Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Ranger71, Feb 19, 2017.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

And I totally agree with you on our situation 223. We have dealt too many 1st's recently. And we are not in the Cap's position either of being one of the clear top teams. We are right there on the edge maybe. They are a clear top team. So smart for us to sit this one out.

I actually read Gorton would deal the 1st, but no way deal a top 9 forward, and Buch was in that category.

Smart move to pass, now go add another dman by tomorrow at 3 PM.

2. nj cup

nj cup Member

but thats what i mean you are already 150% commited to win now by not having those picks for the last 4 years and have nothing to show for it. so really what is 1 more year without a late round pick? i can see if the rangers were a bubble team then yeah obviously you don't trade the pick away but give me the player that can help me TODAY have a shot at winning the cup instead of a pick at #27 that maybe might help 5 years from now. your basically putting a band-aid on your prospect pool imo.

yes you have to start somewhere with building for the future but imo you don't do it when your one of 5 teams that have a legit shot at the cup and like i said i really think whoever comes out of the east will win the cup. they will at the least be favorites to win the cup. instead? he gets dealt to your rival who your going to maybe face in the playoffs? i agree if the price for the rangers was more then what the caps paid i would hesitate a bit but just going by what the caps paid its a no brainer.

caps win the cup this year you think they care if they dont have a pick in the draft?

3. nj cup

nj cup Member

i agree that the caps and pens are in a higher "class" then the rangers but your kidding yourself if you dont think in a 7 game series its not a big difference.

4. RangersFan

I have no clue what your point is nj. Right now the Caps and Pens are better than the Rangers...that is reality. In the NHL playoffs things happen though. If we add a dman and are lucky enough to meet one in the ECF, we'll give it our best shot and go from there. All we can do.

As I said yesterday, to me the Rangers are the 5th +/- best team in the NHL. Wild, Hawks, Pens, Caps better. Sharks and maybe the BJ's right in same area. Again that's reality.

My advice to you is focus on the Devs who have a LONG way to go to even get into the conversation to be an average team.

5. nj cup

nj cup Member

lol whatever bro just coming over to have a hockey talk thats all.

6. RangersFan

I hear you...

7. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Well I think it's a combination of two things. To a lesser extent, you have to stop that mentality at some point. Not saying make a hard stop this year no matter what, but definitely taking a longer look at when you use that kind of currency.

And taking that longer look leads into the second part: the Caps and Pens are damn good. They are the clear favorites. If we were in the Caps seat, and Shattenkirk would be the piece to put us over the edge, I might say yeah fuck it let's saddle up and go.

Based on our current situation I think we would have had a great chance with him (I still think we have a good chance without him) but not such a great chance that it's worth giving up yet another first and going 5 years with no first rounder.

My point on why it doesnt make sense for the Caps was only that he didnt seem to fill a big need for them. If the Caps had defensive problems but were still the clear favorite, by all means go for it. Looking at their team it just didnt seem like Shatty was what they needed to be buying. Which is why I brought up the fact that they may have been just as motivated by the idea of keeping him away from the Pens/Rangers.

I think we can still improve the back end without giving up that first rounder and get closer to the Pens/Caps than we are right now. I have faith Gorton is going to find somebody and put us in a good position to be very competitive come playoff time.

8. RangersFan

I agree with everything you said 223.

But I believe Shatty does make the Caps better, and even deeper on D.
    They didn't give up a ton by trading the 29th pick in the NHL draft.
    And even if the motivation was keep him away from the Rangers and especially the Pens, it was worth it IMO. Imagine if the Pens added him to their pile of studs upfront? They would be the favorite's I believe. So that also makes it a good move by the Caps.

As for us, same page. Go add another dman to improve the back end for a lesser cost. No issues there.

9. nj cup

nj cup Member

i get the caps being in a better position to win then the rangers now but its kinda like a damn if you do damn if you don't type deal. i think anyone of the teams in the metro pens/caps/ny/jackets can win the east. thats just too tempting to me esp since you have committed so much to this win now. it really sucks too for the rangers imo because the west is finally weak enough to be beaten but this is now when the east is on the up tick and coming out of the east is the problem.

another thing if the rangers did trade for him they would then be able to offer him an 8 year deal instead of 7 to cut down term on any deal he does sign come july.

10. RangersFan

And Girardi is now out 10-14 days. Klein is still out most likely, but closer. So Kampfer was called up for tonight.

Gorton needs to add a dman, otherwise even the Atlantic bracket may not be enough for us. The teams over there added a couple of pieces already.

11. RangersFan

Wild and Hawks are not weak. I disagree nj.

12. theProdigy223

They're not weak, but I agree that the west as a whole is weaker than it has been. Hawks depth has dried up after giving those huge deals to Toews/Kane and we all know how important depth scoring is in the playoffs. Hard to be that scared of MIN but can't deny they are playing very well right now.

13. nj cup

nj cup Member

no they aren't "weak" but i'm not really sold on the wild until they can actually do something in the playoffs. i know that dub is having a great year and all but still until they can get past the hawks in the playoffs they aren't a threat. the hawks aren't what they use to be yeah they are still a very very dangerous team but making run after run takes a toll on you.

id be much more worried about the teams in the east getting through them

caps pens can easily beat the hawks or wild i think. rangers i think could also beat either one of them. jackets? i dont trust them right now. i think they are a 1st round ko

14. RangersFan

I happen to like the Wild a lot. They need to prove it though, and a 2nd round matchup with the Hawks will be tough. Meanwhile the Sharks will cruise to the WCF in the Pacific bracket.

I don't buy the BJ's either. Since their streak they are just over .500 overall. I think the Rangers are better. And yes the BJ's will lose round 1 to the Pens. No shame there, but an L is an L.

15. theProdigy223

McKenzie says we're about to get Brendan Smith. Picks only (no first rounder).

I like him and I especially like the fact he has a bit of a mean streak. Way too soft on the back end and it's been a problem for years.

16. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Deal is done for a second and a third. The second is Ottawa's 2018 pick the Rangers had previously acquired and the third is the Rangers 2017 pick.

17. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Minnesota is a solid deep team. That was a nice trade they made with Arizona to get Hanzal. It looks like they will be slotting Haula as a wing on the second line now.

18. RangersFan

I wonder if the Rangers are done. Considering there are 23 hours left until the DL, would they try to add another player. I wonder...

19. theProdigy223

Bodie is out for another AHL player. I know 71 always had a thing for him so figured I'd point it out :)

He's old for a prospect now and obviously wasnt going to get a spot up here over Graves and probably Gilmour either. Good luck to him in BUF.

20. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Paid way too much for a 20 game rental. Hoped gorton learned his lesson from last year but see he hasn't. A 2nd and a 3rd for brendan smith?? really!!