Politics Defunding the Portland Police Dept.

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by e_blazer, Jun 16, 2020.

?

Are you more in favor of:

1. 1. Abolishing the Portland Police entirely.

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. 2. Severely restrict the Portland Police and turning some functions over to social services.

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. 3. Restrict use of deadly force, retrain, and get rid of bad cops.

14 vote(s)
    56.0%
  4. 4. Have different policies for different neighborhoods based on community makeup.

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. 5. Leave things pretty much as is.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    There's an article up on OLive about what folks who want to defund the Portland Police are seeking:

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/202...e-the-local-abolition-movement-explained.html

So, while the devil is always in the details, I'm just curious how folks on this board feel about the proposals.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Honestly, I would like a combination of 3 and 4.

3. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Yeah, I agree. I think 3 is pretty much a given as a minimum.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  4. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Hence the votes so far. :)

Good poll Q.

5. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    I see 3 as the only realistic option. The others will only likely create problems.

6. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

To me in an open society each State/City need's to have a Police/Peace Force that is well trained with community oversight participation. It need to be a joint effort or community and police.
    The Mayors and Politicians/Unions have prevented imo, a better way to address each community. A progressive State, and City such as Portland should have paved the way for this years ago but politics gets in the way.
    Personally I think there is huge room for improvement but I also believe policing has improved from the 50/60's too.
    Im not thrilled about what I see in the six blocks of Seattle and would never want or tolerate that in my six blocks.

7. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

3 for sure.

I see El Prez voted - 1 vote for abolish the police

My issue with #2 is I think it has to be less about turning over functions and more about improving the liason between the police and social services. Severely restrict? What restrictions are we talking about. Severely?

Not sure about #4. If one policy doesn't work everywhere maybe it's not a good policy. Based on community makeup means basing it on race right. Isn't #4 part of the problem right now.

And #5 is not an option. We can't leave things as they are.

8. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

We need a cultural seachange. Changing the rules will accomplish little to nothing.

yankeesince59 and Chris Craig like this.
  9. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    My thought in posting #4 was that I think that there's going to be a ton of blow-back by predominantly white areas of town about getting rid of policing in their neighborhoods. I listed it as an option more as a spit-balling kind of thing. I'm not in favor of it in general, but maybe someone can come up with something that makes sense as to how areas of town that feel threatened by the police could be dealt with differently than areas that feel more secure with police presence.

Orion Bailey likes this.
  10. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

The issue with that is, if a Black man is treated one way in his community, goes to another community and is treated another way...that is the cause of many of our current problems.

11. Hoopguru

12. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Just like in education though, different communities and regions may require different things. Maybe this community is ridden with more crime, so it needs a policing of day, 60% armed and 40% community service oriented policing.

But maybe this community is low in crime and only needs 30% armed policing and the rest for community servicing(visiting schools and giving educational speeches, etc)

I personally don't believe there is one answer that fits all and that's part of the problem is we think there is and inevitable leaves certain people behind because the "universal" answer dosnt work for them.

13. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

I voted #2. A lot of situations call for an unarmed intervention. Whether you classify these unarmed people as cops or not doesn't matter to me.

Right now we always send people with guns, which makes a lot of situations worse rather than better.

barfo

ehizzy3 and Chris Craig like this.
  14. Chris Craig

Orion Bailey likes this.
  15. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    As I was envisioning it, #3 would apply everywhere and would, in theory, take care of equal treatment of citizens regardless of race. In #4, I was more thinking along the lines of specific functional things that might be operated differently in certain neighborhoods. Maybe officers walk a beat, and/or there is a predominance of Black officers. Maybe in those neighborhoods there is an emphasis on social services/mental health experts handling certain types of calls. Maybe there are different policies on how certain things are handled, such as cases like Atlanta where a guy isn't causing any particular problem, he's allowed to go home after being ticketed and his car impounded. It just seems to me that neither the status quo nor the disband/defund option is going to be acceptable in all parts of town.

16. Chris Craig

Officers definitely need to be retrained. More training in conflict resolution and mental illness.

All uses of force need to be reviewed by an independent source, not by the police department they work for. A source outside of the police. If the cops know they that they are being held accountable by a source outside the department, and not being shielded by fellow brothers in blue, maybe they will be less likely to use force.

Body cameras on 24/7

17. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    2, 3 and 4. This should be multiple choice.

ehizzy3 and Orion Bailey like this.
  18. Hoopguru

amazed me at how casual he was about. And he was on a public sidewalk.

Chris Craig likes this.
  19. Hoopguru

In Oregon that would be a second degree assault. The fact the lady was elderly should be 1st degree assualt.

The reason this irks me is as a society many young people have no respect especially for Elders. This is a classic example.
    When there are no fathers in the home and kids run wild and are not taught some basic respect and discipline this is what you get.

Chris Craig likes this.
  20. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    People should all be treated equally. You can't have different rules for different races.

Chris Craig and Hoopguru like this.