Dame named as Top 75 Player

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by OneSport3, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Look I may disagree with you, but honestly I hope you just reply to this for reasons.

2. Bingo Bango

Bingo Bango Well-Known Member

Huh?

3. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

Alex English belongs there too

THE HCP and Bingo Bango like this.
  4. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

Not that it matters, but I'd switch out Klay for Westbrook. Sure Russ has put up insane stats and is one of the best run jump athletes the league has ever seen, but he's also a choker in crunch time, has a game that doesn't mesh well with others & is a royal prick on the court. If sports is in the entertainment business, he's one of the most painfully entitled watches I've endured. He'll typically physically dominate lesser talents (and then flex on them) while screaming all night long at the refs, but then always royally spits the bit in the big game... seriously why celebrate that?

Conversely Thompson seems to be the super competitive yet cool cucumber/assassin type . He's one of the best catch and shoot players ever with uber efficiency, a high release point and range. As a premier spread the court player, his game compliments any style of play and contributes to winning hoops (see rings). Though the skills are different, I put him as a top shelf Robin along side Pippen, McHale & Worthy. His well above average D puts him ahead of shooters Pierce, Reggie & Ray for me too, but Westbrook... see ya. I would have had to take a hiatus from Blazer fandom if he'd spent his career here. I'm actually pleased that he's finishing up back home.

STOMP

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  5. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

For Manu to make the basketball hall of fame yes that is impressive.

For him to make the NBA best 75 all time.... no, international ball is irrelevant.

I still believe his NBA only resume is clearly above Westbrook. The problem is some people value empty stats for losing teams.

6. SharpesTriumph

He was the 4th best player on a team that lost an NBA finals.

Should Mikal Bridges make the team too?

7. SharpesTriumph

And I don't hate Westbrook. He's was entertaining as heck with his physicality in his 20s. But that doesn't mean he was a championship level winning basketball player.

When he tried to show up Dame it was basically free points he gave the Blazers and let them easily win in 5 games.

I'd much rather have had Tony Parke if I was constructing a team to win an NBA finals. He'll even Terry Porter, or a dozen PGs not on the top 75 list.

8. SharpesTriumph

Beer pong championship?

9. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

And that's where the argument begins to unravel.

10. KSF-ERIC

KSF-ERIC Well-Known Member

Case for Dame besides overall numbers:

Had three 60 point games in one (shortened) season.

Has the record for most 3s made in a playoff game.

In that game, it was maybe the greatest individual playoff performance of all time. People don’t go off for 55 & 10 in playoff games while shooting like that. Maybe Jordan’s 63 point game?

Hit 2 iconic playoff series winning buzzer beaters. Only Jordan has matched that and one of them isn’t that memorable.

McGrady, Hill, and Carter pale in comparison….

handiman likes this.
  11. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Reasons.

12. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    I think Dame is in the same category as Reggie Miller. You look at what they actually achieved for their team and it's a little hard to justify. But there's definitely a "fun factor" with some of these guys. Dwight Howard wasn't selected because he was kind of obnoxious and was easy to dislike. Same with Vince Carter and the way he exited Toronto.

Everybody who saw it remembers how fun it was to see Reggie go against New York, and although I can't stand him he's obviously loved by many for his broadcasting.

Every single NBA fan associates Dame with series-winning shots against Houston and the Thunder. He's charismatic and his brand is all about loyalty and being real, and that matters. It's fun watching him hit from the logo, and Dame Time is must watch TV.

The reason the league didn't just go with an algorithmic system in picking the best of the best was because there should be an element of entertainment value included. Not the most important factor, but certainly a factor when you get around the 70th spot.

Sports has always been that way. When playing pickup, if two guys are pretty close, you always picked the guy you liked more, didn't you? Isiah Thomas was clearly an elite player, but not a top 3 player. He got left off the Dream Team because he just wasn't liked.

Jordan was an even bigger asshole, but he was of course on the team because he was Jordan. I don't care how tight I am with my best friend, I'm not picking him first at the Y if there's 3 other guys who are vastly superior.

Personality should count around the margins, but talent matters far more.

I think that's one of the big appeals of sports. In real life you can often get by on personality quite a bit and talent matters at the margins. That guy who sucks up to the boss gets the promotion, even if he's a fuckup behind the scenes.

But at least the NBA is a true meritocracy, right? Nope.

Even the NBA has wiggle room. The list reflects that. And I can definitely see how it pisses some off, because we all are entertained for different reasons, and some of us feel it should be strictly about merit.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    handiman likes this.
  13. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

If you watched the Suns vs the Lakers last night you now understand why Dwight Howard was left off that list. There is more to basketball and being considered a great player than being named DPOY three times.

BlazerBeav likes this.
  14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

when did Orlando win a championship?

15. Bingo Bango

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

16. Bingo Bango

They didn’t. My fault. Howard got them all the way to the championship series, another thing Lillard hasn’t done.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    Orion Bailey likes this.
  17. ehizzy3

ehizzy3 RIP mgb

I don’t see how Klay doesn’t make the list but whatever

18. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

It's your profile pic. He's talking about your profile pic. He likes when you reply to things because it's another reason to see it. :sigh:

wizenheimer likes this.
  19. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

ehizzy3 and Orion Bailey like this.
  20. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

I just popped in to post the ESPN article about that...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...-klay-thompson-snub-nba-75th-anniversary-team

I personally don't see Klay as being on that [top-75] level. Elite shooter, versatile defender, but not much more than a catch-and-shoot guy. Can't really create offense for himself and is lousy around the basket. He'd be a great addition to any team, but you don't build a team around him.

Fairly-Hard and Wizard Mentor like this.