Dame makes 2nd team All NBA

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, May 26, 2016.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I think some of you need to come around to the idea that Crabbe and Leonard will probably get between 10-15 million per year. Harkless is a tougher one to predict, but I could see him between 8-10 million per year.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Boy I just hope that we aren't the team that offers either of them between 10-15. Harkless on the other hand has a chance to be a pretty damn good rotation guy.

Strenuus likes this.
  3. Natebishop3

3 and D shooting guards are valuable. I would match on Crabbe. Just look at the contract that Danny Green got with the Spurs.

Leonard.... well...... I hate to lose assets for nothing, but man that guy pushes it.

4. Mediocre Man

I like Crabbe, don't get me wrong. But wow is that a lot of money. I think I'd rather pick up a vet or two towards the end of their careers that can offer virtually the same for the vet minimum

5. JFizzleRaider

JFizzleRaider Sad Panda Global Moderator

Who can offer the same for the vet minimum?

6. Mediocre Man

Someone like Dudley, or yes, I'm saying it, Bayless?

Not saying either are as good, but for the money it might be a better option. Crabbe is a role player.

7. Natebishop3

That's the problem though. How many shooting guards are in the league who can replicate what he does, and how much do they cost?

8. Mediocre Man

I think Crabbe is a nice role player, but honestly, I'd rather have two nice vets, maybe one offensive and one defensive guy for the same price as 1 Crabbe. He's a nice player, but not a 10-15 a year nice

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  9. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

10-15 in the new cap is equivalent to 7-10.5 mil in the current cap. Think a 24 yr old, improving AC who plays 25-30 mpg is worth that.

An average starter will prolly make about 15-18 mil.

The new realities, man.

BlazerCaravan and Natebishop3 like this.
  10. Natebishop3

What you're missing is that he has a very low cap hold. So we can wait, use our cap space, and then match whatever someone throws at him. He's an asset. We're going to be over the cap anyway, with Dame and CJ and some of our other young guys, so what difference does it make?

HolyBackboard and Orion Bailey like this.
  11. Mediocre Man

Ya, could be my brain hasn't caught up with salary reality yet

12. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Ill fully admit. Its a struggle. Im still struggling with the numbers...ITs pretty insane.

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  13. HolyBackboard

HolyBackboard 2 Hot 2 Stop It

With CJ's extension in 2017, we're likely going to have little to no cap room next offseason. Combine the fact that we can match any offer on AC and his cap hold is so minimal, I'd match nearly any offer.

riverman and Orion Bailey like this.
  14. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

If Crabbe/Leonard get $10-15M offers then match it. Matching makes more sense than signing an aging vet because we could trade Crabbe/Leonard for another similarly valued player, whereas you can't get any trade value out of a VETMIN contract. It's not like teams who want C/L for $15M this summer will suddenly NOT want them on that same contract at the trade deadline - young players don't lose value that quickly. If they don't live up to those contracts it won't be until Year 2 - at the earliest - that they'll be perceived as albatrosses. We need all the assets we can get, and that means (expensive) young players not (cheap) past-their-prime has-beens or never-weres.

15. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

If you sign Crabbe, you're basically signing up to Dame/CJ/Crabbe as the backcourt of the next 4 years, because someone will offer him 4yrs@8 figures/yr. :dunno:

An interesting option may be to do whatever we're going to do, and then depending on how MIN sees Lavine (whether as a big PG, combo guard or all-time 2) is to S&T Crabbe to the Timberwolves for Rubio. The salaries (assuming Crabbe makes ~10M/yr starting) will be within above-cap range, and we both balance out our rosters a bit. Right now (draft notwithstanding) MIN has Tyus Jones, Lavine and Rubio all at the "1", and the next tier of guys is the Wiggins/Shabazz monster at the 3. Right now one of them (or Lavine) has to play the 2 but they both shoot 30% or less from 3.

Rubio, for all his faults (and high among them is shooting, though he did shoot 33% from 3 last year--39% after the ASB) is still a gifted passer and defender*. As a 2nd-unit guy he can put our bigs in position to get easy buckets, while pushing whichever of Dame or CJ is in the game off the ball if they want-- a measure the teams talked about after Game 2 and Stotts did for Dame during Game 3 vs. the Clips (his best game in Round 1). During 2013-14/14-15, when Lillard has played about 1/4 of his time at "SG", his +/-s have been much higher than this year (or his rookie year).

Anyway, it might be interesting, and Rubio's still just 25--well within "Dame's Window". Crabbe has potential, but Crabbe at ~10-14M a year seems a luxury, when we will likely go after a big in Free Agency. Having Dame/CJ/Rubio taking up 96 minutes at the 1/2, combined with Aminu and Davis sticking around, gives us a lot of flexibility with FA focusing on the 3/4/5--whether miracles like Durant or Horford, maybe-fits like Whiteside or Howard or "solid" guys like Marvin, Batum, Hibbert, Al Jefferson, etc. Focusing there seems more interesting than going after the Rondo/Gordon/Jennings of the world

*John Meyer: I’m sure Rubio won’t get all All-Defensive votes (record/team D woes) but he’s 1st in DRPM among PGs (1.96) + 2nd in steals per game (2.09).
    2 months ago – via Twitter thedailywolf

Red Rooster, Shaboid and BBert like this.
  16. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Not at all - just retaining assets so we have them to make trades with.

17. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

or, see if PHI will take an S&T'd Leonard for Noel.

Red Rooster likes this.
  18. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

I feel like with Crabbe there is a fine line between retaining an asset and overpaying a guy. I agree that with his length, defensive upside and ability to shoot the ball he can be an important piece moving forward.

riverman likes this.
  19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Crabbe has pretty much said money wouldn't lure him from Portland and if he can get a solid contract with Olshey, I'll bet he's back on a friendly deal. Leonard wants to get paid...if either guy takes the money...it's going to be Meyers. Cuban would probably overpay Meyers as Dirk is getting older now.

20. anonymous gambler

anonymous gambler Member

That would make me a lifetime Philly fan! lol.

JFizzleRaider likes this.