Dame's career arc

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Natebishop3, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

It still took George about 3 years to really find his groove. It's not so much George that I'm pushing for, it's that I think we need more firepower in general. If it takes Collins three years to become a star, that puts Dame at 30 and going into his final season of this contract.

2. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter

and?

Paul George would probably leave next year, and that puts Damian at 28 without much of a supporting cast, and where does that leave his window?

Now if he has a Meyers Leonard/Jake Layman/Pat Connaughton type rookie year + 2nd year, I could see this being an issue.

EL PRESIDENTE and BonesJones like this.
  3. Driew

Driew Well-Known Member

But I don't think NO thinks it's worth it for a one year rental if we could instead draft a star for multiple years unless it was for like two second round picks).

4. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

I don't understand why some people are convinced rookies are going to take 3, 4, 5 years to contribute. It's not a rule. The properly good ones are quite often good 1-2 years from coming into the league.

Dougnsalem, julius and Orion Bailey like this.
  5. Destroyer of Worlds

Destroyer of Worlds Active Member

Good thing we didn't draft middl of the road.

6. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Like everyone.

Fuck no, Klay and Draymond aren't on max deals. They both make less than Evan Turner. Kevin Durant is the only one on their roster that makes more than Allen Crabbe and even he took a bit less than the max to sign with them last summer, with the ability to opt out and get the real max this summer.

And then there are the ring chasing vets like Zaza and David West who are playing for peso on the dollar to get a ring.

BNM

7. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

Trading for PG for one year is stupid. It'll just bring us to where we are right now in a year while losing assets that we'd need to include. I mean there's a chance he would stay in Portland but its very very doubtful.

If you want to get other allstars, gotta name some. unfortunately they usually rhyme with Smarmello Cranthony.

8. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

9. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    And it's been reported that Durant isn't even going to demand the max this off-season--he's going to accept a one-year deal for 120% of his previous salary, which is an exception so the Warriors can first sign their other guys (like Iguodala and Livingston) before going over the cap to sign Durant and Curry. Curry will be the only player on a true max this off-season, though Durant will be close.

10. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Dame was good and contributed out of the gate. Then continued to improve. CJ just needed a healthy foot and one year, and for us to get rid of Mo Williams. And he's continued to improve. Nurk looked pretty good to me after we picked him up in what, his second season? He will definitely continue to improve.

So, I agree. Our cornerstones showed they were starters within a year or two of entering the league. Collins is young, but if he's the real deal we should have some idea of that by the end of his first season. We'll see.

:cheers:

11. Blazers Roy

Blazers Roy Well-Known Member

I kinda think we could have bagged Butler.
    The Wolves gave them a pick swap and two potential starters who may suck balls.

We could have offered them: Monk\Jackson + Harkless + Crabbe + 26th pick (+ future protected pick?:dunno:) and they get to keep their own pick.

But fuck the Bulls, fucking clown show like the Kings. Who knows what these idiots want.

12. Natebishop3

What was Klay and Draymond's max contract when they signed? They were signing post-rookie contracts before the cap went up.

Green signed a 5 year, $85 million contract back in 2015. That sounds strikingly like a max contract for a guy coming off his rookie contract prior to the cap going up.

13. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    Both signed below their theoretical max. Not way below, but I think Green's max was closer to $90M. That's my recollection of the reporting at the time, anyway.

14. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

For players with 0-6 years experience who resigned with their current team in 2015 the maximum contract was $94,340,250 over 5 years.

So, Green basically gave the Warriors a 10% home team discount when he resigned with them.

BNM

15. Natebishop3

At the time of his signing though, he wasn't the star that he is today. I remember thinking, Draymond who? His stats were solid after the 2014-2015 season, but they were hardly worth 85 million.

11.7 points, 8.2 boards, 3.7 assists, 1.6 steals, and 1.3 blocks. Very very solid.... but worth 85 million? And then the next season he doubled his assist average and put up 14 ppg, 7.4 assists, 9.5 boards, and 1.5 steals/1.4 blocks.

16. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

Will I don't see us to attempt any trading is when the FA signing slow to a crawl. Then Olshey will know where other teams are on there cap space.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  17. ripcityboy

ripcityboy Well-Known Member

self employed
    My hope is that they get somebody desperate with some free cap space. Crabbe would probably the best candidate for a move. Turner but we'd have to get a player equally bad.

18. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

It can be equally bad but shorter time like expiring contract after next season.

19. Sarni

Sarni Well-Known Member

LaVine is comfortably rated much higher than anyone we could have offered bar the big three (and I'm not even sure they would value him over Nurkic) and Dunn was a no. 5 pick a year ago and despite being disappointing in his first year, he should still have some decent value around the league. They fecked up the no. 7 pick but with players like Dennis Smith and Malik Monk available, it still had significant value.

Whole the price was low, nothing we would have offered would have come close.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  20. Sweetriverphil

Sweetriverphil Well-Known Member

Also, Jimmy Butler is a big fan of not having the ball. Which is good because our two guards love having the ball and this is sarcasm.

Shaboid likes this.