Dame and CJ

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by BlazerCaravan, Nov 6, 2015.

1. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    My brother dated his daughter. I know a couple guys that played for him, said he's a dick.

2. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

My uncle played for him and tried to convince me not to go there for basketball. I did and it was fine. He's mellowed a bit.

3. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

Those 20 games prior could have very well been just a lull in the schedule. All teams have lulls, even the Spurs, over 82 games. The lull continued after the Wes injury because why not?

I feel my idea is just as true as your's because we have no actual evidence to either scenario.

Oh there's no doubt that Olshey had plan A and B with LMA. He's said so in the past. Batum was always going to be moved. We got a young PF in Vonleh to learn behind LMA--just like LA learned behind ZBo for a year. We were always going to sign Aminu because Olshey drafted him and loves him as a player. We got Henderson to either start in case Wes asks for way too much or is a backup to Wes. We just couldn't afford or justify signing both LA and Wes to max contracts, especially with CJ in the wings.

If Olshey was telling the truth, LA approved of the Batum trade. Don't forget LA's tweet before the trade during the summer about surrounding himself with players who work harder than you. Batum probably fits that bill of taking it easy sometimes. And look at the players Olshey has brought in this summer. Ed, Aminu, Harkless, Plumlee etc all have high motors. It's not by mistake.

Our current roster setup with LA would be very, very good. As it is now we're still pretty good.

Draco and riverman like this.
  4. WillG

WillG Well-Known Member

Strongly disagree.
    With TT, their would be less movement with his black-hole iso's. He fumbles the ball and can't pass, therefore less slashing to the hoop.
    TT is a mediocre defender at best - so our defense takes a hit. Low percentage jump-shooting would return.

This is not to mention the likelihood of chemistry not being as good as it is now - with potential leadership tension - not to mention TT being a pansy influence on our young burgeoning team.

MUCH better off without him.

Red Rooster and Orion Bailey like this.
  5. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

While I agree, I wouldn't say *MUCH* better without him. Our offense works fine during the season. But come playoff time when the pace of play bogs down to Memphis type of offense, or last night's fourth quarter where the Piston's started pressing and playing some damn good defense. We will miss LA's post ups--we saw what he did against Houston when he was playing with fire. Don't kid yourself. His black-hole offense is what wins you games in the playoffs.

6. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Did the pace of play bog down for the Warriors?

7. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

At times but they're the Warriors for a reason--same with the Spurs.

8. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Do you think the team was humming offensively early last year (Memphis series), pre-injury, like it was at any point during the previous year (Houston series)?

Don't forget the Kim Hughes fiasco. Olshey clearly was not telling the truth, but that's understandable given the nature of his job. I think he was putting out fires all season and put on a good face for the public. And don't forget the speculation immediately following LMA's tweet that he may have just been talking about new teammates elsewhere.

9. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

Yeah you got me there haha

10. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Before the season, HCP said Lillard wouldn't play as well this year because all the defense would be focused on him with Aldridge not there. And yet, this season, Lillard has a career high PER of 26.4

Draco, Eastoff and Red Rooster like this.
  11. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Dame and CJ currently combine for 48.4 points a game on 46.5% shooting (42.6% 3Pt shooting). Even if we're at .500, the tandem seems strong.

Eastoff, Red Rooster and Orion Bailey like this.
  12. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Definitely. It's so much more efficient than Dame/Aldridge. Even though, we've hit a hiccup and are 4-4, I still maintain we are better than last year.

13. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

I really don't think we are "better" in terms of ultimate wins/losses this year vs last. However I do think the style of play is better in the sense of matching our personnel and hopefully improving our playoff chances in the years ahead and for us fans enjoying that style of play. I also think not having LMA and having the ball stop there is better for Lillard and our overall offense in general. I think it's a matter of internal improvement and adding a few more key pieces thru trade/FA/draft. I really don't think we will make the playoffs this year but I can't rule it out, we have a very tough stretch of games ahead, that may tell us a lot more, lets wait for 20 games before try we make too many forecasts.

Draco, Eastoff, Orion Bailey and 5 others like this.
  14. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Yea wait 20 games before you make adjustment to the line up. You got Henderson coming back that might effect Crabbe but been playing good last couple game. You got Harkless that also been playing decent. Plus give them time to see if Dame and CJ will work out and I not really big on playing two small guard as starters. Lot teams have try it but not very successful. But we will see the thing is this coach shouldn't afraid to make change to see what works.

Red Rooster likes this.
  15. HomerLovesKoolAid

HomerLovesKoolAid I have a well-known member.

No surprise here. We should be used to HCP being wrong.

Draco likes this.
  16. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

So, just did a quick stat lookup regarding CJ/Dame's combined scoring this year. Currently, they're averaging a combined 45.8 ppg, which is basically their median as well--8 games combining for 45+, 8 games under 45 combined.

In the 8 games in which they've broken the 45 point plateau, we're 7-1
    In the 8 games in which they've combined for under 45 points, we're 0-8

BBert, Orion Bailey, Draco and 5 others like this.
  17. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Yup. It's either feast or famine. That just shows the lack of scoring on our team.

Draco, BlazerCaravan and Red Rooster like this.
  18. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Good work there Platypus. I think this shows the team is 3rd solid score away from being a middle of the road playoff team, and 1 17-23 ppg scorer from being a really good team.

19. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Exactly. There can be no debate that we need a third scorer, whether developed, drafted, traded, or signed.

Draco likes this.
  20. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

At this point, I wouldn't even be picky, but ideally a really solid power forward would be nice. Or maybe Cousins