Dampier Rumor...

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Kwan1031, Aug 17, 2004.

1. hipokrat_x(LV)

hipokrat_x(LV) JBB JustBBall Member

That is max that U could get 4 Dampier! Najera and Latner could fit nice in Mantgomery team. + 2 future 1st round picks could be the big ticket here! That's lotery - u never know what u will get. Like x-mas!

2. meshgearfox

meshgearfox JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">That is max that U could get 4 Dampier! Najera and Latner could fit nice in Mantgomery team. + 2 future 1st round picks could be the big ticket here! That's lotery - u never know what u will get. Like x-mas!</div>

You must be lovin' Jasikavicus right now.

You gonna root for the Warriors now that we got the Latvian Tim Duncan?

3. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

I have to say fellas, I AM PUMPED! I love this trade for SEVERAL reasons.

1. Najera will be the next Custodian for the next 4 years, guaranteed! He played for OU a few years ago when I was stationed at Tinker AFB, OK. I have watched him play. He is a great hustle player. He can bang down low, pick up garbage rebounds, hit the three. He is the mexican custodian. haha. He will be an instant fan favorite.

2. My wife is in love with Najera. She would come to games with me and cheer a little bit. But now that Najera is on our team, she will be a fan just like me. She is from OK and OU is her whole family's favorite team.

3. We get 2, count them 2 first round draft picks. That is cool too.

4. $3,000,000 in cap space.

5. Laetner. He is a solid back up for Dunleavy. Remember, he used to be an all star. Both are Dukies, they will be able to help each other and compliment each other's game. If Dun goes down, you got his clone in L8.

6. We lose Esch's contract, and Dickau who for some reason is not happy about being here.

From 1-10, this trade is a 8 IMO, the only way it rates better is if we got Shaq for Damp...

4. kobeonfire

kobeonfire JBB JustBBall Member

^ I agree with everything you said warriorsfan, except the part about Laettner. Although he used to be a very good player, from what I had seen of him the past 2-3 years the entirety of his game had been reduced to open perimeter jump shots and not much else. Granted, he can hit them sometimes, but I don't think he's as good as you say.

This trade is still a very good one for the Warriors, I was as excited as everyone else is about getting Najera and the 2 first round picks. Mullin isn't as stupid as everyone first thought he was, huh? First we find out that Foyle's contract was nowhere as big as was initially reported, and now instead of taking bad deals from NY or Indiana, he held out and got a very good offer for Damp.

5. Mister Jennings

Mister Jennings JBB JustBBall Member

Great trade, we free up 15 to 20 mil in cap space next year, people are not going to like to play against us, we are full of scrappy players who get right up into your face on Defense. I hated both Fisher and Najera, fisher because he was a Laker and would get all the calls on d, and Najera because he was dirty and really got under people's skin, now I love em! Our bench may be the best in game, for sure defensively. We also get Luis Flores, who probably has more upside than Dickau.

6. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Here are the stats from the players that will be involved in this deal:

The Warriors would get . . .

Eduardo Najera, 6-8 F: Averaged 3.0 points and 12.4 minutes per game off the bench for Dallas last season.

Christian Laettner, 6-11 C/F: Averaged 5.9 points and 4.8 rebounds in 20.5 minutes per game for the Mavericks.

Dallas would get . . .

Erick Dampier, 6-11 C: Averaged 12.3 points for Warriors last season and was fourth in NBA with 12.0 rebounds per game.

Evan Eschmeyer, 6-11 C: Didn't play last season because of knee injuries; has three years and $10 million remaining on contract.

Dan Dickau, 6-0 G: Warriors acquired bench player from Portland in trade last month.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews.../9430184.htm?1c

7. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting kobeonfire:</div><div class="quote_post">^ I agree with everything you said warriorsfan, except the part about Laettner. Although he used to be a very good player, from what I had seen of him the past 2-3 years the entirety of his game had been reduced to open perimeter jump shots and not much else. Granted, he can hit them sometimes, but I don't think he's as good as you say.

</div>

The good thing about L8 though is his contract comes off the books next year...

8. Warriorfansnc93

Najera can d it up too fellas dont forget about that...

9. Windmill360?

Windmill360? JBB JustBBall Member

Najera was one of my fav players at the AAC. I was definatley a fan favorite. He is a good hustler and many times I could hear the chant of "Eddie!, Eddie!" when he stepped onto the floor. I'm sure he will become a favorite in Oakland.

10. SanQuinn

SanQuinn JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mister Jennings:</div><div class="quote_post">We also get Luis Flores, who probably has more upside than Dickau.</div>

Did we really get Luis Flores? Where did you hear this?

11. Mister Jennings

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SanQuinn:</div><div class="quote_post">Did we really get Luis Flores? Where did you hear this?</div>

The Merc

Dampier to be dealt to Dallas

Tim Kawakami

Mercury News Staff Columnist

That's a nice little salary-laundering deal Warriors executive Chris Mullin has going with the Dallas Mavericks these days.

Just when it looked like there was no workable sign-and-trade deal to be made for frustrated free agent Erick Dampier, Mullin picked up the phone, dialed the 214 area code and voila.

If Dampier can agree to a decent contract with Dallas (and he would be a fool not to), Dampier, Evan Eschmeyer and Dan Dickau will be traded to the Mavs for Eduardo Najera, Christian Laettner, second-round pick Luis Flores, multiple future No. 1 picks and $3 million.

The deal, reported widely Tuesday and confirmed to the Mercury News by a Warriors source, cannot be completed immediately because NBA rules prohibit a player from being traded more than once in a two-month window. Both Laettner and Dickau have been traded within the past two months.

Some important things to know about this deal:

1. As he did with Antawn Jamison, Danny Fortson and Chris Mills last summer, Mullin is moving huge long-term money to Dallas without giving up significant talent or acquiring any gruesome long-term commitments in return.

And, as he did with Cliff Robinson and Dale Davis in previous deals, Mullin strategically acquired a medium-sized contract (Laettner's $6.2 million) that will expire at the end of this season, just in time to go free-agent hunting next summer.

Together, the expiring contracts of Robinson, Davis and Laettner will erase more than $20 million from the Warriors' cap without touching the young base of talent.

2. Mullin waited out the jibes from New York, avoided taking the kind of horrid salaries that the New York Knicks and Memphis Grizzlies were trying to force on him and got something useful for Dampier, who could've left for nothing.

He didn't get a ton for Dampier, who opted out of the remaining two years of his Warriors deal to become a free agent. But Mullin got something.

Najera, an energy frontcourt player to replace Brian Cardinal (only without the shooting skills), is due $17.6 million over the next four seasons -- much less than Cardinal will be paid over the same period in his free-agent deal with Memphis.

A side question: Mullin drafted big forward Andris Biedrins, still has Robinson, and traded for Najera. . . . Is Troy Murphy still his guy at power forward?

3. Many, including me, thought Mullin might never get rid of Eschmeyer's remaining three years and $10 million plus, which he had to take last summer in the Jamison-Fortson-Mills/Nick Van Exel deal.

Well, Mullin moved Eschmeyer -- whose salary basically parallels Najera's -- and got cash and several No. 1 picks, too.

4. He has always liked Flores, a 6-foot-2 shooting guard out of Manhattan College taken with the 56th pick last April.

The end result of this? In two summers, the Warriors have gone from a marginally talented but capped-to-hell franchise to one that is still young but rid of the idiotic commitments that hindered it.

From Garry St. Jean, Mullin inherited an oddball Warriors roster full of big, bloated salaries and limited, lumpy talents.

What to do? Where to turn? Here's where: To the Mavs and their unmatchable ability to digest contracts of any size and facilitate transactions of the highest difficulty. Basically, Mullin has used Dallas to dispose of Jamison (and his maximum salary), Fortson, Mills and now Eschmeyer and Dampier.

By my estimations, those two deals have shredded $90 million to $100 million in future salary and helped the Warriors become a better team in the meantime. Even in the NBA bling-bling mania, that's a lot of dough.

Here's the roster Mullin started with, dating to Gilbert Arenas' franchise-altering decision to leave as a free agent:

Centers -- Dampier, Adonal Foyle.

Forwards -- Jamison, Murphy, Fortson, Mike Dunleavy, Mills.

Guards -- Jason Richardson, Bobby Sura, Jiri Welsch.

Salary-cap status -- Capped out into the foreseeable future.

Now, here's the current Warriors roster:

C -- Foyle, Davis.

F -- Dunleavy, Murphy, Robinson, Najera, Biedrins, Laettner, Calbert Cheaney.

G -- Richardson, Speedy Claxton, Derek Fisher, Mickael Pietrus, Flores.

Salary-cap status -- Could be $10 million to $15 million under next summer.

Of course, next summer is when Richardson and Murphy can become restricted free agents, if they don't sign long-term deals in the meantime.

Both Richardson and Murphy are represented by Dan Fegan, who was frustrated by the Warriors' negotiating stance during the Dampier talks. So don't expect Mullin to go crazy signing Richardson and Murphy to big deals any time soon.

But what St. Jean never seemed to understand is that managing your cap correctly also gives you the flexibility to sign your own players, even if they receive big offers.

Remember the Arenas mess, when the Warriors couldn't match Washington's huge deal because they were over the cap? So Arenas walked away for nothing?

That happened because the Jamison, Fortson, Dampier and Mills contracts pushed the Warriors over the cap and into no-match land.

And, thanks to Mullin's strategic planning and the assistance of his salary-laundering friends in Dallas, that won't happen again anytime soon

12. Mister Jennings

It's great, that guy was a stud in the tourney and a NY guy for Mully.

on a side note SanQuinn, I saw Andre Nickatina and Equipto a week ago in SF, it was amazing.

13. Map1986

Map1986 JBB JustBBall Member

There are more and more truth coming out that charlotte is involved and this is the trade...

charlotte trades TE
    charlotte recieves: l8ner, future 2nd from dallas or warriors(undetermind)

GSW trade: Eschmeyer, dampier
    GSW get: Najera, rights to flores, and future first from dallas via philly

Dallas trades: najera, l8ner, rights to flores and two future firsts
    Dallas recieves: Dampier, eschmeyer

2nd trade

GSW trade dickau
    Dallas trades TE

14. Mister Jennings

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Map1986:</div><div class="quote_post">There are more and more truth coming out that charlotte is involved and this is the trade...

charlotte trades TE
    charlotte recieves: l8ner, future 2nd from dallas or warriors(undetermind)

GSW trade: Eschmeyer, dampier
    GSW get: Najera, rights to flores, and future first from dallas via philly

Dallas trades: najera, l8ner, rights to flores and two future firsts
    Dallas recieves: Dampier, eschmeyer

2nd trade

GSW trade dickau
    Dallas trades TE</div>

What is TE?

15. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Mister Jennings:</div><div class="quote_post">What is TE?</div>I was wondering the same thing but didn't want to sound like a dumbass by asking.:P

16. BradB3030

BradB3030 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't really believe that...no sources back it up that I've seen

From what I can tell, this is the trade:
    Najera, Laettner, Flores, 2 firsts, and 3M
    for
    Dampier, Eschmeyer, and Dickau

and also it'll have to wait until Sept. 24 because of the "can't be traded twice in 2 months" rule

The mystery of TE...maybe they call Marvin Ely..."The Eel" or something random

17. SunshineRain

SunshineRain JBB JustBBall Member

TE = Trade Excemption (but I don't know how it works) I know the
    Mavs got a 2.7M TE in the Walker deal.

18. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Here's my take on explaining traded player exemptions (also known as trade exemption or as been abbreviated here, TE). Bear with me here.

Traded player exemptions essentially is a placeholder. In baseball, it's commonly known as "player to be determined." Only thing is in the NBA the salaries have to match up, unlike on baseball where money flies around like some hurricane. It just follows the same rules as a normal trade, so it's an amount of salary that the team that traded the larger salaries can use to get another player in a trade for. It's kind of like conserving cash over the cap but only for taking in another player in a trade. Similar to the salary cap exceptions, the traded player exception allows a team to remain above salary although only by taking in a contract via a trade. This extra salary-trade-exception lasts for a year. Since Dickau is on his rookie contract, there's no doubt he'll fit into any trade. (It does get more confusing if the salaries don't match up, becuase there are additional additions and subtractions involved, but I think I'll stop now.)

If I muddled it up too much, I can probably give a hypothetical example or something. I am a bit tired right now so I can't really think 100%.

Anyway, since Dickau is going to be so late, they probably added Charlotte in to speed up the trade (Laettner was traded back in June, so it could be done within the next week or so) and then Dickau will move in September when his 2-month trade limitation expires.

19. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Man I'm pumped about this. They also showed this report on several local news channels. Looks like it's going down for sure.

20. Map1986

Map1986 JBB JustBBall Member

TE= Trade exception, the mavs have two...one is for 1.1 million which they will use for dickau after this trade on august 24th, when l8ner can be packaged in a trade....not too sure about the carlotte rumors but as it is now the deal is:

Dampier/Eschmeyer for l8ner, najera, rights to flores. 2 firsts

and the second deal will be dickau for 1.1 million TE...