Dame in Milwaukee thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Sep 29, 2023.

1. Everything Beagle

Everything Beagle Well-Known Member

Time to trade Giannis and Dame to Portland for picks!

Phatguysrule and SlyPokerDog like this.
  2. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    I heard Fentress and Haynes are coming in to speak about how to depart your team.

kjironman1 likes this.
  3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Nah they're going to talk about how much better the Miami offer was.

PCmor7 likes this.
  4. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

I was just having a discussion over on the Suns board. It got me thinking that Portland may have gotten screwed with the picks received in the Dame trade.

The new CBA (July '23) states that if a team is over the 2nd apron for 3 of the last 5 years - their pick automatically gets moved to the end of the first round.

The first time that can happen is for the '26 draft (23/24, 24/25, & 25/26). It would also immediately impact the '27 and '28 draft picks.

Portland received swaps with MIL in '28 and '30 and also the MIL '29 and BOS '29 picks.

Both BOS and MIL were over the second apron in 23/24. Both are likely going to be over the second in 24/25. Projecting too much further out is really difficult to do, but I'd put it as a real possibility that one/both teams cross the second apron a third time before the '28 season.

Definitely a risk here that I didn't see/realize before. Thoughts?

***EDIT*** -> I think MIL just barely ducked the 2nd apron by $500k. I guess it depends upon if the league uses the "Active" cap versus the "Cap Hold" numbers.

5. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    I would think that wouldn't apply to picks already traded before this goes into effect, otherwise you'll have teams who aren't penalized, being penalized

PtldPlatypus and SharpesTriumph like this.
  6. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I didn't think of that either. Not sure it will be an issue....maybe. The cap/aprons will be increasing by 10%/year (aprons maybe more) when the new media deals start in 2025-26. I can't imagine Milwaukee going all in on their aging roster. Boston may though

7. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

that would be an interesting question to ask somebody who is a CBA expert. I'm not sure if Larry Coon is even paying attention anymore. He hasn't posted any revisions or update to his CBA FAQ since a year before the new CBA started last summer

SharpesTriumph and kjironman1 like this.
  8. CJ_is_Gone

I see more fairness issues (league wide) if they did NOT move the pick to the end of 1st round.

When a team accepts a future pick in a trade, you are gambling on how good that team will be. Sometimes the pick is late 20's other times it's lotto. That goes into the calculus of if you accept the trade.

With the league wanting to penalize the big tax teams - making their future picks worth less in trade value would accomplish this.

Also think of all the teams that would otherwise get one pick lower if the league did not apply the rule to traded picks... I think the impacted teams would be upset

9. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly positive the league can not do anything to traded picks. Since we currently own the picks, or options on the picks, the only adjustment would be to their picks after we made our decision to swap or not.

Last edited: May 10, 2024
    Phatguysrule and julius like this.
  10. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    But then they could say they're being unfairly punished for another teams missteps. I'm sure there would be repercussions to the league for doing this to teams that played by the rules.

I would bet the scenario would be like this.

Portland can swap picks with the Bucks in Year X. The Bucks pick is #4, and the Blazers is #19. Once the Blazers make the switch, the Bucks pick now goes to #30, and the Blazers pick (formerly the Bucks pick) stays at #4.

And if their pick is owed to another team, their pick stays at it's normal position and the next possible pick for them is dumped off to the end of the draft.

Otherwise, what punishment does the offending team get?

You've been a repeat offended for X years, so your pick is the last pick in the draft!

"Ha! our draft pick this year isn't even ours! So you're screwing over Portland, not us!"

Yeah, that's fair.

RR7 likes this.
  11. CJ_is_Gone

After reviewing some posts over at Realgm - someone had the text of the CBA.
    https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?p=112918367#p112918367

It appears that teams over the 2nd Akron in '24/25 season gets their '32 pick (7-years out) frozen. If the team is over the apron in 2 if the subsequent 4 seasons -> then that pick in '32 moves to the end of the first round.

They can 'unfreeze' and remove the penalty by being below the 2 apron for sufficient time.

So the takeaways
    1) does not impact picks already traded
    2) earliest pick this may effect is '32
    3) teams can have their frozen picks stack up (ie - '32, '33, & '34 picks)

12. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

As Julius said, this wouldn't apply to Milwaukee 2028-2030 picks, it would apply to seasons after that.

13. SharpesTriumph

It won't apply to 2029 or 2030 picks, it would be future seasons, I'm not sure about 2031 which will be eligible for trades in July.

14. SharpesTriumph

Yes this aligns with other things I've read, frozen or picks moved to the back of the draft have no impact to 2028-2030 picks we've acquired.

Certainly something GMs will need to take into account once those picks are eligible for trades.

15. SharpesTriumph

I understood conceptually the frozen picks would mean a team could never trade away a pick that might move back to the end of the draft. So a team that traded for a pick would never have to worry about a pick it acquired getting moved to the back of the draft, such picks would've never been eligible to we traded, as they were frozen.

So the only team that could have a pick moved to the back of the draft is the teams own pick when they are repeatedly above the second apron and for many years prior had that pick frozen.

I'm not 100% sure of the above but that was my understanding and assumptions from reviewing the new cba in detail last summer.

Sounds like it's expected a team will never stay above that second apron for that many consecutive seasons as there are so many penalties, but we'll just have to see.

16. SharpesTriumph

I think I created a thread somewhere of the new cba when it was released, it's a big 1000+ page PDF out there somewhere but it's freely available for anyone to download and read.

17. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Giannis in a recent interview said this off season he will spend a lot of time in Portland with Dame not just working out but hanging together...get Giannis to fall in love with Portland and see what happens down the road.

18. SharpesTriumph

Actually a great point, if Milwaukee many years from now did decide to pivot and rebuild the #1 team they'd explore trades with is the one that controls 3 years of their picks.

19. Everything Beagle

Everything Beagle Well-Known Member

lol sleeper agent Dame slowly recruiting Giannis to old man hang out with the kiddos in Portland I like that take

riverman and Phatguysrule like this.
  20. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

Dame, Sharpe, Giannis, Grant, Ayton starting lineup?

Not sure how you make the salaries match, but...