Dame all but demanding vet roster

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Apr 13, 2023.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

If they trade Sharpe I’ll be pissed

1 Eye Jack, Natebishop3 and Haakzilla like this.
  2. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I think a lot depends on where our pick ends up, howerver it could be time to say adios to Dame, a very interesting/key offseason ahead. I understand both sides, my personal view is to move Dame

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  3. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

there are bad gms, but i can assure you, every gm will ask for shae and if theres no deal without shae, so be it, im not trading that kid, even at the cost of dame asking for a trade

and if thats what happens, we will be right in time to rebuild, as shae is only 19 y0 and simons can also improve his value, similar to what shai did on okc team

i really like dame, but i like the team more and im not willing to jeopardize our future for an unrealistic goal of a one man

4. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    It's tough, but due to his size and style of Dame's game, it will be very difficult to build around him with the pieces/assets available, in a manner that will get the team to contending status. It just is what it is. No matter how great he is offensively in the regular season, in the Playoffs, defense plays a bigger and bigger part and that is just not a strength. So you have to add size and defense around him. They are much better as a team defensively when Nurk is available, but that availability is problematic.

Grant was supposed to be the best front-court player we've has since LA, and he very well may be, but he is somehow 16th on the team in rebounds/36 minutes playing 'power' forward.

Nurk is Dame's 'brother' and Grant was the guy Dame wanted last summer. Okay, fine, but those 3 combined isn't taking this team anywhere. So what does Portland have to trade to make them that much better? Ant and a pick that might be the best player this team has selected since.....Dame? To be honest, I'm not thrilled with giving up high Lottery picks when that is the best way a franchise like the Blazers gets better. It sucks what Olshey did during most of the prime of Dame's career, but it may just be too late to mortgage the next 15 years of the franchise to get the Blazers to what, a #4 seed in the Western Conference? I think they can get better, but not to the point of being a Top-4 team in the league and having a legit shot at winning a title.

And if that is the case, there is no way I want to give up on a Lottery pick for upper mediocrity.

Mote and Ed O like this.
  5. GrandpaBlaze

GrandpaBlaze Predictions Game Master

As much as I hate to say it, I don't want to mortgage our future so we can acquire another Jeremy Grant or two. Good players but not difference makers.

If Dame goes, then we shouldn't resign Grant, should trade Nurk and go all out on the youth movement.

I know some here like Ant, but I am not a fan and I think trading him might bring back some assets that may fit better with a long-term future (i.e., something more than a largely-one-dimensional player who is streaky in that one dimension).

I'd hate to see Dame go but I'll take future over a slightly better mediocre now.

6. Cugel

Cugel The epitome of mediocrity

Canvas Repairman
    They will either trade Shae or Dame goes. EVERY team out there will demand Shae in return for a star. Joe can't have anybody off limits if he expects to land a whale. He will trade Shae and add to his, and this org's, blunders.

7. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

None of this is a secret. We all know it's time to make a big move or trade Dame. My concern is that by Dame saying this so publicly, does it hurt our leverage with making a trade. Teams now know more then ever we need their good experienced vet very very much in order to make Dame happy.

inconceivable likes this.
  8. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

It's funny though--as much as we talk about wanting the team to add a "difference-maker", I'd argue that (aside from Dame) the player who made the most difference in the win column was Winslow. Outside of a straight-up superstar, it's often difficult to predict who will actually impact the team the way we want. I mean, I am quite certain that nobody predicted the Bowie-Williams trade suddenly vaulting the late 80's Blazers to contenders. I'm the first to admit that have no idea who out there would actually improve this team significantly, but I think it's short-sighted for us fans to assume that only "all-stars" are worthwhile acquisitions.

rotary111, TBpup, e_blazer and 2 others like this.
  9. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Well, he did until he didn't. There was a stretch there when Winslow was all negatives. But Josh Hart, on the other hand...
    upload_2023-4-13_10-8-52.png

The much-maligned Nurk was probably more important than Winslow. AND Grant.

CJ_is_Gone and Ed O like this.
  10. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    My reaction to this is that I hope this now gives Cronin carte blanche finally to trade Dame. It's pretty hard to trade a franchise legend - until he asks out.

But best case scenario would be Jody selling (to Phil Knight!) and that being followed by a massive housecleaning.

Idog1976, SharpesTriumph and Ed O like this.
  11. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Slight overreaction to a pretty tepid thing he said. I don't think he's saying "trade every young player", so I'm not worried about them trading Shaedon.

I think he's saying "unless you get Victor, I don't need another rookie on the team".

And I think think that means players like Little, Winslow, Johnson, Little, Walker and Reddish, all players who are not there yet, are the tradeable assets, not necessarily Shaedon.

Because honestly, I'd say that Shaedons potential is higher than Dame's career best was. I know that sounds crazy to say after his rookie year, but he's light years ahead of Simons at the same age, and imho, he's ahead of Dame at the same age too.

Doesn't mean he'll fulfil it, but that trading him could be such a detrimental blow to the franchise. And I think damian knows it.

Mostly, I think he's saying "if they don't do shit, I'm gonna be pissed".

Idog1976, Mote, Pinwheel1 and 5 others like this.
  12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Dame already said the other day that Shaedon was different than a normal rookie. I don’t think he’s asking that Shaedon be traded. Dame’s just stating the obvious; using the two first round picks to get rookies doesn’t work if the plan is to build a contender next season. Trading them with other players for a needle-moving vet or two could. Getting more seasoned role guys is important too. Basically, I think Dame is just saying that Cronin has to pick a lane and go with it. The lane that brings in more vet talent is the one that’s been promised to him. If the team chooses to go the rebuild route with young talent, it’s time to trade Dame. I think Cronin is on board with keeping his promise to Dame. I suspect that there’s a caveat that would change directions if the ping pong balls bring the No. 1 pick the Blazers’ way. Dame may be fine with playing with Wembanyama, but if not, it might time for an amicable divorce.

Idog1976, Mote, SlyPokerDog and 2 others like this.
  13. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    Somebody wave OKC's roster in front of Chauncey and say "see - SOME people manage to coach young players!"

Whyachi, Ed O and illmatic99 like this.
  14. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
    That's because Dame way exceeded his potential. If he had just matched it, then he would've played college ball at Kentucky for one season. (Hey, I made that example before remembering that's exactly what Shaedon did. Well, except for the "play" part.)

15. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    It would be nice if Lillard made it really clear that he doesn't want Sharpe traded by just saying it outright. As much talking a he is doing, why not say it?
    At this time i don't see that any difference maker will be available this season. Siakam still talking about making Toronto better.
    We just have to all hope that Cronin will have the wisdom and courage to not trade Sharpe under any circumstances and not trade a high lottery pick unless the guy coming back can really make a difference.

16. Ripcity4life77

Ripcity4life77 Well-Known Member

I am so tired of the same topic coming up only in a different way --- Dame will be here until HE asks out so the media , fans and others need to stop beating this dead horse. Now I understand how some feel we should not mortgage the future to get Dame this contender type team and I agree to a point. I think EVERYONE outside of Sharpe should be available in trade talks for help and Sharpe only if the trade is for another Top 10 player type. Dame deserves another chance at a playoff run and the front office and Jody should do everything they can to try and make it happen and this is a fact so live with it.

17. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Are GM's not going to trade with us now to try and force Dame out?

Whyachi likes this.
  18. Ripcity4life77

Ripcity4life77 Well-Known Member

Will GM's maybe do that ? -- It's possible there might be a couple GM's but I do not think we should worry about it but this is where a good GM comes in and right now what Cronin as shown does not inspire confidence. This is why I think some fans are a little doom and gloom and why I think some have kind of gone into the mind set of screw it just trade Dame but could be wrong on that.

19. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

No...

29 GMs will not collude together, passing up what may be good deals for their teams, for a 1/29 chance they might get Dame or a 28/29 chance one of their competitors might.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  20. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

The Suns new owner in his first week traded their ip and coming super star and another very solid young wing and some for KD. If the Suns win a cship this year or next or even get close, those fans that didn’t want to mortgage the future for a contend now will see it differently.
    Would you have traded for Durant if you were a Suns fan?