Dan Sheldon is a real ...

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Redhead32, Aug 25, 2016.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

As I understand, RCR actually paid Sheldon significantly more to replace Bunker than they were already paying Danforth, likely one of several elements that impacted their lack of on-air chemistry.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  2. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

Bunker wasn't making much, so it doesn't take much to make Sheldon "significantly" higher paid than him.

3. PtldPlatypus

I would fill the blank with "beginner"--because although he's got years of experience on TV, he's a complete novice to talk radio. For instance, the notion of interacting with the listeners was completely foreign to him when he first joined the show. He's slowly evolving his style, and slowly becoming a little more humble. By the time his first year is complete, it's very possible that he might actually be an enjoyable listen.

RipCityDSCPL likes this.
  4. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

You can get delicious catfish from Po'shines at the Moda during Blazer games.

Red Rooster likes this.
  5. PtldPlatypus

No doubt. I'm just saying that while he's obviously not getting 6-figures, they made an intentional choice to pay him more than their other on-air talent, so @Redhead32's contention that he's not going anywhere any time soon is probably valid.

6. PtldPlatypus

Part of the discussion was Dan claiming that simply frying catfish doesn't prove anything regarding the quality of catfish as an offering, because pretty much anything tastes good fried. As such, Jake made a point to start by preparing blackened rather than fried catfish, so as to overcome that objection.

7. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

You're a Dan fan boy. We'll call you Danboy for short.

8. PtldPlatypus

Yeah...not so much. I've been cracking back on Sheldon since day 1. I'm the one who bestowed the "Shel-Bot" moniker. At this point, he's just slightly a better option than Dusty and Cam. I'm hoping the new co-host (supposedly being announced Monday) makes the show significantly better than it is now.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  9. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

At least Dusty and Cam consistently talk about sports, and not catfish or what have you. I know its the offseason but every time I tune in to RCR now they are talking about something entirely unrelated.

Eastoff and Orion Bailey like this.
  10. PtldPlatypus

To each their own. I'd rather have interactive and semi-entertaining discussion about both sports and non-sports topics than bone-dry discussion of sports only.

Strenuus likes this.
  11. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

I dont think that's a bad thing. Sometimes I find the most entertaining/funny part of Primetime on 1080 is when Isaac and Suke talk about life, not sports.

Dougnsalem, Strenuus, Eastoff and 2 others like this.
  12. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    Endorsed by Manti Te'o!

13. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

To each there own. Sheldon is neither funny nor entertaining from that perspective.

Eastoff, BoBoBREWSKI and Orion Bailey like this.
  14. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

After the first week I stopped listening. 1080 seems to be much more entertaining to me.

TBpup, Eastoff and BoBoBREWSKI like this.
  15. PtldPlatypus

Shel-bot is a good punching bag though. The shows when Nigel Burton (my hope for permanent co-host) was on and learning about Sheldon's gated-community upbringing--classic! He himself doesn't necessarily have to be entertaining for the show to be. He really is your classic "straight man". The show improves as he continues to accept that role.

16. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Why are people still listening to him? Stop.

I haven't listened since Danforth left. Fuck that show. Fuck Sheldon. They took a great show about the Blazers and made it a joke.

17. BoBoBREWSKI

BoBoBREWSKI BURP!

I think it's obvious PtldPlatypus works for Rose City Radio or Comcast Sports Net. Or he's got a crazy man crush on Sheldon. :cheers:

18. PtldPlatypus

Jay Allen has co-hosted probably a third of the shows since Danforth's departure. Brian Wheeler has done several as well. A few of the other guest hosts have been interesting (Nigel Burton, Craig Birnbach, even listener/tweeter/chef Jake the Hater). Kirk the producer often says to Sheldon many of the things that we're all thinking. And even with Sheldon's general twitter disdain, it's still the most interactive show in the market.

19. PtldPlatypus

Nah--I've just got a lot of equity in with that show, having been one of the most prolific tweeters since day 1. Even when the host sucks, the other listeners have formed an online community that I'm not ready to simply abandon just because of talent turnover. You know, kind of like how I didn't just quit the forum when @SlyPokerDog became a mod. Sometimes, you just have to stick it through...

It's nice to have a broadcast platform on which my opinions can actually occasionally be heard, discussed, and responded to (in those situations when I have them). Can't really get that with Patrick, Eisen, Rome, Cowherd, or Mohr.

JFizzleRaider likes this.
  20. Redhead32

Redhead32 New Member

I agree with your sentiments obviously and I haven't listened much recently as I have been on vacation. I tuned in and found out that Danforth was gone and thus the carryover from the show with Bunker was dead. Having dreaded listening to Sheldon before my vacation it is dissapointing. I have a 45 minute commute between 6 and 7. It was great to listening to those guys after Blazer games the night before. Now... obviously the content should be Blazers so I will still give it a try, hope this guy gets better and hope a strong and entertaining personality joins him so that at least Blazer talk during the season will be enjoyable.