Darko's First Practices

Discussion in 'Detroit Pistons' started by Big D, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Big D

Big D JBB JustBBall Member

Looks like he'll be heading to the weightroom.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Associated Press
    AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Detroit Pistons rookie Darko Milicic learned an important lesson after his first NBA practice.

"I've got to get in better shape," he said Tuesday. "We don't run this much at home."

Milicic, the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, was at the Palace for the first day of workouts for younger players. Full training camp starts Friday.

The 18-year-old native of Serbia and Montenegro is not expected to have an immediate impact this season.

"You have to remember that the kid is 14 years old," joked coach Larry Brown. "He has tremendous skills, but he needs to get in better shape. He has a lot to learn. If he were an American, he'd probably be getting ready for his senior year of high school."

In some ways, though, Brown feels the 7-foot Milicic is further ahead in his game than American kids his age.

"In Europe, they spend a lot more time on fundamentals, and they don't lock kids into one position until they are 17 or 18," he said. "So Darko is sounder than our kids his age, and he has learned a lot of skills that only guards pick up over here. That will help him a lot."

Milicic practiced with a group of young players who are not expected to make the team. The only veterans taking part were last year's rookies -- Mehmet Okur and Tayshaun Prince.

"It's nice to have a year under my belt and not have to be the one that doesn't know what is going on," Prince said. "It is even harder for Darko, because of the language issue. He's going through the same things that Memo went through last season."

Okur, a native of Turkey, is hoping his experience as an Eastern European rookie will allow him to help Milicic make the adjustment to the NBA.

"I'm going to try to push him every day in practice and help him get better," he said. "And he knows that I'll do whatever I can to make things easier off the court. All he has to do is ask."

Milicic does not expect his career to take off instantly. He refused to put any expectations on his rookie season.

"I just need to work very hard and see what happens," he said. "I know that I will have to earn any playing time that I get." </div>

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1627375

2. jbbKing James

jbbKing James JBB Banned Member

Hope playing against Wallace in practice will make him more tough. Pistons play the Cavs in our first pre-season game, can't wait!

3. nkwu

nkwu JBB shoehead

was just about to post a similar post...even if its so old.

the "we don't run this much at home" doesnt sound reassuring.

4. How_High78

How_High78 JBB JustBBall Member

He should be able to get into running shape fairly quickly. At least he didn't say something like "Basketball? No, I played Handball in Serbia! ...what's Basketball?!" The point is that even 'Melo is talking about the need to get in shape and so is Bosh. It seems strange to me that you'd do much else as a pro athlete. You're paid to be in shape. Other than a few guys like Jason Spezza (different sport I know but the guy showed up to camp with the Senators cut out of stone... and more flexible and faster...) young athletes don't seem to get the point that in the big L you're going to have to be ready. Darko will be fine but he's going to go through a tough time at first. It's important to note that the Pistons will be fine without him for a while. They were a solid team before and then they got a top draft pick... now that's good Karma.

5. Trail_Blazer76

Trail_Blazer76 JBB JustBBall Member

This question has been asked on every other basketball forum that I'm on;

Has anyone actually seen the kid play?

6. Alley-oop

Alley-oop JBB JustBBall Member

I think the first half of the season he will adjust to the NBA and struggle. 2nd half of the season he should be contributing a little.