Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Ranger71, Feb 19, 2017.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

I could see Toronto being a player for him. They have tons of cap space and assets. Would they do a rental...not 100% sure, but they may be the team that says F it and goes for it since they haven't made the playoffs in a long time, and the Atlantic is wide open.

I still think at days end a 1st will be needed in any rental deal for Shatty, and that's why I don't think we get him. Some team will offer a 1st IMO.

2. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

What's interesting Chuck is you and a few others here are the same dumb fucks who didn't realize this team wasn't built for the playoffs last year. You also consistently fail to mention Rangers wins when the team is completely out played which they were in that Columbus game. The Ducks suck. They are not a contender. They are a joke. You make the same mistake every year. You can't separate in your brain the difference between a team built for the regular season and one built for the playoffs. The only thing interesting is the fact you still can't grasp this defense sucks ass when the stage is big. They don't have the picks or prospects to fix that at the moment.

3. kreidertime

We went through this horseshit with you and 4-5 other posters last year. This team is soft. The defense vs. elite players now sucks. They aren't built for the playoffs any longer. Period. You didn't believe that last year and they get assfucked by Pitt. No different except the team is better offensively this year. So instead of losing 6-3 and 7-2, they will lose 6-4 and 4-3.

4. RangersFan

Not sure who Chuck is, but I will respond to your posts aimed at I guess me and a few others.

We got your mantra man. Curse and insult people, I will leave that to you sir, so I will take the adult approach.

1. This is a team that has been to the ECF in 2012 and 2015. Been to the SCF in 2014. To see your comments you would think this is a failed franchise that hasn't done a thing in years and years.
    2. You have no clue what I felt last year as I wasn't even on these boards until this year. I actually wanted no part of the Pens, said they would whip us, and wanted the Atlantic bracket last season.
    3. I have clearly said the D needs to be upgraded for us to have any legit shot at a SC.
    4, I said we are a top 5 team +/- behind the Caps, Pens, Wild, Hawks.
    5. There is no way you can be a Ranger fan...just no shot. I have seen your posts in here now for the past few months and all you do is make up fake fantasy trades that have zero shot of happening, overvalue Ranger players YET at the same time say we suck, and talk about prospects and picks like they are more precious than a truck load of gold. It is funny stuff.

For us to make a long run the D needs to be improved...period. And it would also greatly help for us to be in the Atlantic bracket. That's it. From there you can insult away and curse everyone out.

5. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Even with Shattenkirk it's likely not a team that can beat either Pitt or Wash this year, maybe they somehow squeak by an Ottawa and MTL. If it costs anymore than that 'reported' 2nd/Gropp/Clendening type deal then forget it. Go at it with hopefully a more well rounded D next year and a 1st rounder in tow. Plus a year for PB and Vesey under their belts.

6. Ranger71

'Brain' Boyle to the Leafs and Burrows to Ottawa..sounds like the Isles are heavy on Duchene.

7. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Ahh dump well when they win the cup this year I am going to have more fun rubbing it in your face than I will rubbing it in the faces of my asshole Islander fans friends.

And when they dont win the cup (which is admittedly more likely) you can join them and other non-Rangers fans in rubbing it in mine.

8. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Good fit for Boyle. The guy knows how to win in the playoffs and TOR is a very young team. I hate Burrows, hope Ottawa drops like a rock now.

Isles on Duchene is interesting. Would they be able to take him on and still resign Tavares to big money given the situation the franchise is in? They still wouldnt scare me but obviously I hope he goes elsewhere.

9. RangersFan

My take on us right now is this:

As is we can win the Atlantic bracket. Not saying we will, but we can. We are better than the Atlantic teams, but not much better, so it would be a total coin flip between us/Boston/Montreal/Ottawa. Toronto scares me in that group, and added experience in Boyle. And Ottawa is always tough on us, and now added scoring in Burrows. Very very longshot to beat Pitt/Wash.

If we upgrade our D I think we'd be favored to win the Atlantic bracket. Again we could lose, but we'd be the favorite if we add a solid dman. Longshot to beat Pitt/Wash.

If we added Shatty I think we'd be the clear favorite in the Atlantic bracket. Could lose because this is the NHL playoffs, but a clear favorite. And if we get to the ECF we'd still be an underdog to Pitt/Wash, but have a shot to pull the upset. Not a big underdog.

10. RangersFan

I can't see the Isles being able to keep both guys. If they get Duchene that would be good for them.

Ottawa and Toronto scare me most in the Atlantic. Like their moves today. Not easy outs.

11. kreidertime

Some here constantly get caught up in the record. This team all year has shown it can't play defense on the highest level vs. the best offensive teams. I've never felt this team would make a serious run. Still don't. Just like last year.

12. RangersFan

The NHL trade deadline is Wednesday afternoon so the reports and rumors are flying around now like crazy. One popular one making the rounds is that the rival Pittsburgh Penguins and Washington Capitals could be doing battle over trying to acquire the best known defenseman on the trading block - the Blues Kevin Shattenkirk.

There are also reports that the New York Rangers -believed to be a team (if not THE team) Shattenkirk wants to sign with this summer are also in the running to trade for the talented defenseman this week.

13. RangersFan

If the Caps or Pens get Shatty...they would become the clear favorite. He would be a huge get for either one.

Rangers are really in an interesting spot. Pay now for a guy to make the run this year OR wait and hope to sign him this summer.

14. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Rumors have offer on the board for rangers and rumor is boo and a 1 for shatty

15. RangersFan

I really think it will take a 1st as I said earlier. I will be shocked if he gets dealt and a 1st isn't in the return package to the Blues.

Not always apples to apples, but Zona just got a 1st, a 2nd, and a 2nd or 3rd (depending on how far the Wild go) for Hanzal. STL is getting a 1st in the Shatty package.

16. Ranger71

Tough call on giving up a 1st again, but it seems we are going to be dealing with this until Lundqvist retires. If you trade the pick you probably end up picking in the 22+ range, and if not then perhaps as early as 16. Is the difference in players that different from 18-22? Maybe we go one more year w/o a 1st (and 2nd). I just don't know that there's enough on D even with Shatt to make the finals.

17. cagedlion

cagedlion "I am the problem, and I am the solution."

^^^^Precisely, Shatt would not make a difference on this team's D!

Teams like LA, TOR, STL are asking for J.T. Miller. Gorton would be crazy. But I'm sure there
    are some here would be OK with it as long as Rangers are making deadline trades.

Has anyone noticed what a disaster the Rangers' AHL affiliate is? Ranger org. Needs talent
    in their system.

BTW, Jonathan Quick is back in the LA net. LA is rejuvenated.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  18. RangersFan

I have not advocated dealing a 1st again AT ALL, but some of you guys so undervalue the Rangers it is funny. Would we be better than the Caps/Pens/Wild/Hawks and maybe the Sharks even if we add Shatty...maybe not, but to act as if we wouldn't be in the conversation with him added is crazy.

You start your D with McD and Shatty. Then have Staal, Holden, and Skjei. That is a really good 5, and we have a deep talented O, and we have a great goalie. So stop acting as if adding Shatty doesn't make a huge difference for us, because it does.

Now again I am not saying I would deal the 1st. I am not saying we'd be better than those 4 or 5 teams I mentioned. But darn sure we'd be in the conversation. And darn sure we'd be the clear favorite in the Atlantic bracket if we get the top WC. But even in the Atlantic we'd be no lock, the NHL playoffs has no locks in any round, including round 1.

Would I deal the 1st...I truly don't know. I'd lean no, but I also know dealing a pick in the 20's isn't a make or break. But I also know we have dealt a few picks in the 20's now. And I also know that at 34 Hank's window won't be open for that much longer.

So it is a tough call, a call that I think Gorton will stress over, and I truly am not sure where I'd land if the choice was on my desk on DL day. But I do think it will take the 1st as a start to get Shatty now.

19. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Sounds like shatty to caps is a done deal

20. RangersFan

Shattenkirk may be getting traded to Washington, according to multiple reports including St. Louis writer Jeremy Rutherford.

Not shocked. Like I said earlier today I just didn't see us getting him. We all know the Caps fall apart in the playoffs, never past round 2 with OV, but if they can't make a long run this year it will never happen. Team is loaded. That Pens/Caps series in round 2 will be a monster battle. Hopefully we'll be watching them pound each other from the other East bracket...:).

Will be interesting to see if Shatty resigns with the Caps. Could come down to how well they do in the playoffs. Plus the Caps will have a tough cap situation this off-season unlike last off-season. This may truly be a rental until he signs with us in July. Caps truly going ALL IN. Good for them.