Dampier Rumor...

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Kwan1031, Aug 17, 2004.

1. hipokrat_x(LV)

hipokrat_x(LV) JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting meshgearfox:</div><div class="quote_post">You must be lovin' Jasikavicus right now.

You gonna root for the Warriors now that we got the Latvian Tim Duncan?</div>
    Is that a crime? :mrgreen: I would more call him Latvian Pao. But soon he will got his own identity + he is waorkaholic and hi says he will work as hard as he can to make the team. It is just that he says he is happy there, and everybody has postive atitude, so whay not suport GS!?

2. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hipokrat_x(LV):</div><div class="quote_post">Is that a crime? :mrgreen: I would more call him Latvian Pao. But soon he will got his own identity + he is waorkaholic and hi says he will work as hard as he can to make the team. It is just that he says he is happy there, and everybody has postive atitude, so whay not suport GS!?</div>I've never heard of Jasikavicus, but I've heard of Macijauskas from Lithuania. Which guy is he again? I know Macijauskas is a primetime shooter so dangerous on offense that he became nicknamed as "the Kalashnikov" (as in reference to the Russian AK47 assault rifle which btw stands for (Avtomat Kalashnikov 1947).

3. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

Just wanted to add my two cents since I'd been out of town for awhile. As usual, I agree with Kwan (my asian stand-in...), though I'm probably a bit more in favor of this trade than he is.

1. Laetner: As far as I'm concerned, Mullin could waive him the second the trade goes through and I wouldn't care at all. The Warriors now have a log jam at pf even without Laetner.

2. Najera: I love this guy. He's a much better option as a reserve sf/Custodian replacement than Battier. He can't shoot like Battier or Cardinal, but when he'shealthy, he plays better defense than both of them. Plus, he's more of a sf/pf than a sf/sg, so he won't take minutes away from Pietrus and Richardson the way Battier would have.

3. Eschmeyer: Getting his contract off the books is just like reducing Foyle and Fisher's contract by 1.5 mil each. It just makes those contracts much more palatable. Of course Najera's contract is for roughly the same amount as Eschmeyer's, but Najera will actually contribute next year and he fills a void at sf. Eschmeyer was just a $3 mil anchor.

4. Cheaney: The Dallas deal makes the Cheaney signing kind of surerfluous. Najera is an excellent option at back up sf/pf, and I'd rather see him in games than Cheaney. I suppose it doesn't really affect the Warriors cap situation if Cheaney only signed a one year deal, but still, if Mullin thought the Dallas deal might go through, he shouldn't have signing Cheaney. I think this Cheaney signing demonstrates a minor lack of foresight on Mullin's part. While there should be no long term affects of this mistake, it's evidence that he could make a mistake with long term consequences down the road.

Draft picks: I'm too tired to find the link (if someone requests it, I'll go find it) but one of the articles I read in either the Dallas or bay area local media said that one of the draft picks the Warriors would receive comes from Atlanta. To me, this is the main benefit of the deal.

Cash: Just so that everyone is clear, the $3 mil that the Warriors get from Dallas does NOT affect the Warriors cap number at all. All it means is that Cuban wrote Cohan a check for 3 mil. Cohan gets $3 mil of his payroll paid for by Cuban, but the $3 mil is basically irrelevant from a fan's perspective.

All in all, I'm happy with the trade. I do hate seeing Damp go to another team in the Western conference, but I'd rather have it be to the Mavs than a team like the Suns or Griz.

Also, I've always said that the reason for Damp's breakout year was that he got more touches in the post this year than in year's past. But with Terry, Finley, and Dirk on the team, I don't think Damp will get nearly as many shots as he did last year.

My guess is that unless Nelson makes sure the team keeps Damp involved on offense, there's a pretty good chance that he turns back into his pouting, uninspired self. Then again, the prospects of playing on a championship contender and making an all star game now that Shaq's in the east could provide enough motivation Damp has a big year.

I'm looking forward to it, hopefully it will work out about as well as it did for Jamison.

4. Map1986

Map1986 JBB JustBBall Member

about the picks wtwalker77,

we get dallas's in '07 or '08

the other pick is philly's pick via atlanta via nj via denver....but there is a stipulation...

if philly finishes outside the bottom 8 next year in the lottery then nj gets there 05 pick and we get there '07 pick...

but if philly is in the bottom 8 at next years lottery than nj gets there '06 pick and we get 1 million cash from philly due to the protection on the pick we recieved from them...

5. Map1986

and about the chaney signing,

very good especially w/ najera and pietrus coming of shoulder sergery...

najera and pietrus a lock down defenders, and chaney is instant offense off the bench(as well as pietrus) so we now have very good options if richardson or dunleavy is struggleing out there..

6. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Map1986:</div><div class="quote_post">the other pick is philly's pick via atlanta via nj via denver....but there is a stipulation...

if philly finishes outside the bottom 8 next year in the lottery then nj gets there 05 pick and we get there '07 pick...

but if philly is in the bottom 8 at next years lottery than nj gets there '06 pick and we get 1 million cash from philly due to the protection on the pick we recieved from them...</div>

Man, you did a good job of describing the route of that draft pick, but my head's still spinning. [​IMG]

7. Map1986

well...it's pick info isn't done yet, it will be lottery protected, so...

we need to hope philly doesn't get a top 8 pick next year and is a playoof team in 2007...

8. sactomofo

sactomofo BBW Member

Is there any word yet on whether or not Charlotte is involved in this deal?

9. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

They are not.

10. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">They are not.</div>Are you positive because I keep hearing rumors that they are. They could just be that, rumors but you never know.

11. Custodianrules2

I would be happy to dump Laetner to Charlotte. I'd even take Jahidi. Actually not that crazy. Do they still have Zaur Pachulia? 6'11, tough defender has some post game. (actually I found out he is a buck now)

How about Eddie House. Having Claxton and House running around on offense would be a huge weapon for teams too slow to guard them.

12. Map1986

no charlotte involved...deal should be done tomarrow(tuesday)

two deals though...

1st Deal:

l8ner/najera/Trade exception(3 million cash)/rights to guard Luis Flores(rookie picked this year)/ rights to forward Mladen Sekularac (picked last year but is on the Yugoslavian basketball and still plays in europe...euro contract up last year for him)and one future 1st round pick for Dampier and eschmeyer

and the second trade is:

Dickau for future first round pick and cash...

13. Map1986

also,

l8ner is most likely to be bought out ASAP...

14. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Map1986:</div><div class="quote_post">also,

l8ner is most likely to be bought out ASAP...</div>Yeah I read the headlines on hoopshype.com and the Dallas newspapers are saying the same thing about a possible buyout. The guy is 35 year old pot smoking punk that doesn't want to work hard from what I've heard. Not a great role model for your rookies.

15. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">Are you positive because I keep hearing rumors that they are. They could just be that, rumors but you never know.</div>

Rumors shumors. Nothing I have read has been on an official page like ESPN or CNNSI.com

16. Custodianrules2

It's still early. It will be made official I bet later this afternoon or tonight.

17. Map1986

it's official: http://www.nba.com/warriors/news/dallas_trade_082404.html

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">The Golden State Warriors have acquired forwards Eduardo Najera and Christian Laettner, the draft rights to guards Luis Flores and Mladen Sekularac, two future first round draft picks and cash considerations from the Dallas Mavericks in exchange for re-signed center Erick Dampier, center Evan Eschmeyer, guard Dan Dickau, and the draft rights to Steve Logan , it was announced today by Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Mullin. </div>

[​IMG] we still had the rights to logan [​IMG]

18. Zhone

Zhone JBB JustBBall Member

Draft rights to Logan? I can't believe they gave that up! [​IMG] (Actually, I can't believe anyone would want those rights. Draft rights only last for 2 years, and he was picked in 2002, so it must not last for much longer just as Sekularac's rights since he was also drafted in 2002?)

Mladen Sekularac is a nice pickup as a throw-in to this trade. He's 23 and has had several years in Europe, and if he wants to play in the NBA he'll get a long look by the Warriors. (He wanted to stay in Europe the past few years.) I watched a small tape of him back in 2002 and he looked promising, unfortunately I haven't heard about him until now. Not really a pure shooter; he kind of reminded me of a taller Bob Sura. Maybe he's improved?

19. Custodianrules2

[​IMG] Oh now the trade is a bust we gave up Steve Logan! And he was so promising in the Israelli League.

Okay now seriously, Glad this trade went down. I've always been a proponent of getting Eddie Najera for several reasons: he brings more toughness on the court, he's a great shot, terrific defender, and he plays with blue collar heart and hustle.

20. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting meshgearfox:</div><div class="quote_post">Just an fyi folks, Dallas traded their own 1st rounder next year to Utah for the rights to Pavel, but they do have Atlanta's number one pick from the Terry/Walker trade. Obviously we'll keep our finger crossed, but if that's one of the picks we're getting and it's not protected: it aint chump change.</div>
    Oh man wouldn't that be a dream come true.