Dan Haren gets big results in spring game

Discussion in 'American League West' started by truebluefan, Mar 8, 2011.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

[​IMG]

"Angels pitcher Dan Haren didn't have to think long to remember the last time he was pulled from a no-hitter after just three innings.

"That's probably the longest I've ever had a no-hitter going," he joked Monday after cruising through the Chicago Cubs' lineup in a Cactus League exhibition at a windy HoHoKam Park. The Angels lost, 14-13.

In spring training, it's all about the work, not the results. But on this day Haren got both.

On the results side, he didn't allow a ball to leave the infield, facing only one batter over the minimum in his three innings.

On the work side, after walking Aramis Ramirez leading off the second, he got to practice pitching from the stretch. And he nailed that too, striking out the side.

Haren said he threw all five pitches in his repertoire but was especially happy with how his curveball was working.

"It was kind of a lost pitch for me at the end of last year," he said. "It's really come along this spring. It seems a little bit tighter.

"I don't throw 95 [mph]. I rely on moving the ball and throwing strikes. Today everything was down. And that's a focus for me every time I go out.""

Read more: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-angels-fyi-20110308,0,6403934.story