Derek Fisher is a Warrior!

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Rudeezy, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Derek Fisher is a Warrior!!!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">While the Lakers got the most important member of their starting five back on Thursday, they also lost one of their clutchest playoff performers. Point guard Derek Fisher agreed to a six-year, $37 million deal with the Golden State Warriors, agent Mark Bartelstein told ESPN Insider Chad Ford. The deal is for the Warriors full mid-level exception. The choice for Golden State is interesting, as just last summer they signed point guard Speedy Claxton to a multi-year deal and traded for point guard Nick Van Exel. The Lakers, Heat, Rockets and Sonics also pursued Fisher this summer.
    </div>

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1840670

2. Emo

Emo Active Member

Holy Smokes!! Where did this come from?

3. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

Good pick up for the warriors, infact a really good pick up but who will his back court partner be by the end of this off season?? So many rumors about J-Rich being traded.
    BTW is he a Restricted free agent or unrestricted?

4. Rudeezy

I can't believe the Lakers, Heat and the freaking Rockets couldn't land Fisher. I'm guessing NVE will be gone in a S&T deal with Damp.

5. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting buckets_42:</div><div class="quote_post">Good pick up for the warriors, infact a really good pick up but who will his back court partner be by the end of this off season?? So many rumors about J-Rich being traded. </div>
    J-Rich is not going anywhere unless a team offers Mullin a deal that blows his socks off.

6. Duckmyster

Duckmyster JBB JustBBall Member

whoa that came out straight out of left field. The only reason that I can think of the signing has to be that Mully is going for chemistry and the x-factor. Will fisher start over speedy? I never thought that I would see the day when the Warriors would sign a Laker. Whatever you do Mully don't get that stiff Slava Medevenko or Devean George. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Rudeezy

Why would the Lakers let him go?! Now they have yet another huge hole to fill.

8. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

Umm... Frankly, I am shocked. Don't we kinda need to save cash to resign Richardson, Dunleavy, Murphy, Pietrus or Speedy? Why would we want spot up 3 pts shooter for 6+ mils per years? Why did we have to outbid Fisher? Why couldn't we wait and sign some cheap veterans or young guys when all the money dry up? Why couldn't we sign Dampier for 10 mils, instead of Foyle/Fisher for 14 mils? Dang, Fisher could not hold up his own when he played with Shaq and Kobe. I simply don't see him being anything more than back up PG. So, who will be our starting PG? Natually, Speedy is much better than Fisher, but will 3 mils PG start over 6 mils PG, especially when he is just signed? Not happy... Not happy at all...

9. runtmc

runtmc JBB JustBBall Member

Holy crap, is Speedy getting the bone again? Or will we soon see Damp and Speedy in a nice neat package heading somewhere? This is just a bit strange.............................

10. Rudeezy

I don't really know what to make of this yet. It is exciting in a way because you have to love Fishers game. He brings it all.

This also means that there will be more activity before this offseason is finished. Could NVE and Damp be shipped out together in a S&T? I have faith in Mullin's judgement and I think this is a sign of good things to come.

11. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

Well, there goes the Warriors cap space for the next several years. I'm not real happy about this. Mullin got NVE and Robinson with the idea of having a lot of cap space next year. By signing Foyle and Fisher, he's essentially eliminated the possibility of the Warriors signing someone to a max deal next year.

It seems like Mulln is having at least as much difficulty figuring out the direction to take this team as Saint did. Last year it was: get rid of the long term contracts, develop the core, and sign a big free agent in two years. This years it's: sign veterans to long term, moderately sized deals and persue a marquee player through a trade.

They might as well make the Memphis trade now, because if they want to acquire a big time player its going to be through a trade, and Swift would be just as good a piece to trade as anyone else.

Here's my problem with the Fisher signing though: who starts at pg? I'd prefer Speedy to start, but I don't understand why Fisher would sign here instead of a team like Houston unless he was promised the starting position. This just doesn't make a lot of sense.

12. bbwTwinTowers

bbwTwinTowers BBW Member

The Warriors are forgeting about Speedy Claxton.

13. wtwalker77

That's why I love having you here Kwan, we think exactly the same way. I think from here on out I'm just going to wait until you post, then copy it and say, "Yeah!"

It will save me the time of having to type out my own response.

14. Clif25

Clif25 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't really know what to make of this yet. It is exciting in a way because you have to love Fishers game. He brings it all.

This also means that there will be more activity before this offseason is finished. Could NVE and Damp be shipped out together in a S&T? I have faith in Mullin's judgement and I think this is a sign of good things to come.</div>

I hate Derek Fisher's game. He is the biggest flopper in the league. He is very inconsistant. And he doesn't really bring anything that will say that he is that good. He can knock down a lot of open shots, and make a few acrobatic shots at times. But I don't really like his game. And I agree with Kwan, in that we could had gotten someone of Fisher's abilities for a lot cheaper.

And please explain how you see good things to come. I have only seen Mullin make uneccesary move after uneccessary move(NVE/JamisonWelsch deal, Musselman firing, Foyle's and Fisher's signing equaling 14 million dollars when it's Dampier the Warriors need most out of both of those players combined) . I don't see anything that says he's going to turn this team around or make it a contender, which we all hoped he would do. There might be more moves ahead. But I don't see the signal that says good things are going to come. What is it? because it seems as if you see it and I don't.

15. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

Another pointless signing by Golden State

First they sign Foyle a 3 and 4 player who can block shots to a freaking 41 million contract now Fisher with 37 million? these GM's are going mad and stupid at the same time.

I never realised the Warriors hired Scott Layden, two horrible contract signings. Fisher is a good player, don't get me wrong but not for that much or for those amount years. He isn't even needed in GS. They already have two good point guards as it is.

16. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Clif25:</div><div class="quote_post">I hate Derek Fisher's game. He is the biggest flopper in the league. He is very inconsistant. And he doesn't really bring anything that will say that he is that good. He can knock down a lot of open shots, and make a few acrobatic shots at times. But I don't really like his game. And I agree with Kwan, in that we could had gotten someone of Fisher's abilities for a lot cheaper.
    </div>I agree that we could have got someone for cheaper that had about the same talent. He is a good defensive player. You say he flops but doesn't he get the call most of the time? Its all about position.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">
    And please explain how you see good things to come. I have only seen Mullin make uneccesary move after uneccessary move(NVE/JamisonWelsch deal, Musselman firing, Foyle's and Fisher's signing equaling 14 million dollars when it's Dampier the Warriors need most out of both of those players combined) . I don't see anything that says he's going to turn this team around or make it a contender, which we all hoped he would do. There might be more moves ahead. But I don't see the signal that says good things are going to come. What is it? because it seems as if you see it and I don't.</div>Its called wishful thinking. I love this team and I find it hard to believe that we will have all 3 PGs at the beginning of next season. Before I start ripping Mullin and the organization I am going to wait and see how this plays out.

17. Kwan1031

Kwan1031 JBB JustBBall Member

I don't know... My trust toward Mullin has been shot one too many times after he became VP. Major problem with Saint was that he overpaid players and lost a freedom to move salary around. We finally got that freedom and we wasted it on Foyle and Fisher, two solid veterans with no upsides. At this point, I have hard time saying that Mullin is better GM than Saint.

`Biedrins draft: drafting Biedrins seems to be a good move at this point. The main problem was that any GM's grandson knew Warriors wanted him long time ago. We were darn lucky that no top 10 teams didn't want to risk another Darko/Tsuki... the guy in Denver fiasco. We could easily be in a situation when other GM hostage Biedrins to fry up something from Warriors.

`Foyle: I can live with 6/42. He may be relatively overpaid, but considering all other ridiculously big FA signing, Foyle's deal isn't bad. But, no matter how much I try to make a positive spin, 5/42 just isn't a good sign for a guy who just had horrible contract year. We will see.

`Fisher: What Fisher brings is a veteran savvy from 3 times championship. What he does not bring is a game excluding 3 pts. I mean, why? Why did Mullin feel that desperate to add yet another PG? Don't we have Speedy, NVE and even Dunleavy? Heck, Richardson can also bring the ball as well. I really don't see a good reason why we overpaid Fisher for 6+ mils...

18. wtwalker77

Mullin has to have an NVE trade in the works right now. I dunno, Dallas is really working the phones trying to improve, maybe we'll see a revival of talks there.

I have to imagine a trade is going to come soon. You don't make a deal like this unless you already have a plan for moving NVE.

19. Duckmyster

Duckmyster JBB JustBBall Member

Mully must want to try to make the playoffs now but still maintain the young core of the Warriors. Is fisher a flopper? Hell yeah, but at least he will be flopping for the Warriors, not to mention that he does get into players skins with his defence. He will be a good locker room influence not to mention a team first player and a good cluth shooter. I can honestly say that fisher is a Mully type of player, hard nose defender,dosen't demand the ball and most importantly a nice insurence in case speedy or van exel get hurt.

20. Mister Jennings

Mister Jennings JBB JustBBall Member

Can Fisher be traded right away or is there a waiting period? It seems like he'd be perfect for the Pacers who could use a spot up, defensive minded guard, my problem if we keep him is, he is not really a point. I am shocked right now and waiting for the next move with beted breath.