where momentum shifts and when you get the ball you just have to take care of it better."

"I just think when you give up two goals it is difficult. We did create some chances and if we score the second goal it changes things, so that is why I kind of felt that we had a good opportunity to walk away with points. With the game winding down walking away with a point, you feel good on the road."

Sean Johnson, Chicago Fire Goalkeeper

Thoughts on the second goal

"Obviously, Brad Davis has a good service. You just have to limit the times he gets the ball. He was able to put the ball into good spots and they were able to capitalize."

On talking often with his defenders

"I actually thought [the Dynamo] got more crosses off the right side, they were high up, they were dangerous. On the left side we weren't really troubled. Brad Davis is the one you have to key in on. I don't think anybody else on the team was very dangerous coming in. Yeah, they got a couple shots off, but nothing too dangerous. You have to give credit to Houston, they came out and executed their game plan on a day where I thought we weren't bad, but there are certain things in certain areas of the field where you have to be a little smarter. We will get back and work on it as a team. I think we will get better and going forward we will be okay. We just have to fix some things and get ready for Columbus next weekend."

12. truebluefan

Fire burn Crew

Columbus Crew goalkeeper Andy Gruenebaum was equal to chance after chance as the Fire pummeled him with shots early in the second half of Saturday's contest.

But Jeff Larentowicz finally beat Gruenebaum in the 83rd minute, when he headed home a flick-on from Austin Berry to give the Chicago Fire a 1-0 win at Toyota Park.

The win was the Fire's second in three games after going winless in their first five, improving to 2-4-1 overall. Columbus almost snuck out of Chicago with their fourth tie of the season, but the Crew couldn't hang on and dropped to 2-2-3.

OPTA Chalkboard: Gruenebaum keeps Crew in it - almost

It was a throw-in that gave the Fire their lone breakthough of the match. Jalil Anibaba took it long into the box, and Berry's flicked header found Larentowicz charging on from five yards out. He nodded to the right corner, his first goal for Chicago.

Until that point, it had been Gruenebaum's day.

The Fire tallied six shots in the first 11 minutes of the second half after only registering five in the first, mustering their first legitimate chances of the game.

Patrick Nyarko found Sherjill MacDonald just inside the penalty area in the 46th minute, but MacDonald hit the shot straight to Gruenebaum. Three minutes later, MacDonald found a wide open Gonzalo Segares, but the Columbus goalkeeper was once again equal.

Nyarko had a chance two minutes later when he settled a pass, but another Fire chance was saved. Then it was Berry's turn, as the big defender rose to head in the box, only for Gruenebaum to save spectacularly. Less than a minute later, he dove the other direction to parry a shot from Chris Rolfe wide.

FULL LINEUPS AND BOXSCORE

It was a far cry from a dour first half, in which the only action of note was an Agustin Viana goal that was ruled offside was the only action of note.

Columbus lost their first in their last four games and finished off a grueling start to the season, in which they played five of seven games on the road. They'll host D.C. United next week in the first of a three-game homestand.

The Fire will head to Stade Saputo next week to play Montreal.

13. truebluefan

Chicago Fire Fall 1-0 to Philadelphia Union

The Chicago Fire (2-6-1; seven points) fell 1-0 to the Philadelphia Union (4-3-3, 15 points) Saturday afternoon at Toyota Park. The Fire created 15 shots on goal but fell victim to a 75th minute goal by Union forward Jack McInerney.

The Fire came close in the 33rd minute. Patrick Nyarko dribbled into the box and centered the ball for Chris Rolfe but the Union's Gabriel Farfan blocked the initial shot. Daniel Paladini pounced on the rebound and unleashed a one-time shot that Zac MacMath kicked out to Wells Thompson, but Thompson's shot was blocked out for a corner kick.

After a scoreless first half the Fire came out with renewed vigor and continued to press for the opening goal.

In the 48th Gonzalo Segares sent in a cross for the left side to Paladini, who laid the ball off for Nyarko. The fleet-footed Ghanaian was able to pivot and hit a right-footed blast on goal but it banged off the post and out for a Union goal kick.

The visitors got the only goal of the match in the 75th minute. The Union won a free kick just inside the Fire's half. Sebastian Le Toux took a quick restart, sending the ball in behind the Fire backline to Jack McInerney. The Alpharetta, Ga. native took a touch to settle and slotted the ball past Johnson to give the Union the 1-0 lead.

In the 78th minute, Fire 'keeper Sean Johnson snagged a Union corner kick out of the air and quickly sent the ball up field for Nyarko. Nyarko broke away from Raymon Gaddis and headed towards goal. In alone with MacMath, Nyarko was unable to round the 'keeper and MacMath swept the ball away to freedom.

The Fire would get one last chance in the waning moments of the match. Rolfe dribbled into the box, played a give-and-go with Segares, and lofted the ball across the goal. The cross was headed out by the Union defense to Quincy Amarikwa, who unleashed a powerful volley toward goal but MacMath was able to punch it out at the last second as the match ended 1-0.

The Men in Red return to action when they head to Philadelphia to take on the Union at PPL Park in Chester, Penn. on Saturday, May 18 at 6:30 p.m. CT (My50/107.9 La Ley.) The Fire return to Toyota Park when they host D.C. United on Sunday, June 2 at 4:00 p.m. CT (My50/UniMas/107.9 La Ley). Tickets for the match are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire or by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com.

Notes:

- The Fire now hold a 3-4-1 all-time record against the Philadelphia Union.

- With midfielder Jeff Larentowicz serving a one-game suspension for a red card that he received April 27 against the Montreal Impact and Fire forward Sherjill MacDonald out with Strep Throat, Fire head coach Frank Klopas trotted out his ninth different starting lineup in nine games.

- With MacDonald unavailable, midfielder Patrick Nyarko started up top alongside Chris Rolfe.

- Fire defender Gonzalo Segares surpassed Jesse Marsch to take possession of fifth place on the Fire leader's charts with 183 MLS Regular Season starts.

- Fire midfielder Wells Thompson returned to the starting lineup after serving a one-game suspension that was given to him by the MLS Disciplinary Committee for his challenge on Columbus Crew midfielder AgustÃ-n Viana in the 12th minute of the match on Saturday, April 20.

Quotes:

On the team's performance

"I don't think we dominated most of the game, I think it was the whole game. You look at games like this and you scratch your head when you lose a game like this. We came out, we had good energy, we were good with the ball. In the first half there were opportunities where we forced the ball in bad spots. We knew they were a good team in transition. You walk away from the first half, we created enough opportunities but we didn't score. We had possession and pushed the game. Then a bad call on not even a foul. We fell asleep, they fell asleep on a quick restart and they give up a goal. The game is like that, that's soccer. You scratch your head. I felt we played well enough not to lose but to get the three points."

On when he found out Sherjill MacDonald would not be able to play

"Yesterday he came in and he was under the weather. He was able to train and he went to see our doctor; he had strep throat. We wanted to keep him away. It is contagious from what he said. We didn't want that spreading throughout the team. It was late afternoon yesterday after he got examined by our physician. We decided to leave him home and not around the players."

On the partnership of Chris Rolfe and Patrick Nyarko

"They combined well. They showed well. You can see by the opportunities. Patrick was dangerous, their ability to play off each other and stay more connected. Pushing Danny a little bit higher up the field because everyone has to defend. You need their energy mostly in the final third. As a team we are pretty hard. Patrick, when he got the ball, was very good off the dribble. He created a lot of opportunities but he didn't get rewarded with a goal. The little things are hurting us right now. Over 90 minutes you get the chances and you don't score, you can say it is a little unfair but it's soccer. We got to go back and be focused."

On the missing part of this team

"I've said it in the past. It would be different if you're not creating chances then you could scratch your head. You look at the game today we had more possession in the second half. There were shots on goals, opportunities. I can't tell you, all I can tell you is we had opportunities, but we need to finish. We had five, six, seven chances. It would be nice to score a couple goals to take the pressure off."

On the play of opposing goalkeeper Zac MacMath

"To win on the road you need the goalkeeper to play big. When you get the one chance to finish like they did they did well as a team. They were a bit lucky, those things are not going our way not due to lack of effort. We got to keep working. It is disappointing when you lose at home. You need to win your home games. I don't know what much more to say but go back to work. We played well enough to win the game."

On what is different in the team from this year compared to last

"We are missing Arne Friedrich in the back for sure 100 percent. His ability to communicate and over 90 minutes his ability to dictate the backline when to move up and stay connected with the team. He is really good with his feet and plays the right balls at the right time out of pressure. It is huge. We are making some mistakes that are hurting us. The other guys and Rolfe had a strong second half. You got to keep working on things. We miss Friedrich's leadership on a play like today."

On the Fire's finishing ability

"Yeah put the ball upper 90. What do you do to duplicate those situations in practice how do you get the confidence? You have repetition and training in the final third shooting. We do that stuff in training. Finishing they are proven guys who have done it in the past. In the game when the chance comes it's a little bit different. The pressure this and that. Those three inches to the left or right and we are talking about a different result. Give credit to them they defended well and came up with big saves. Sometimes you scratch your head and you look at this game again and you say how did you lose this game? One chance they score and we have 10 chances and we don't score. One little mistake that is the game. We need to move forward and look where we can improve certain spots on the field."

Patrick Nyarko, Chicago Fire Forward

On the frustration of not being able to finish

"It's a little bit frustrating. We're feeling a little bit unlucky right now, but I don't like making excuses. I thought we played well, but we're on a bad run. We've just been inconsistent and things are just not falling for us. I've said before, and I'll say it again, I'm confident that it's going to turn around. Games keep passing us by, but I'm optimistic that the team will turn it around."

On playing up top

"Most of the other players think I'm better up there [in the forward position], but I'm just out there trying to do what I do best - creating a bunch of chances and hopefully finishing a few. This week has been the only time I've really practiced up top and it takes a different mentality, and I need to get used to it.

As of right now, I don't know if it's going to continue like this. Because of an illness, I had to step in and be ready for anything that comes up. If they want to keep me up there, I'm ready to play. It's just a matter of staying consistent, which I think I have been throughout most of the season.

I've been practicing with Mac [MacDonald] and Chris [Rolfe] all week. The coaching staff just wants move things around and see how it feels." On playing with Chris Rolfe "Before Chris [Rolfe] left for Europe a few years ago, we played together a few times, so we know each other. We're both really quick and creative with the ball, and I feel like we opened the field up for each other and created a couple of very good chances. Whenever I play out wide I feel like I have a really good connection with him. As long as we keep creating chances I think we are going to be successful."

Logan Pause, Chicago Fire Midfielder

On the result

"I thought we played well enough to win the game and get three points, but life goes on. We play the same team next week, so we'll have to go their home and try and get three points."

On bouncing back next week

"The big thing for us is getting past it mentally and moving on. We know that things aren't going well. We're sitting toward the bottom of the table, and we don't feel like this is where this team should be. Obviously, this is a tough one to swallow today, especially since I felt like we did more than enough to get some points, in front of home fans disappointing them.

On missing Arne Friedrich

"We miss Arne [Friedrich] whether we win a game, lose a game or if he misses one game or five games. He's a guy that brings a wealth of experience to us in the year since he joined the team, but as much as we miss his experience we have guys that are capable and have shown game in and game out how well they can perform for the team. When we lose a game like this it's easy to go searching for answer, but that's not one of them."

14. truebluefan

Shorthanded Chicago Fire Fall 1-0 to Philadelphia Union

The Chicago Fire (2-7-1; seven points) fell 1-0 to the Philadelphia Union (5-4-3; 18 points) Saturday evening at PPL Park in Chester, Pa. Jack McInerney scored the only goal of the match in the third minute and a 63rd minute red card to Fire right back Wells Thompson forced the Men in Red to finish the match with 10 men.

The Fire came out of the gates flying and got their first chance of the match in just the second minute. Jalil Anibaba won the ball just inside the Fire's half and played the ball forward to Patrick Nyarko. With a nifty, no-look back heel, Nyarko sprung fellow forward Chris Rolfe. The 2012 Chicago Fire MVP played a short pass to Joel Lindpere, who took two touches to push the ball forward and unleashed a left-footed shot from outside the box that went just wide right.

A minute later the home side would get on the board. A cleared corner kick fell to Sebastien Le Toux. With one touch the Frenchman sent in a cross to Jack McInerney at the top of the six yard box. The Alpharetta, Ga. native snapped his header down and past Fire 'keeper Sean Johnson for his league-leading eighth goal of the season.

Searching for the equalizing goal, the Fire would continue to get their chances. In the seventh minute, Dilly Duka whipped in a corner kick and found Austin Berry inside the penalty area. The reigning MLS Rookie of the Year lost his defender and snapped his header towards goal but it went just wide of the post.

In the ninth minute, Nyarko received the ball inside the Union half and found Lindpere, who played a ball behind the Union defense to Rolfe, who unleashed a one-time, left-footed shot on frame but it went right to Union 'keeper Zac MacMath.

Thompson would receive his first yellow card of the night in the 14th minute for a hard challenge on the Union's Danny Cruz.

Nyarko would again prove dangerous in the 18th minute when he received the ball 35 yards from goal and turned towards goal. The converted forward took on two Union defenders and sent in a curving, right-footed shot but MacMath was able to get down low and deflect the ball out for a Fire corner kick.

The Fire came out of the locker room after halftime with renewed vigor in search of the equalizer.

In the 60th minute, Anibaba sent in a patented long throw-in into the Union penalty area. Nyarko pounced on the clearance and dribbled towards goal. Nyarko found Dilly Duka at the top of the penalty arc. With his back towards goal, Duka took a few touches to settle, and quickly turned and unleashed a dipping shot towards goal that MacMath punched out at the last second.

The Fire would be forced to play a man down in the 63rd minute when Thompson received his second yellow card of the night for taking down Cruz 30 yards from goal.

The Fire would get another look at goal in the 72nd minute when Duka sent a free kick from distance into the Union penalty box. Berry flicked on his header to Jeff Larentowicz at the top of the six yard box but the Philadelphia, Pa. native's volley sailed over the cross bar.

In the 73rd minute, Sherjill MacDonald received the ball 40 yards from goal and dribbled down the left flank. Fighting for positioning, MacDonald turned and dribbled towards goal but was dragged down by Willams, well inside the penalty box. Williams was shown a yellow card for the foul but the referee awarded the free kick outside the box.

In the 78th minute the Fire would again get a shot on goal. Alex received a short throw-in deep in the Union half. The Brazilian dribbled up and towards the center of the pitch and from 30 yards out, took a left-footed shot that MacMath was able to bring down.

The Fire hit the road again next weekend and head to take on Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah on Saturday, May 25 at 8:00 p.m. CT (My50/La Ley 107.9 FM). The Fire return to Toyota Park when they host D.C. United on Sunday, June 2 at 4:00 p.m. CT (My50/UniMas/107.9 La Ley). Tickets for the match are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire or by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com.

15. truebluefan

Chicago Fire Earn Hard-Fought 1-1 Road Draw at Real Salt Lake

The Chicago Fire (2-7-2, 8 points) earned a hard-fought 1-1 road draw against Real Salt Lake (6-5-3, 21 points) at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah Saturday evening. A 78th minute Alvaro Saborio goal put the visitors ahead but Quincy Amarikwa's acrobatic strike in the 84th minute earned the Men in Red a valuable road point.

Right off the bat the Fire looked dangerous as they searched for the opening goal. In the 7th minute, Fire right back Jalil Anibaba sent in a long throw-in deep in RSL's half. The deflection fell to Chris Rolfe, whose right-footed half volley from the top of the 18-yard box went just wide left.

In the 25th minute, Dilly Duka dribbled down the right flank and unleashed a shot from distance but his left-footed effort deflected out for a Fire corner kick.

The two sides traded chances and in the 29th minute, Ned Grabavoy played the ball out wide to Joao Plata. The diminutive Ecuadorian took a touch to settle and drove in a cross back to Grabavoy but his snap header was snagged out of the air by Fire 'keeper Sean Johnson.

In the 56th minute, RSL defender Chris Wingert send in a low, driving shot from 25-yards out but Johnson was again on point and able to push it out of the danger zone.

RSL would prove dangerous in the 76th minute when Patrick Nyarko was whistled for a foul on Javier Morales just outside of the 18-yard box. Morales bending free kick curved around the three man wall and ricocheted off the crossbar.

Two minutes later the home side would notch the first goal of the night. Sebastian Velasquez played the ball out wide to Grabavoy, who drove in a cross to Alvaro Saborio at the six-yard box. The Costa Rican international made no mistake and drove his header down past Johnson for the opening goal of the match.

The Men in Red continued to press in search of the equalizer and in the 84th minute, the high pressure would pay dividends. Anibaba sent in a patented long throw into the box and found Berry. The reigning MLS Rookie of the Year flicked the ball into the path of Quincy Amarikwa, who lost his defender and with an acrobatic leap, sent his right-footed volley past RSL 'keeper Nick Rimando for the equalizer.

The Men in Red begin the journey for its fifth Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup trophy when they travel to take on the Charlotte Eagles (USL-PRO) on Wednesday, May 29 at 6:00 p.m. CT at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, S.C. The match will be available via a live webcast on www.Chicago-Fire.com. The Fire return to MLS action when they host Eastern Conference rivals D.C. United at Toyota Park on Sunday, June 2 at 4:00 p.m. CT (UniMas/My50/La Ley 107.9 FM).

16. EPJr

New Chicago Fire attacker Mike Magee finally gets home:
    "I have to cut the cord with LA"

[​IMG]

Ever since last week's trade between the LA Galaxy and Chicago Fire that saw Robbie Rogers join the Galaxy in exchange for Mike Magee, observers have wondered why exactly the Galaxy would give up their then-leading scorer and one of the most clutch playoff goalscorers in MLS history.

A letter to the fans from Magee, a Chicago native, didn't even fully convince some who felt that the Galaxy gave up too much and might have been forced into the deal by the league and the unique circumstances surrounding Robbie Rogers.

On Monday, after training for the first time with the Fire, Magee set the record as straight as possible as to why he has returned home.

“It’s been on my mind pretty much since I left," he said. "I tried to get back [here] a couple times in the past and then I think throughout the process with Robbie Rogers, that whole saga with him trying to get to LA, it crept in my mind that somebody had to go to Chicago. And I raised my hand."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ke-magee-finally-gets-home-i-have-cut-cord-la

17. truebluefan

Chicago Fire Begin Four-Match Homestand with 2-0 Victory over D.C. United

The Chicago Fire (3-7-2, 11 points) defeated D.C. United (1-10-2, 5 points) Sunday afternoon at Toyota Park. An early D.C. United own goal and a 85th minute strike from Chicago, Ill. native Mike Magee in his home debut led the Fire to a 2-0 victory.

The Fire would get on the board first in the ninth minute. United defender Chris Korb was whistled for a foul on Joel Lindpere 30 yards from goal and the Estonian drove the ensuing free kick into the box which bounced around, before redirecting into goal off of Nick DeLeon to give the Fire the 1-0 lead.

D.C. United would get their best chance of the match in the 38th minute when Dwayne DeRosario received the ball 40 yards from goal, took a couple touches to settle and unleashed a right-footed laser on goal only to be thwarted by the crossbar.

In the 51st minute, Chris Rolfe headed the ball down for Magee on the right side of the pitch. Magee turned and raced towards goal but his shot to the far post went just wide.

Magee would get another look on goal in the 72nd minute when a Lindpere corner kick was headed out by the United defense. The ball fell for Magee at the top of the arc, and with a quick turn, sent a right-footed shot just high.

With D.C. pushing for the equalizer, substitute forward Maicon Santos found Magee streaking through the middle and put him in alone on goal but United 'keeper Joe Willis made a point-black stop in the 82nd minute.

Minutes later, Magee would finally find the goal he'd been looking for. Santos received the ball just inside the Fire's half and played a perfectly weighted ball for Nyarko in behind the United defense. Nyarko turned towards goal and found Magee inside the penalty arc. The Chicago, Ill. native took two touches to settle the ball and sent his low, right-footed shot past Willis into the side netting for his first league goal for the Men in Red to ice the match in the 85th minute.

The Fire will continue June with three additional home games, hosting the Portland Timbers on June 8 at 7:30 p.m. CT (My50/La Ley 107.9), the Columbus Crew in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup action on June 12 at 7:30 p.m. CT, and the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday, June 19 at 7:30 p.m. CT (My50/La Ley 107.9). Tickets are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire or by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com.

Notes:

- With the victory, the Fire move to 16-17-11 all-time against D.C. United, including a 9-6-7 record in matches played at home.

- This match marked the home re-debut for defender Bakary Soumare, who is in his second stint with the Fire. Selected as the second overall pick in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft, Soumare transferred to French First Division side U.S. Boulogne in August 2009. Soumare returned to MLS on June 26 with the Philadelphia Union and re-joined the Fire via trade on May 23.

- This match also marked the Toyota Park debut for Chicago, Ill. native Mike Magee. Magee was acquired via trade with the LA Galaxy on May 25.

- Magee has scored two goals in his first two matches for the Men in Red. Magee scored the first goal of a 2-0 victory over the Charlotte Eagles on May 29 in the third round of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.

- Fire head coach Frank Klopas trotted out his twelfth different starting lineup in as many matches. Captain Logan Pause missed the match due to a groin strain that he picked up in the Fire's Open Cup match on Wednesday.

- Klopas holds a 21-12-13 all-time regular season record in matches played in the months of June through October. Klopas' squads have tallied an overall record of 7-11-5 in the first three matches of the season. Quotes:

Overall thoughts on the win and the team's performance

"Yeah, definitely, I think it's obviously a great win for our team, it's very important game. I think that both teams were in a situation where we needed points so we came into it prepared really well. You know we had a mid-week game the Open Cup match but I think we did a good job just making sure the guys were fresh and ready to go knowing that this would be a very difficult match and it was. I think we got that goal early on, an own goal, and I think that was good but the first half I think we weren't very good in our possession game, especially with the players we had out there. I think the key was our initial pass in transition wasn't great. We chased the game a little bit. I felt we had some good looks in the final third, and then obviously in the second half, we created chances again and it was great to get the second goal and get the victory. It was an important victory for us. Now, second week of the Open Cup in a short time and an important match here. So an important game, we are feeling good and now we just got to put this game behind us, enjoy tonight, and then regroup and get ready for the whole week we have in front of us. We have another difficult match against Portland at home."

On how important Magee's second goal was

"The second goal its always important because when you get chances you need to put them away and put the team away. Even though DC, with their record, they are a lot better than their record shows, and they have some quality players there. I think when you get chances in matches you've got to put them away and I think that (the goal) took a lot of pressure off the players. We created chances again in the second half but it was good, you know, to put that second one away and enjoy the end of the game a little bit more."

On the Fire's defensive play

"They did well. I think the first half, you saw we had a little bit of problems, when (Dwayne) De Rosario was dropping in between the lines and he was finding the ball. We talked about it in halftime where one of the center backs had to get tight and deny that ability of him to get the ball, find the space, and turn and I think we did a good job. I mean, Baky (Soumare), and the rest of the guys have been playing better and better and I think that it takes some time when you do bring new players in to kind of adjust and fit in, but I think Baky is an experienced player and I think overall as a team, it starts defending with the whole group, it starts with the forwards and their willingness to work very hard off the ball and they did. We got the victory and the clean sheet, which is always important."

On how set he is on the current line-up

"I think, you know, with the two players we've added, quality players, I think that there is more depth in the team. There are a lot of games coming up, with Open Cup matches and league matches that are important, and I think it gives us an opportunity to be able to put quality players in and not miss a beat. I think we have depth in certain areas and that's good and its going to help us throughout the season."

On Mike Magee and his leadership role

"I mean what can you say, I think that you saw the quality that he has, his leadership that he brings on the field, but he's just very smart. The way he moves on the field, he wants the ball in difficult spots and he always seems to be in the right moment, at the right time. I think, look, he's a quality player that's going to make our team, obviously, better. You saw a little bit tonight and I don't know if you watched the Open Cup match but I know that as he gets a little bit more familiarized with the group of players that we have, I think it's even going to be better. So, yeah, he's got a lot of quality and we are lucky to have him in our group, on our team."

On the play of Alex

"We wanted to get better possession and have someone obviously that can be another guy that can, from deep spots, support the forwards and Alex has a lot of quality. He's a player that wants the ball in difficult spots, he can beat players off the dribble, he can create opportunities for himself and that puts a lot of pressure on opposing defenders, and I think he's getting better. I thought he had a good game today where he picked up the ball in difficult spots and made things happen and I know he can play a lot better. But we have players with different qualities and I think with different games we can bring different characteristics and players and that can help us."

Patrick Nyarko, Chicago Fire Midfielder

On playing with Mike Magee

"It's a little different. We got our first taste of it mid-week in Charlotte, and the first impressions of Mike [Magee] are that he is such a smart player. I catch myself looking at him and his movements as a play develops to see what he wants me to do with the ball, he leads us to the next play. You can see that he's smart, very experienced and has played with some great teams, so I'm very impressed. But we can't jump for joy after one week, we need to continue with this and it will be very good."

Mike Magee, Chicago Fire Forward

On scoring the second goal of the match

"It's huge. I think the biggest thing when you're not scoring is just to create chances, which is what we did tonight. Obviously it's good to get two goals, but if we're a little better we have four. But just creating chances gives you confidence, so the second one put them away."

On working with his new teammates

"To start the game, in the first half, we weren't great - we didn't get much possession in the final third but we had a good regroup at halftime. The second half I thought we were great."

On working with Patrick Nyarko and his speed

"It's hard getting used to speed, I'm not fast so I can't relate at all. As soon as I knew he was going to get behind I just took off and he played me a great ball. "

Bakary Soumare, Chicago Fire Defender

On his first game back at Toyota Park

"It feels great. It feels fantastic being here, obviously I love playing here. This is home to me, so it's great to be a part of this organization, and to start with a win and a clean sheet couldn't have been scripted any better. "

On the play of the back line

"Today was a better result for us. We were getting comfortable with each other, we getting used to playing with each other so it's been good. I've known Austin [Berry] for a while and I watch a lot of games, so for me it's an easy transition. This is a team that I follow closely so it's been great. I just hope that we can keep it up."

On the importance of the win

"It was a very important win. It's a team we will be fighting against. We're both in a similar situation and it's good for us to get three points, especially considering the results last night. Now we just need to keep getting points to make up for the first 10 or 11 games."

18. truebluefan

Chicago Fire Fight Back from Two-Goal Deficit to Draw Portland

The Chicago Fire (3-7-3, 12 points) earned a hard-fought point against the Portland Timbers (5-1-8, 23 points) at Toyota Park Saturday evening. The visitors went ahead 2-0 courtesy of goals from Diego Valeri and Ben Zemanski but the Men in Red fought back and were led by Mike Magee's second consecutive MLS goal in a Fire shirt and Daniel Paladini's bending free kick to earn the 2-2 draw.

Just 30 seconds into the match, Federic Piquionne dribbled into the box and unleashed a low, hard shot on goal. Sean Johnson quickly got down and made the kick save. The ball bounced up and off the cross bar and fell to Diego Valeri. Valeri centered the ball to Diego Chara at the top of the six-yard box but Chara's shot also dinged off the cross bar and out to safety.

The visitors would again hit the woodwork in the fourth minute when Michael Harrington dribbled down the left and crossed the ball to Will Johnson at the right post. The Timbers captain rose above his defender and snapped his header down out of Johnson's reach but the ball clanged off the far post and was cleared out by Austin Berry.

The Fire would also get their chances and in the 10th minute, Patrick Nyarko received the ball on the right side of field and centered his pass to Chris Rolfe at the top of the 18-yard box. Rolfe took a quick touch to settle and blasted his right-footed effort on frame but Timbers 'keeper Milos Kocic was able to get his fingertips on the ball to push it over the bar.

Valeri would put the Timbers ahead in the 33rd minute. Kocic's long goal kick found Piquionne who flicked his header on for an onrushing Valeri, who dribbled into the box and sent his right footed shot off the left post and in for the opening goal of the match.

The Timbers doubled their lead in the 58th minute when Piquionne received the ball on the right side and centered the ball for Ben Zemanski, whose one-time, right footed shot from distance went just past a diving Johnson to give the Timbers the 2-0 lead.

Magee would cut the Portland lead in half in the 68th minute with his second consecutive MLS goal for the Fire. Alex played a perfectly weighted pass through behind the Timbers defense for Magee. Racing towards goal, Timbers defender Andrew Jean-Baptiste and a sliding Kocic collided, causing the ball to pop out of Kocic's grasp. Magee pounced on the rebound and slotted the ball into the open net to pull the Fire within one.

The Fire would find the equalizer in the 82nd minute. Continuing to press, Nyarko found Magee at the top of the penalty arc. Magee took a touch to settle but was knocked off the ball by Jean-Baptiste, earning a free kick 25 yards from goal. On the ensuing free kick, second half substitute Daniel Paladini whipped his right footed shot over the wall and just inside the post to pull the Fire level 2-2.

With a quick turnaround, the Fire will host the Columbus Crew in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup action on Wednesday, June 12 at 7:30 p.m. CT. The match will be available via live webcast on www.Chicago-Fire.com. The Men in Red return to MLS action when they host the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday, June 19 at 7:30 p.m. CT (My50/La Ley 107.9). Tickets are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire or by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com.

19. truebluefan

Chicago Fire Defeat Colorado Rapids 2-1 in High-Spirited Affair

The Chicago Fire (4-7-3, 15 points) defeated the Colorado Rapids (5-6-5, 20 points) 2-1 Wednesday evening at Toyota Park. Deshorn Brown put the visitors up first in the 17th minute but Mike Magee equalized six minutes later and Austin Berry headed home the game-winner in the 47th as the Men in Red emerged the victors of a high-spirited match.

The Rapids would capitalize on a rare defensive miscue in the 17th minute. Alex played an innocuous ball to Berry 40-yards from goal. Berry took a touch but Brown came racing in, picked the ball off of Berry's foot and dribbled in to the 18-yard-box and slotted it past Johnson for the opening goal of the match.

The Fire would equalize just six minutes later when Dilly Duka received the ball in the Fire's half and went racing down the left flank. Duka broke into the penalty area but as Rapids' defender Marvell Wynne made the sliding clearance, his hand made contact with the ball and was whistled for the penalty.

Magee stepped up and with the cheeky chip, went to Rapids 'keeper Clint Irwin's right and buried the penalty to equalize in the 23rd minute.

Just ten minutes later, Anibaba drove in a low cross for the right side of the pitch to Nyarko. With a quick pivot, the wily midfielder, found Magee on the far post, who smashed his one-time effort into goal past Irwin but Magee was half a step offside and the goal was called back.

The Men in Red would find the eventual game-winner just minutes into the second half. Jeff Larentowicz pounced on a rebound 30-yards from goal and sent a curling cross in towards goal. Waiting on the back post, Berry out jumped his defender and snapped his header down to the opposite post and past Irwin to put the Men in Red up 2-1.

The visitors would continue to press and in the 52nd minute, Edson Buddle received the ball at the top of the 18 and blasted his half-volley towards goal but it dinged off the post and out to safety.

The Rapids would hit the woodwork again in second half stoppage time. Brown played a ball across the face of the Fire goal to Tony Cascio on the back post, but his right footed shot went straight off the post.

In the waning moments of the match, Sturgis found Brown at the penalty spot. The Rapids rookie brought the ball down and buried his shot but was called for the hand ball as the match ended 2-1 in favor of the Fire.

The Men in Red face a quick turnaround as they hit the road to take on the Columbus Crew at Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio on Saturday, June 22 at 7:00 p.m. CT (My50/La Ley 107.9). Just four days later the Fire return home and welcome Orlando City SC to Toyota Park for the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal match on Wednesday, June 26 at 7:30 p.m. CT. Tickets for the match are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire, by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com or Ticketmaster. The Open Cup match will serve as Bonus Game 3 in the Fire Season Ticket and Ten Game packages.

Notes:

- With the win, the Fire move to 18-12-8 all-time against the Rapids in regular season play.

- The Fire are undefeated in the last five matches across all competitions.

- Mike Magee's goal in the 23rd minute was his fifth goal in five consecutive matches across all competitions to start his Fire career.

- Austin Berry's goal in the 47th minute was his first of the season. The reigning MLS Rookie of the Year has four career MLS goals to his credit. This was also Berry's second game-winning goal of his career.

Quotes:

Overall thoughts on the win

"It's a team effort. It's always about the team and I think it was an important game for us in this homestand and we needed to get the three points and we found a way, again, to come back from behind. I'm just proud of the guys because I think we did create, even in the second half, good chances but also they had good looks. And that's the game. Sometimes things have to go your way. We put the second goal [in], we created some more chances so we could get a little more comfortable lead, but in the end we suffered a little bit but the guys stuck together, they played well, and it was a great three points for us at home."

On Mike Magee's injury

"I think he's a little bit sore we'll see better tomorrow. I think he's got ice on it, hopefully it's not that bad but three games in seven days, we have to see how guys feel tomorrow and then make some decisions. We have players on the team that we can count on and that's going to be the case throughout the season."

On if Magee's injury is a concern

"No, I think it's not that bad but you never know. Tomorrow we will have a better idea. He's got an ice pack right now. I felt that after that shot, he wasn't one-hundred-percent and its good that we were able to take him out."

On Austin Berry's performance today

"I think it was a whole team effort. I think Austin is always a guy that is dangerous in the box and we knew that he's very good in the air. He's a competitor. The kid leaves everything on the field. He's played some great matches. I think that every game he goes in and competes and leaves everything for the team on the field and that's all you can ask for. Fantastic outing today again by him and by the whole."

On if he was worried about Austin Berry after his early mistake to give up the goal

"No, not at all because I know him, how he is. I know him very well and I think that's part of the game. Things happen and you have to move on. You can't look back and as a team we always look forward and you saw his response. You see how the guy's mentality is very strong and I think that that's part of the game, it's going to happen and you have to move on and we did and I think he responded well and the team responded well. But he's got a pretty strong mentality and those things don't faze him. Other guys maybe it's different but with him I knew there was no issue."

On the team conceding goals in the air recently

"I think we got to keep working on our box defending. This is something we have talked about. Baky [Soumare] is someone that's not new into the group and we have been working on that and that's crucial...our ability to mark in the box. But that's not the kind of goal we gave up tonight. But I thought the back line was solid and Sean [Johnson]did a very good job coming out. Inside the box he was the man. He came out, he stopped a lot of plays in the air, but I think as a whole, that's a crucial part of the game because where are the goals scored from? Inside the box. So our ability to get tight on the wide players so they don't have easy service and then our ability in the box to defend is something that we work on constantly during the week but I didn't feel there was an issue tonight. The guys did well. I think Sean [Johnson] was huge for us coming out with his sight and ability to pick up those balls. It was great."

On how Dilly Duka is coming along

"We knew Dilly [Duka] and his ability. He's only going to get better. He had another fantastic game tonight. He made the PK, he was very dangerous, and he's a young player with a lot of ability. He just keeps getting better and stronger with every match."

On what will be similar and different against Columbus this weekend

"We just got to assess where the team is. I think we have depth in the team and there's opportunities when we play a lot of matches to count on the team as a whole. So we will see where the guys are tomorrow and we will adjust knowing that we have 3 games in 7 days but we will have a better picture of where guys are tomorrow. Like I said, we got to rely on the team and these are the times where you do that. I have confidence in the whole group."

Austin Berry, Chicago Fire defender

On going down early in games

"A lot of it is our own fault, obviously tonight it was my fault. There aren't a lot of teams breaking us down and beating us, so if we shore things up from our end that should eliminate the early goals."

On his mistake that led to the first goal

"Basically, I passed the ball to him. I couldn't have helped him out anymore. I was too lazy on the ball. I didn't play quickly enough and he caught me."

On scoring after a mistake which lead to a Colorado goal

"I think this is the third time since last year that I've made a mistake, then come back to score a goal."

On the unbeaten streak

"It feels good. Even early in the season we kept a good mindset. We were still focused on the goals at hand and now we're starting to score some goals and get the victories. It feels good to be rewarded for all our hard work."

On pattern of going down early, like last season

"It's great that we can get good results to make up for our mistakes. We have to remember not to get down on ourselves, but like we keep saying, we can't always rely on coming back; sometimes we aren't going to be able to put goals in the net. Luckily tonight we were able to get that goal back in the first half, I think that was key to the victory."

Patrick Nyarko, Chicago Fire midfielder

On giving up the early goal

"We need to have great concentration coming out of the gates. I can't wrap my mind around it happening today because I thought we were playing really well - we were creating chances and getting possession in the midfield. The goal was just a bad mistake, but it happens. But it let you see how strong the kid is, he came back and scored a goal and we won the game. Giving up the early goals has got to stop. Personally, I think it was better today because we had control of the game."

On the game plan in the second half

"I think in the first half we handled ourselves pretty well. It wasn't the perfect game, but I think we were on top. This was one of our better games all year putting the first and second halves together. Last game we played better in the second half, but not so much in the first half. This game we didn't let them play to their strengths. We dominated them, not entirely, just enough to win."

Mike Magee, Chicago Fire forward

On the five goals in five games streak

"If I start talking about that it won't be six in six, so no comment."

On the PK

"The only thing you need to know about that goal is Dilly [Duka]. He did an incredible job to beat his guy. He was going one on one with Marvell Wynne, which is a pretty daunting task - he just went at him. The finish was pretty simple."

On his leadership on the field

"The intention is to help the team win. Tonight wasn't even my best game. I thought Jeff Larentowicz was fantastic, I thought Patrick Nyarko was fantastic and my only job tonight was to tap in a penalty kick so not much credit should go to me."

20. truebluefan

Chicago Fire Earn 2-1 Comeback Victory over Columbus Crew

The Chicago Fire (5-7-3) earned their first road win of the season with a 2-1 comeback victory over the Columbus Crew (5-6-5) Saturday evening at Columbus Crew Stadium. Federico Higuain converted a 7th minute penalty kick before Dilly Duka and Mike Magee scored two unanswered goals in the 52nd and 54th minutes to give the Fire the victory.

In the sixth minute, former Fire striker Dominic Oduro showed his trademark speed as he raced into the penalty box. Fire 'keeper Sean Johnson dove for the ball at Oduro's feet and was whistled for the foul inside the penalty area. Crew captain Federico Higuain stepped up and took the ensuing penalty kick. Johnson dove correctly to his right but Higuain's shot was just inches past his fingertips as the home side took the early 1-0 lead.

The Fire would pull even in the 54th minute. With his back towards goal, Magee split the Crew defense and found Joel Lindpere racing down the left flank. The Estonian international whipped a cross into the box and found Duka on the back post. Unmarked, the Montville, NJ product stuck his right foot out and with the sliding volley, powered the ball into the roof of the goal for the equalizer.

Just two minutes later the Men in Red would take the lead with another pinpoint Lindpere cross. Again from the left side, Lindpere served an inch-perfect cross into the box, finding Magee at the top of the six-yard box. Magee out-jumped his defender and used this chest to redirect the ball into the back of the net to give the Fire the 2-1 lead.

Searching for the equalizer the Crew peppered the goal and took a total of 15 shots, but Johnson was up to the task and made eight saves as the Fire took all three points.

The Men in Red face a quick turnaround as they return home and welcome Orlando City SC to Toyota Park for the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal match on Wednesday, June 26 at 7:30 p.m. CT. Tickets for the match are available by calling 888-MLS-Fire, by visiting www.Chicago-Fire.com or Ticketmaster. The Open Cup match will serve as Bonus Game 3 in the Fire Season Ticket and Ten Game packages.