Dame wants to play with Simmons

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Labinot41, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Billups press conference after the game was interesting. Someone asked him about Cronin, and he said he’s actually been in constant communication with him lately, talking about the roster. Sounds like Chauncey has a lot of opinions about it and they’re getting heard. I get the sense there’s gonna be changes coming, maybe sooner than later.

Towards the end

2. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

The more I think about it, why would Morey trade Simmons for CJ & some? He will end up getting a much better fit for his team before the deadline I bet. He will get a lengthy, athletic younger wing that can shoot that just my gut feel. If he was that high on CJ a deal would have been done but he's betting on himself that he can do better when things start to heat up before trade deadline. Thats been his strategy from day 1. He went on record that he wanted Dame, what he was doing , was proclaiming you want Ben now and keep me from waiting, penny up.

3. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Will he get a better fit? I'm not so sure. I think the longer it goes , the less compensation he gets. I don't think teams are clamoring for Simmons right now. Except maybe the Blazers who have enough dynamic scoring guards to be able to best utilize Simmons abilities while being able to absorb his shooting deficiencies.

Idog1976 likes this.
  4. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Simmons is a good player, but Morey needs to stop pretending like he’s not a deeply flawed player in his own right. Like what’s the value of a guy that probably shouldn’t even be on the court late in games? Both Simmons and CJ have major flaws. One is younger so Portland should give more than just CJ, but the gap between the two really isn’t that great.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  5. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

We will see. I dont want to lose Dame at all, but I didnt want to sell my classic 57 Chevy either. My wife need a new car and I agreed to sell it get her car, but Im buying a new boat. Done

6. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

id say the gap between the two is pretty big

simmons is 3x all-star, 2x nba all defensive first team, all nba third team, dpoy caliber player, playmaker & rebounder

cj mccollum is a really good scorer (but not a great one) and thats the only thing hes better at than simmons and he offers nothing else (he can create for others a little bit, when hes willing to do so)

7. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Lots to unpack here.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...t-more-changes-after-portland-execs-dismissal

Over the weekend, Lillard, Billups and Cronin sat down for their first organized meeting, according to one source with knowledge of the situation, to discuss the next steps for a franchise that has greater visions than struggling to make the playoffs. Cronin is considered well-liked and respected among Blazers staffers, yet like many cap-savvy strategists promoted to the big chair before him, he has not had extensive, direct dealings with other teams' top brass.

8. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

Might have to use Chauncey's connections around the league if we want to make a deal? Maybe that will give us an idea at if he would be a decent GM/Coach, even if I don't think that is a good idea.

Idk, it seems like making a deal that improves the team is going to is going to be an uphill battle. Fingers are still crossed.

9. illmatic99

10. illmatic99

i would not have done CJ + 3 picks for Holiday.

that is a ridiculous ask.

11. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Sounds like McCollum knows he's finally on the trading block.

Still, it takes two to tango, and I find it hard to construct any deals around CJ without massively overpaying. Even McCollum + 3 1sts for Holiday is too rich for my blood. But it sounds like that was the initial offer and we probably could have negotiated it down to two 1sts or one 1st and 2 seconds or something. Maybe add Ant or Little.

Idog1976 likes this.
  12. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

It sounds like the initial offer by NO. They could have worked on it if a framework was there and there was enough interest in a deal. Same with the 3 1sts + 3 swaps + CJ for Simmons. Never going to happen, but they could have worked on it if there was real interest.

13. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Yeah, not saying Holiday isn't a good player, but he was in essence traded for Eric Bledsoe and 3 picks.

CJ is better than Bledsoe.

Idog1976 likes this.
  14. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

CJ is a fantastic talent. But i think he needs a change of scenery. And i think it could prove to heighten his status as a top guard. I think with Philly he would become an All Star. I love CJ, but it's not working, and i think both he, and the franchise , are holding each other back from achieving more. But he's not some sort of bum, never has been. And i consider him an Oregonian as much as anyone. I hope when his career finishes up, he stays forever.

GoBlazersGo and tiredhunter like this.
  15. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

16. illmatic99

it was CJ + 3 picks for Holiday, not the other way around, and NO is reeling from that move still.

17. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Good point. I just went back and re-read it.

18. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...-search-shape-future-franchise-damian-lillard

This is Woj so this information is coming directly from Olshey. States some key facts:

1.) Billups was Olshey's hire (duh), but not Lillard's first choice.
    2.) Dame WANTED to trade CJ for Simmons, and was willing to mortgage the franchise's future to do so.
    3.) Olshey was hesitant on giving Dame the supermax extension.

Now Olshey is gone. Could 2 and 3 happen? I think the new GM would have to be onboard with 3 for Dame not to request out. For 2, could Cronin/whoever the real GM be actually trade our entire warchest for Simmons?

19. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Dame said in the offseason that he wanted to play with Oubre ....that could be done without Simmons complications...the Hornets would suit CJ pretty well.

20. illmatic99

reading tea leaves and now seeing that Luka apparently wants to play with Simmons, Simmons immediately liking the post about Dame's supposed desire, and Dame's reaction to the initial report on Monday, etc etc, I get the feeling all this is just Klutch leaking shit to Shams. They're simply trying to get their guy moved and are putting pressure on Morey while making Ben appear more desirable.

TBpup and Natebishop3 like this.