Dame all but demanding vet roster

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Mediocre Man, Apr 13, 2023.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Not title contending PG

2. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    of course he is going to have a say where he goes in trade. No offense but you don’t shit on the best player in franchise history, not only that but he’s been extremely loyal. The fact that people say they don’t care about Dames opinion pisses me off. They are the same people who would be Pissed if Dame had left the franchise a few years back when his contract was up. Can’t expect players to have loyalty if the fans and franchise don’t show loyalty. Can you imagine the National blow back we’d get if we screw Dame over

UncleCliffy'sDaddy, RR7 and tykendo like this.
  3. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Don't think he's going anywhere. But if he did, and the team did him dirty, i could see other players, including drafted ones, jetting from the team as soon as their deals were up. I doubt we ever see a player, this good, entrenched in our city again.

1 Eye Jack and RR7 like this.
  4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Finally an all star all nba player wants to spend his career in Portland and what do people want to do? There's not another Dame that's clamoring to be a Blazer out there. Trading Dame and gutting the team would turn us into a long playoff drought team like the Kings were for 16 years...no thanks. Dame is the guy Grant came here to play with, not Ant or Nurk. Dame is the best bait you have for attracting talent to Portland. If they trade him, my days as an NBA fan will more than likely end with that move. Dame is this franchise's best shot at a title, not Shaedon Sharpe or Ant.

5. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I re-watched all the Scoot "highlights". If we land the #2 pick I would be shocked if Portland did not receive offers for him that included a borderline all-star, because Scoot looks like he will be an all-star at some point. If we don't get a really good offer then I totally agree that we keep him. He is too good to move for a marginal player who we could get through other means.

BBert likes this.
  6. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

So you’d trade Sharpe to bring in a star player like Pascal Siakam, DeMar Derozan type?

7. riverman

riverman Writing Team

No...but I'd trade Ant....we have Sharpe on a rookie contract...Ant's salary will get you closer to a star in a trade than Sharpe's will. We need to keep affordable talent on the roster and pay big money for needle movers...that means going into the luxury tax for once. Sharpe is a steal at the price for the Dame era...Ant, not so much.

BBert likes this.
  8. Pinwheel1

The #2 pick will receive about 10 million in his first year. For matching salaries in a trade, how soon can it be counted? Before the draft, after the pick is made, after July 1st, or when the player signs?

9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    From the CBA FAQ page:

“Draft picks (both first and second round) count $0 for salary matching purposes. This is true both before and after the draft, until the player signs a contract. This can make it very difficult to construct a trade that is equitable in both trade value and basketball value. For example, Vancouver selected Steve Francis with the #2 pick in the 1999 draft, and subsequently traded his draft rights to Houston. When the trade was finally engineered, it included three teams (Orlando was also involved), 11 players (including Francis) and two future draft picks.

Once the draft pick signs a contract, his actual salary becomes his trade value.”

And, after signing, a draft pick is restricted from being traded:

“For 30 days after signing as a draft pick. This applies even for later-signed first round picks, who are signed using cap room at least three seasons after they are drafted.”

UKRAINEFAN, Shaboid and Pinwheel1 like this.
  10. Pinwheel1

Thanks for finding that. Stupid rule IMO to make them wait 30 days because it pretty much takes the rookie out of summer league. But 10 million is a big help in matching salary. So in the case of actually landing the 2nd pick and moving it, looks like any deal would not be finalized until August.....which is no big deal for us.

e_blazer likes this.
  11. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

I think there are a ton of deals that could be finalized on draft night, before draft night and anytime between the draft and July 30th. Our team has the salaries to match max and even some supermax contracts, so I don't think they will sit on a pick until July 30th because I think the team has to know in which direction it's headed by the time free agency starts. If the team is going into a youth rebuild then they likely will not re-sign Jerami. If the team can't get what they consider fair value for the pick before free agency starts and likely at or before the draft then it should be trying to maximize the return on Dame by securing picks where they are at in this draft. I just don't think there is time for waffling this off season and that the decision as far as what direction the team is going in needs to be made way before July 30th.

12. Pinwheel1

I am not suggesting waiting until July 30th to make the deal, I am suggesting they make the deal on draft night, knowing it can't be finalized for another month. Isn't that done all the time....or do we risk the chance of someone like Toronto reneging on the deal?

13. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

The only time I remember it being successfully done like that was when the Cavs acquired Love from the Wolves and there was a ton of consternation from fans and players on both sides, also supposedly sourced reports that the Wolves were able to leverage the position they had put the Cavs in during that month and a half between the time that they agreed to the deal in principle and when the deal was made in reality. A lot of stories about the Wolves possibly reneging and that the initial price agreed on for Love was a bit lower than the package the Wolves eventually landed... and that was with Klutch pulling all kinds of strings behind the scenes for LeBron.

Our situation, like I said is time sensitive. So we can't have a maybe going into free agency. The thing that is done all of the time is a deal on draft night that isn't completed until the new league year starts but is called into the league office on draft night. The league allows that, so those deals can be essentially locked in but not officially talked about for like a week. The league does not allow two teams to call in a trade that won't be completed for over a month, it has to be called in when official unless it's a draft night deal that just has to wait for the new league year to start to become official.

I don't think Dame would feel cool with that uncertainty. I don't think Jerami would re-sign with that sort of uncertainty hanging over the whole thing, I don't think it would be wise for us to re-sign Jerami if we don't know that we're for sure going to be able to retain Dame. This off season seems far too tenuous and really important to try and pull off something that has rarely been done and in itself creates another tenuous situation.

14. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Only after they sign. Rookie contracts can't be traded until 30 days after they are signed.

Sign ~July 2
    Trade ~ August 2

15. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Agree, i don't see any way Grant would re-sign to stay if that awful situation came about. Even thinking about said situation is cringe worthy to me. Hurts my heart.

blazerkor likes this.
  16. inconceivable

inconceivable Well-Known Member

I sure don't envy Cronin

17. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

How is he being loyal when he’s telling the Blazer GM to do what he wants, or else?
    He’s leveraging his “loyalty” in a very ugly manner in my opinion.
    The idea that Lillard is telling the organization that they can’t add another Shaedon Sharpe to the roster is disgusting.
    Just be a man and ask for a trade.
    He’s setting up Cronin to be the bad guy for doing what’s best for the team. What a jackass.

18. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Not sure if I understand your point. All Dame has said is that if the Blazers want to go young, he’s going to have to make a decision about whether to ask for a trade. The choice is still the Blazers and all Dame is saying is that he may have to take your advice and ask for a trade.

19. blazerfan11

blazerfan11 Well-Known Member

Did the Blazers “go young” last offseason when they drafted Shaedon Sharpe?

This upcoming draft is filled with forwards in the 1-8 range that would fit nicely with the current roster.

But if we draft that forward, such as Jarace Walker, the Blazers need to go young and blow up the team?

20. 1 Eye Jack

1 Eye Jack Well-Known Member

Vice President for Display company
    he’s asking they put a contending team around him. He WANTS to stay a Blazer and bring championship to the Blazers! What a selfish bastard lol. Come on grab a clue he’s given everything he has to this organization. He basically said if they want to go young it’s not a direction he wants to go, I see absolutely nothing wrong with that. We should all want the same thing he wants and that’s a championship and him pushing management is what we need. If they want to go young so be it but trade him.

tykendo and e_blazer like this.