Darius Miles - A Leader?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Buckets, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Work rests on 4 shoulders
    Blazers, loaded with inexperience, call on Darius Miles, Zach Randolph for points
    By KERRY EGGERS Issue date: Fri, Nov 4, 2005
    The Tribune
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MINNEAPOLIS ? Darius Miles may have created a monster.
    Wednesday night in the Target Center, he was Scottie Pippen in his prime.
    Tonight in Denver?s Pepsi Center, Miles has to do it all over again.
    That?s going to be the mission all year for the Trail Blazers? 6-9 small forward, who put up superstar numbers in Portland?s season-opening 90-86 loss to Minnesota.
    Miles made 13 of 24 shots en route to 32 points, 11 rebounds, five assists, five steals ? the statistical crew shortchanged him in that department ? and three blocked shots in 42 minutes.
    Whoa!
    ?Overall, my performance was real good, but it really doesn?t matter if you got an ?L? behind it,? Miles says. ?You can?t tell anyone, ?I scored 32, but we lost.? It doesn?t sound right.?
    Miles seems to have taken his status as go-to guy ? along with Zach Randolph ? to heart.
    ?It?s my role, and Z-Bo?s role, to carry this team,? he says.
    Before the game, first-year coach Nate McMillan named Miles and center Joel Przybilla as co-captains. Mention it to Miles and you get the idea he doesn?t exactly consider it the highlight of his career.
    ?Doesn?t mean anything, really,? he says with a shrug. ?It?s just a ?C? on your jersey.?
    In any event, Miles was clearly playing with emotion, reacting demonstratively to good plays on the court and imploring his teammates to dig deep during timeouts.
    ?I want Darius to be a leader,? McMillan says. ?We don?t have a lot of veterans. He has to lead by example, and vocally, too.?
    In his last visit to Denver, Miles went for 47 points ? including 32 in the first half ? in a 119-115 loss to the Nuggets in April. Consistency, though, is what the Blazers need from the sixth-year forward. Too often during his first five years in the NBA, Miles was a young Pippen one night, an old Harvey Grant the next.
    ?We?re expecting him and Zach to be the flow of the offense,? veteran center Theo Ratliff says. ?Everybody else is playing off of them.?
    </div>

Link

--------------------------------------------------

I think Darius is capable of being a leader he just has to be consistent and put up more than he did last night. Telfair is really dissapointing me with his play in the first two games of the season. Darius had a great first game and then kind of died down the second game, If he could be consistent it'd be great for the Blazers they could have someone to bank on if Randolph was having his issues or not feeling the flow.

2. On_The_Rim29

On_The_Rim29 JBB JustBBall Member

It's just a "C" on your jersey? No it means your the leader Darius..

Really not something you would like to hear from one of your captains.

3. ItsShowtyme24

ItsShowtyme24 JBB JustBBall Member

If he keeps performin like he is,hes gonna have except the fact he is a leader on the team

4. phunDamentalz

phunDamentalz JBB JustBBall Member

he really said "it's just a "c" on your jersey"?
    what an ass clown.

5. TheAnswer2

TheAnswer2 JBB JustBBall Member

Oh relax, he was just expressing his acceptance of the "C". He'd look like an assclown if he got all excited and chipper.

6. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

Yea, I with Answer. He doesnt see it as a big thing in the sense of it being something to stress out about, he's got the C and he's accepted it so he's going to try to live up to expectations.