Free Agent Dennis Smith Jr. to Training Camp

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I don't think how many minutes the 8th man on this roster plays is going to be critical to us becoming a contender.

This ship will likely sink IF Dame demands a trade. I didn't feel this team was a contender before Dennis Smith Jr and this move hasn't changed that feeling.

I hope Billups adds 10 wins, I hope Zeller/Nance/Snell are battling for 6 man of the year, and Dame is so thrilled at the end of the season that he commits to retiring here. I just don't except any of those things.

2. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'

Here's betting Kris Dunn shortly becomes available. Memphis needs to LOSE bodies, not add them. (And yes, this is relevant to this thread because Dunn is another tenacious defender at PG whom I can see Olshey also inviting to camp.)

3. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Ahhhh... My favorite Collins moment!

"FUCK YOU HOE!! FUCK OUT MY FACE"

- Zach Collins

4. JoshuaHall

JoshuaHall Well-Known Member

How many minutes the 8th man gets doesn’t really matter, correct
    But it does matter when injuries happen and 6th man is now starter or 7th man is now 6th man.

it also helps being able to play more than 5-6 players in the playoffs so players like Dame don’t get gassed IN THE FIRST ROUND.

people love looking at one single issue and not the entire scope of the picture

All I hope to see is a well coached basketball team on both sides of the ball. However the record shakes out, is how it shakes out. I have a strong belief that we won’t be losing to an injured team in the first round, if that’s the case.

HailBlazers likes this.
  5. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    If there's anyone whose career arc can give Smith hope that his career in the NBA could take an upturn, it's Chauncey Billups...

6. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I believe the entire scope of the picture, which I've pointed out in multiple threads, points to a this once again being a team that loses in the 1st or 2nd round, as we have done for 6 of the last 7 seasons. Of all the people saying "this year will be different", I have yet to see one person who would bet this team is likely to be a true cotender who can get to the WCF or past. Personally, I can still really enjoy a season where we get bounced in the 1st/2nd round and I've got mocked for that numerous times. My concern this year is that Dame has made indications that he is no longer statisfied with a roster that ends the season with those results. I do care if Dame is going to demand a trade because I very much like him being apart of the organization. Having said all that, I believe moving around a bunch of guys making the vet min on the bench will not produce enough for Dame's desires and therefore I'm not thrilled that our big FA addition is Cody Zeller and our big trade is for a bench guy with injury history. I like Zellers game as a backup, I like Nancy's skill set, I'm excited to see what Billups does... but looking at entire scope of the picture, I don't think those marginal moves are going to be near enough.

When I gave last seasons moves a B- because I didn't think they changed the core issues of the team, people thought I was being unfairly negative and single issued as well.

7. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

It’s super early but DSJ leads the team in DBPM. He’s also showing an ability to run the offense and create for others; his assist % is second only behind Dame. I think he should stay in the rotation, at least for the time being, when Powell returns. It also makes Simons’ job easier.

shit like this

8. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

We might actually need a 10 man rotation when Powell returns.

Dame Smith
    CJ Simons
    Powell Little
    Roco Nance
    Nurk Zeller

RickyJoe, Natebishop3 and Scalma like this.
  9. Shaboid

Shaboid Well-Known Member

I said it in the game thread last night but I think it's worth saying again. He kind of reminds me of Andre Miller, except he can actually jump over a phone book.

riverman, Scalma and HailBlazers like this.
  10. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

I really hope we keep him.

11. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
    Who will lose minutes if he gets more?

12. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    I doubt he plays much once Norm is back, but he's a heck of an insurance policy.

13. Fairly-Hard

Fairly-Hard Former Member Gone New!

Yeah Norm is better but if Lillard or CJ or just as we have seen with Norm out a game or two they can deal with it.