Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Ranger71, Feb 19, 2017.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

Rick Carpiniello @RickCarpiniello
    Shattenkirk has been told he will play against the Rangers at MSG tomorrow.

And we get to face him at MSG tomorrow night...nice...:).

2. Disturbed

Disturbed Well-Known Member

Software
    Caps gave up Sanford #1 and #2. Good haul for Blues

3. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Caps clearly saying now or never.

4. Stepupstepan

Stepupstepan Well-Known Member

oh well. Good to see they did not overpay for the rental for once who they can get signed in the summer. Even more pressure on the craps now to win.

5. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

It'll be interesting to see whom if anyone we end up with. I saw the Wings were looking to sign Smith to an extension. I hope it's not Matt Hunwick. :(

6. RangersFan

I'll say this, good haul for the Blues, but not a monster haul. Not what Zona got for Hanzal.

The Blues get forward Zach Sanford, a 2017 first-round draft pick, and a conditional future second-round pick.

ESPN's Pierre LeBrun reports the conditional pick could be as high as a second-rounder or as low as a seventh-rounder, depending on factors such as whether Shattenkirk re-signs with Washington or is traded again before he hits free agency, or how far the Capitals progress in this year's postseason and how much Shattenkirk plays.

7. RangersFan

Shattenkirk can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. If the Capitals re-sign him to a contract that includes the 2017-18 season, or if they advance to the 2017 Eastern Conference Final and Shattenkirk plays in at least 50 percent of their playoff games in the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Blues will receive the Capitals' second-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.

If Washington trades Shattenkirk on or before July 1, 2017, the Blues will receive their next available seventh-round draft pick. But if the Capitals receive a draft pick in return for Shattenkirk that is a fourth-round pick or earlier, then, instead of the Capitals' next available seventh-round draft pick, the Blues will receive the Capitals' next available draft pick two rounds later than the earliest draft pick received by the Capitals for Shattenkirk.

For example, if the Capitals trade Shattenkirk for a third-round draft pick, the Blues would receive the Capitals' next available fifth-round draft pick.

8. RangersFan

So if the Caps finally make the ECF and get by the Pens, it will be a 2nd rounder (I will assume Shatty plays 1/2 the Caps playoff games). If they resign him it will be a 2nd rounder. But if they get bounced in round 2 again then it could be a 7th or maybe a 6th or 5th if the Caps deal his rights for a 4th or 3rd rounder.

So yeah good haul for the Blues, but not a mega haul like Zona got for Hanzal. And if they are bounced by the Pens it won't be a 2nd, it will be a 3rd or 4th I'd think since I'd expect the Caps to deal his rights for a 5th or 6th before July 1.

Great move by the Caps to deal a pick in the later 20's and maybe a mid-round pick for him. And if they do finally make the long run, they will have zero issues dealing a most likely second 1/2 of the 2nd round pick in 2019 along with the late 1st in 2017.

Love it for them. I have to think this puts pressure on the Pens to add someone prior to the DL just to keep up.

Also tells me no shot we deal out 1st this year. For us it would have been a 1st and 2nd to match the Caps because Shatty would have resigned here this July, which is another reason I didn't see us getting him now given how these conditional picks usually work, it was never going to be a tough condition for us to meet and bump the pick up, on top of the fact that there had to be a guaranteed 1st included.

So at days end I cannot kill Gorton, he made the right smart decision, for passing on a 1st in 2017 and a 2nd in 2019 (again we would have met the condition as soon as he resigned here in July) for Shatty.

Sucks that we have to play him game 1, sucks that the Caps look even better now, also puts some pressure on Gorton to add a dman prior to the DL, unless he says forget it we are not top 3 or 4 close, we'll wait until next year.

My take is he has to add someone on D so at the very least we have a pretty good shot of making it through the Atlantic. Then you let the chips fall where they may against the Caps/Pens in the ECF.

I do think we should be able to sign Shatty in July though because the Caps have a tough cap situation, but if he falls in love with DC and they make a nice run, he may want to stay there. Not far from the true Northeast.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  9. Ranger71

It's a stretch but you wonder if Shatt will be put off by us not wanting to give up what Wash did, when he probably I'm sure wanted to get dealt here. And if the Caps re-sign Oshie will that factor into him staying there. Though they have little cap space, even less room than we do into next season. We definately have to buyout Girardi and try and pass off or waive Klein. 5m right there between them.

10. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

Not a chance Shattenkirk signs with anybody else but NY IMO. A moronic deal if the Craps don't win it all. Thank God they saved us from making a idiotic, similar deal.

11. Ranger71

Just too risky to give up yet another 1st plus a 2nd and probably a prospect, for a team that isn't close like the Caps. I do have an uneasy feeling he may stay there but turning down NY and your fav team would be tough.

12. kreidertime

He's not going to stay there. Washington is a dump, full of liberal pussies.

13. RangersFan

I think it was a great deal by the Caps. They make the ECF or better and we are talking about a 1st in the very late 20's and a pick that will be later in the 2nd round in 2019 I'd think. If they get bounced again by the Pens in round 2 it is a late mid 20's pick and a 7th rounder (unless they can get a better pick by dealing Shatty's rights before July 1...which would be to their advantage).

That is a HR for a team in total win now mode. That isn't much, and it's way less than what the Wild gave up for Hanzal. A 1st, a for sure 2nd, and maybe even another 2nd if they make the WCF (a 3rd if they lose in round 2 to the Hawks).

Where do you value winning kreider? Do you really value the 28th pick over clearly increasing your odds to win a cup...really? Are DL prices high...YES, but that's the going rate. If you don't take your shots you fall behind the teams that make the DL moves. And the Caps are right there, and haven't dealt away a whole bunch of 1st's like we have. I knew a 1st was a must, you see how these DL deals work.

For us it was a good no move. We aren't as good as the Caps, plus it would have been a lock 1st and 2nd because Shatty would resign here making the 2019 pick a 2nd rounder regardless of results in the playoffs this year. So good no move by Gorton, I agree totally. We aren't on the same level as the Caps right now...that's reality...let alone all the picks we have traded the past few years.

As for him signing here this summer, I'd say we are the favs, but you never know. He falls in love with DC, the Bruins make a huge offer, we make a good offer but won't go near 6 mill per. A lot of things can happen.

I would say he'll sign here for upper 5's per long term...maybe a 5.7 or 5.8 AAV (a little NY discount), but if we don't offer mid to upper 5's per he won't come here, and he may want 6 per, which is what he turned down from TB. So it is no lock...things can happen.

As for today/tomorrow, Gorton needs to add a dman, let's see what he can get done. I have faith in him.

14. kreidertime

Of course you think it was a great deal Chuck. You love pissing away picks and top prospects for offensive defenseman. See Yandle which was a complete bust.

15. RangersFan

Again...not sure who Chuck is, but I will assume you are replying to my post.

1. You have no clue how I felt about the Yandle deal since I just started posting on this board this season. I actually didn't love the Yandle deal, didn't hate it but didn't love it either, but I do think it is the worst deal we have made over this past few season stretch.
    2. All you care about are picks and prospects. You would be the perfect GM for a team in the middle of no where that never actually wants to win, but loves to deal for picks and prospects. Rinse and repeat. Are you the GM of the Arizona Coyotes.
    3. The fact that you would see a team that is # 1 in the league and clearly a big SC threat deal a pick in the late 20's for Shatty and say it was a bad deal is all anyone needs to know. The second pick only becomes a 2nd if he is NOT a rental and signs long term with the Caps OR if they make the ECF at least. So zero downside I don't believe. If he stays fair price. If they get past the Pens to the ECF at least, they would take that in a heartbeat.

Great deal for the Caps IMO, and WAY less than what the Wild paid for a lesser player in Hanzal.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  16. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Come on dude, this is getting a little bizarre.

Also, I dont think this is a good deal for the Caps. They already have Carlson and Niskanen on the right side. Carlson has been running the point on their powerplay for a few years now and is damn good there. He isnt great defensively, so Shattenkirk may help in that regard, but why pay such a premium for a guy who also brings offense from the back end when it isn't a huge need?

To me it looks like the Caps were also paying up to keep him away from Pitt (who clearly needs D help) and us (who needs D help even more than Pitt). They paid a very expensive price for a guy who doesnt fill an obvious need the way Yandle filled one for us.

17. nj cup

nj cup Member

if he isn't that good defensively then why would the pens need him if they clearly need help on d?

i personally think you guys should've dealt a 1st and 2nd if thats all it took to land him. yeah i know your going to say we have no picks and this and that but honestly your more then HALFWAY through a hard regular season grind and you have to think whoever comes out of the east will probably win the cup. that being said why wait til the summer to land him and then have to start the grind all over again? what if lundqvist rips up his knee in october? out for the year? your this close i say go all in.

in all honesty your pick and the caps pick would be in the late 20s so who cares? if it gives you a little better chance at winning the cup? a pick at #25-30 this year isn't going to solve your prospect pool 5 years from now. unless you hit the lotto and draft a star player that late in the draft.

just my .02 i'm glad as a devils fan you didn't land shatenkirk at the deadline. go ahead and get him in the summer for "free" but you have to start the daily grind all over again and hope to be back in this spot next year.

18. theProdigy223

Carlson isnt that good defensively. My very next sentence says Shattenkirk will help in that regard (as in, he will help defensively).

And our pick being in the late 20s matters more because we havent had a first round pick since Brady Skjei in 2012. Four straight years with no first rounders, last year with no second rounder as well. Given the state of our farm our first rounders are much more important to us than the Caps' first rounders are to them. We can't keep banking on college FAs like Hayes and Vesey to make up for those. Im glad we sat this one out.

19. theProdigy223

Also, for what it's worth, Ive seen from multiple insiders now that the roster player the Blues wer demanding from us was Buch, and it was non-negotiable. Another reason for us to sit tight.

20. RangersFan

It is funny to me that all you guys think I am this Chuck dude...I AM NOT.

Anyway, I guess I don't see the premium. Oh no the 29th pick in the NHL draft...not a huge deal unless you have traded 1st after 1st year after year. The 2nd is only a 2nd if they make the ECF or Shatty resigns with the Caps, neither of which are a given. But if either happen the Caps would be delighted I'm sure. A trip to the ECF means they beat the Pens and play a lesser Atlantic team in the ECF, so good shot a SCF berth is there as well.

They added the most impact dman on the market, a top 4 dman, who scores 40 plus points a season, and they did it for the 29th pick +/-. AND they kept him away from the Rangers and Pens, their two biggest challengers in the East.

Grand slam for the Caps IMO. And if they lose to the Pens in round 2...okay they dealt the 27th pick and a 7th for Shatty...oh no. Go look at what the Wild dealt for Hanzal.